cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Took the plunge. Tripped the rift. What to expect?

ShoeHash
Protege

Tripping the Rift was a dirty 3d science fiction show on
years ago, and I liked the sound of it. Anyway -

I purchased the rift + touch bundle and an added sensor. I did a lot of
research before, probably read thirty in depth reviews, scores of others, some
glowing, some terrifying, but more glowing than terrifying, so it was cool.

Starting with the first question. I have an Anker USB 3.0 10 port hub, I’ve
heard a lot about the usb card people are buying, but I’ve got nearly 12 things
plugged in here to my computer. I should hope I don’t have to buy an
independent card for the rift, but if anyone thinks I should, I’d get it now
before it arrives.

Secondly, my computer is a ancient beast. It’s a watercooled 3770K running at
4.0 with one of those extra flammable EVGA 1070 FTWs. I’ve updated the firmware
in my video card so it won’t catch on fire, don’t worry. Only worry if you
haven’t heard about all EVGA 1080s and 1070s catching on fire if left playing
games too long. I imagine it will handle the rift well unless anyone notices a
big problem with that setup.

Last, thanks for reading my post and please
reply with any information a newbie should know. My games of choice are IL-2,
Elite, and DCS World, if that helps.

I also really really really want it to run in Prepar3d, but I know it’s not
supported too well. Anyone currently doing that or in FSX?

PS: Is Eve Valkyrie still free with the headset?

8 REPLIES 8

Judging by your gaming tastes i'm assuming you have a good HOTAS - what more do you need?  Happy flying, Commander!
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

ShoeHash
Protege
Actually I'm a dirty player. I've got a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3d, but get this, they made a wireless one a while back. Using that and a micro gaming keypad I have the ability to sit on my bed and play with a big screen TV.

I should look into the X52 now though. I made the wingman work for me, but that was before I could afford a desk and chair. After reading some of the gaming forum I'm checking into the Thrustmaster 16000M. Though it's always been a dream to own the Warthog with the pedals, I'll have to wait because that costs as much as the Rift itself.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Look up flyinside for fsx, p3d and xplane. Pop over to our forums. If you got any questions then ask Tony  (forum admin, me ) and I'll help you 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable
You will probably be better off getting the Inateck 4 port PCI-E adapter if you have loads of stuff plugged into your USB ports just in case if you're not worried about spending the money.

There's an absolutely ridiculous amount of free stuff to check out in the Oculus Store, including a good few full games - Farlands, Lucky's Tale, Herobound Spirit Champion, Dead & Buried, Ripcoil and Robo Recall are all excellent.

If you like flight sims then you have to check out War Thunder and DCS on Steam.

I'd also highly recommend that you get SuperHOT, The Climb and The Unspoken too.

flexy123
Superstar
Prepare3D works well even with the latest FlyInside. People say native VR from Prepar3d is even faster, haven't tried that yet. XPlane11, the last time I checked (some months back) it was extremely slow, hope they improved it. You may also want to take a look at Aerofly FS 2, it's currently the fastest for VR although it doesn't support things like ORBX etc.  YET.
(I don't think your sys is THAT slow as you make it sound..I have an OCed 4770k here but only a GTX970. It's "decent" for most stuff.)

edmg
Trustee
I run FSX and Prepar3D on an i7-3770 and GTX970 with FlyInside. Performance depends on how many addons you have installed. I actually had to set the frame-rate limiter in Prepar3D to restrict it to 60fps as I ran into a problem where the simulator would be rendering frames faster than FlyInside could send them to the headset.

Here's a cheap-and-cheerful video from my system; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxKWbVh4xco

That's running with ActiveSky and improved Canadian scenery mods.

I haven't compared it to the official Prepar3D VR support as that doesn't support the Leap Motion.

BrokenSymmetry
Heroic Explorer
For flight sims you need neither touch nor that extra sensor. 

So you might want to look into touch enabled games to make your purchase worth it.

ShocksVR
Superstar
The thing about the InaTeck 4-port USB 3.0 to PCIe is that it includes an additional USB controller.  It seems from the Oculus Room-scale blog posts that they recommend no more than 2 sensors per controller.  Thus if your computer has only 1, or already has a lot of USB connected items, then the Inateck card adds 1 additional controller to use.  If you still need MORE controllers, then the blog below lists a couple PCIe cards that include 2-4 controllers, but run about ~$80.  However, most get by w/ the Inateck

Read the blog entries.  These are preliminary and Oculus has already stated at the GDC that they are working on smoothing out the steps for setting up room-scale; so expect more professional instructions in a few months.  There are 4 blog entries regarding Room-scale so read all 4.
https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-tips-for-setting-up-a-killer-vr-room/

Inateck Card that Oculus lists, but you can use any brand.  It is $24.
https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-E-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM

Lastly, check the blog posts about USB extension cables that you may want.  They're about $15.

-Bonus- if you're curious of what Nate Mitchell (head of Rift) had to say about the future of room-scale support at the GDC this past week. (I'd recommend watching the whole interview, about 20 minutes).  Sounds really awesome!! 🙂
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgq6QPtiK78&hd=1&t=20m

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S