cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today I Sold My Vive Here's Why

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
It's perhaps music to some people's ears no doubt and possibly some of you might wonder why the song and dance. Well... you might not be surprised by my reasons and others who care to read might paid heed in case they feel the need.  More importantly it could be a warning once Touch releases because the same thing might happen there too.  Anyway. I've been pretty much a hardcore supporter of the Vive hardware and still am since owning it from the day it released. It uses great technology and certainly is what I envisioned VR to be as a massive upgrade from the DK2 I owned and Gear VRs.  It has been well used in my living room space where I tend to spend less time due to dwelling more in the bedroom (I live in a one bedroom flat with the missus).  The bedroom is home to my desk, PC, consoles and other bits and bobs. A hole in the wall allowed the Vive to be connected to the living room without having to move my desk and PC. 

Of late, well the last two or so months I've not really felt the need to play the Vive so much having rinsed out the excellent Raw Data, AudioShield, Holopoint and several more cool games that make good use of Roomscale. So the Vive has taken a back seat in favour of me being more comfortable and playing seated experiences with the Rift which I'd attribute to a lack of enticing games to keep me coming back and generally coming from playing 2D seated games. I love roomscale and definitely feel it can put you into the game far more than just sitting on a chair, but to honest I've spent way more time enjoying the likes of Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Fallout 4 in psuedo VR using Vorp X or Tridef - spending many hours at a time being immersed in those games versus spending half hour or so getting sweaty playing roomscale full-on experiences. Being frank, the Rift has been more comfortable for this type of playing for hours on end despite the narrower fov.

The problem with the Vive aside from its clunky design is the fact that the software that I expect from VR isn't there to drive it once you've rinsed out the few must play games. There's lots of indie games available but most don't do it for me and even the ones that show promise aren't finished or are on par with what I expect from video games. Sadly Valve's lack of investment in the Vive and a killer app from them such as Half Life VR or L4Dead VR has muted my enthusiasm and now that Touch is on the horizon I feel there no need to own two VR devices performing essentially the same function. I also have a PSVR which as far as I can tell is kicking it with its software right now and looking forwards into 2017.  It might have been a different story had there been numerous exclusive Vive games to keep me in the fold but even Raw Data and Onward  (arguably two of Vive's best games) are coming to the Rift.  Outside of gaming, the Rift offers the same experiences you can get with the Vive and more so once Touch launches for those  interactive roomscale adult VR game moments, movie viewing and general VR experiences.

So you might ask, why keep the Rift and sell the Vive and not the other way around? Well, Oculus has shown more of a commitment to providing software whereas the Vive has been more experimental in my view. However, the same relegating thoughts could be levelled at the Rift also once the Touch honeymoon period is over and the software dries up (which may or may not happen, one can only speculate).  The long and short of it is I will be happy to buy a Vive all over again if and when there's more development with it software wise, but until then it's simply not worth holding on to which is why today I sold it for paltry £450 to my local CEX. I feel confident I got £300 worth of entertainment from it since buying it though.

TL:DR perhaps stating the obvious here but if there isn't enough enticing software for your VR product of choice then there's really no point in holding onto it as it depreciates in value every passing moment.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
210 REPLIES 210

JED44
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

JED44 said:

@Zenbane well besides occasional games of Dragonfront or Keep talking and nobody explodes,(as well as demos for friends) my Rift has been in its box waiting for touch. 

In this thread we can see another individual who owned both a Rift and Vive, and they sold their Vive for well thought out reasons. You can try to contrast that all you like, I'm not really paying attention lol

So you are willing to listen to someone who preferred their rift for x, y and z reasons, but not someone who preferred the vive for x, y and z reasons? 

So what you are really saying is that you ignore anything that doesn't match your personal opinion?

JED44
Rising Star
@Warbloke 

Honestly I believe the reason PSVR won't overtake PCVR is because of how limited it's tracking system and motion controls are as compared to that offered by the Rift or Vive. 

Zenbane said:

If there is a Vive owner out there who can exist without pretending that their product makes them superior to all competition, then yeah, that would be a great contribution.

It's probably safe to say there are system supremacists on both sides of the fence... that phrase sounds nasty but somehow apt! It's certainly true that there are goders and godees.. baiters and biters... and if nothing else we should learn that one can't exist without the other. So endeth the lesson.

MorgenKell
Expert Protege
So maybe Oculus was right when they say Roomscale is a (fun) gimmick but absolutely not the alpha & omega of VR ? ^^ 
& maybe roomscale has been (a few ^^) oversaled by Valve to hide a product & drivers way less finished than Oculus ?

JED44
Rising Star

So maybe Oculus was right when they say Roomscale is a (fun) gimmick but absolutely not the alpha & omega of VR ? ^^ 
& maybe roomscale has been (a few ^^) oversaled by Valve to hide a product & drivers way less finished than Oculus ?

I would try out Touch and then make that judgement

Warbloke
Superstar

@JED44 Its nothing more than a mild concern... but regardless of its inferior tracking.... history has shown us with technology that an inferior technology can win / overtake / and ultimately kill a superior one. (Sigh... that old VHS Vs Betamax thing again)

Honestly, if the number of consumers for Console VR ends up taking 90% of the VR market share (enter random guess of a high number here), then where do you think developers will commit their focus and resources to.

I believe VR can transcend gaming, but am under no illusion gaming will be the foundation of VR if it is to be a success... consoles are all about games, and if they win... believe me... PC could lose.

"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 

JED44
Rising Star
@Warbloke

that is fair, though I do think we will be seeing a more robust and developed tracking/motion controller system for console VR before long. 

That and hopefully within the next 5-10 years we will have self contained VR systems on par if not better then those we have right now.  No external console or PC required. 

Warbloke
Superstar

JED44 said:

@Warbloke

that is fair, though I do think we will be seeing a more robust and developed tracking/motion controller system for console VR before long. 

That and hopefully within the next 5-10 years we will have self contained VR systems on par if not better then those we have right now.  No external console or PC required. 

No doubt, console tech will improve just as night will follow day... and at the same time, so will PCVR move forward .
PCVR will ALWAYS be superior to ConsoleVR.
If the mass markets experience becomes just 'good enough' and that happens to be on a console and that experience can be obtained much cheaper... then while Vive and Rift owners are too busy fighting among themselves over which hardward has a better feature... they will get blind sided by the real threat out there and will as I say at worst wipe them both out.... or at best leave us with endless console ports, as that's the only content getting developed aimed at the mass market.

Agree much further down the line, self contained VR systems will appear... just like a DVD wiping out VHS.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Completely agree. Room-scale is certainly a gimmick used to trick folks in to getting the Vive early, since it couldn't offer the same quality experience as the Rift. Hand controllers will be out soon for the Rift and will serve to enhance an already superior experience. The Rift has been able to compete with the Vive despite the fact that the Rift doesn't have room-scale nor hand-controllers at release. And the greatest thing that Vive owners were demanding... was assurance that the Revive software would let Vive owners play Rift games.

Those facts speak volumes; and come Christmas the Rift will leave the Vive behind even further.

DaftnDirect said:

It's probably safe to say there are system supremacists on both sides of the fence... that phrase sounds nasty but somehow apt! It's certainly true that there are goders and godees.. baiters and biters... and if nothing else we should learn that one can't exist without the other. So endeth the lesson.

Agreed that one can't exist without the other, even when it comes to troll vs flamers B)

Warbloke
Superstar

"baiters and biters... and if nothing else we should learn that one can't exist without the other"

Warbloke: " Hi Mr fisherman, caught anything yet ?"
Fisherman: " Nope, my hook is baited, but nothing is biting 😞 "
Warbloke: " You still exist though... right ? "
Fisherman: " Go away you idiot "