Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too much talent?

geekmaster
Protege
11 REPLIES 11

VizionVR
Rising Star
In a room full of leaders, no one follows.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

willste
Explorer
The success of a team depends on many factors besides simply the talent's of its individual members.

1. Leadership: If you don't have management or coaching that can maximize the talents of each member to work toward a common goal then some of the benefit of the additional talent will be lost.

2. Behavioral Traits: Social chemistry in a team must be controlled either through good leadership or complimentary
selection of team members.

3. Skill Sets: Its rare that you have individuals that are just the best at everything. And even if you did have such a group of people they usually have a preference for which roles they want to play in a team.

4. Moral: Humans are emotional so your team environment has to stay positive or performance and productivity will suffer.

Social science is extremely complicated so it is nearly impossible with a single study to make a blanket statement that too much talent is harmful or not always a good thing. Logically speaking more talent in a team is always a good thing. In practice though making a team comes down to a lot more than talent as the most "talented" people in a chosen skill set may have other traits which will cause them to fail as a team.

Jose
Heroic Explorer
"geekmaster" wrote:

Cooperating in a team is a form of talent that can be consciously developed over time.

But what does your post have to do with virtual reality? Can you add more context?

geekmaster
Protege
"Jose" wrote:
"geekmaster" wrote:

Cooperating in a team is a form of talent that can be consciously developed over time.

But what does your post have to do with virtual reality? Can you add more context?

This thread is in the Oculus General Discussion forum, which is not VR specific. The intention was to discuss how the SciAm article in question relates to Oculus (since the FB acquisition and subsequent hiring spree), and the sheer magnitude of awesome industry talent that Oculus has hired. Oculus concentrates their talent on VR, and therefore discussion of said talent management applicable to this thread is therefore relevant to VR, as well as to this particular "general discussion" forum. Was there a more relevant forum here for this topic? For more context, click the link in the OP quote header (or click HERE). And for even more exploration of this and related topics, check out "The Mythical Man-Month" HERE.

Jose
Heroic Explorer
Cool. Thanks for adding context and reframing your original post.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
"geekmaster" wrote:
"
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

floydfreak
Honored Guest
"bigmike20vt" wrote:

cool.... well i have bugger all talent ...

I don't know about that bigmike - I don't know you (obviously), yet I've noticed you come onto these forums and you're always quite helpful towards other folks & passing on knowledge you have gained .. That is a talent 😄

I don't know if this is really relevant to this thread - but, I've been in a couple of music bands and I've seen some of the best bands (& solo artists) drop like stones because they had 'too much talent' (and MASSIVE egos to go with it!)

It's great being a leader, an expert or whatever but never forget who's around you - because chances are they're probably clued up about something you may never have even given much thought about...

Anonymous
Not applicable
We are talking about industry professionals for the most part, and they have been doing what they do for a long time, working under someone else (Mostly). I doubt there are many problems with leadership.

RirtualVeality
Adventurer
...yeah, because individual talent and cooperative synergy are mutually exclusive... :?