cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Totem Kickstarter = Kicking a dead horse

Gizmotweak
Explorer
Looks like the Totem Kickstarter is going to fail.... :cry:

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/2091603040/totem-the-premium-full-featured-virtual-reality-he/#char...

I wonder why it is doing so miserably...maybe proof of concept is more important than fancy cg rendered casings and pie in the sky promises of ridiculous specs and performance with no proof of actual function.

After all, Luckey showed a working proof of concept put together with duct tape and spit and he pulled in 2.5 million.

I suspect if they had actually shown a working prototype that was comparable to somewhere between dk1 and dk2 they would have had no problem pulling in their modest goal of 350k in a week...so much for secret sauce...

Still with 5 guys 9 years and a secret lab and canadian government grants, they should have been much further along.

No excuse for this imho.

But then based on some of the comments on their kicknonstarter, their typical backers seems to be of those "OMG I HATEZ FACEBOOK OCULUS SOLD OUT CARMACK SUXZORS LUCKEY RAPED MY CHILDHOOD FOAM RAGE FOAM" kind of people.
This space available for advertising.
69 REPLIES 69

amygdala
Honored Guest
"derrickle" wrote:

You wrong bro. Com'on, Totem still not dead.

pheyze
Honored Guest
I dont think there on the dead side of the game yet there struggling but they are still in the game in fact im tipping over to there side I feel like ive offended oculus cuz i gave totem a 30$ donation last time this time it puts me in as a preorder of there consumer device 1st in there production line a very smart move by the feel of things when oculus cv1i hope i can get in a pre order for there first in line consumer delivery.the totem product is looking like a better product with there cameras on the front with the potential of augmented reality and with the benefit of from what ive herd processing by the head mount so it can be used with playstation and xbox and not really need a high end pc upgrade like im planning on making for oculus cv1 fact or fiction??? im not sure.
is it going to work out for the better like how xbox and playstation compete?
get things moving oculus cv1 productions looking a little slow when cv1 comes out im up grading my pc and buying a cv1 thats not going to be cheap.im still the oculus cv1 consumer supporter as it stands but im slowly tipping sides.
http://blog.vrvana.com/
http://www.vrvana.com/

Gizmotweak
Explorer
sockpuppet.

if you are going to shill for vrvana, just do it upfront. This fake concerned soon to be ex oculus fan persona has gotten old and been done too many times before by vrvana fans trying to drum up interest in their super duper totem for sure with secret sauce HMD.

It cracks me up how they keep peddling this "better than Rift" bullshit.

Not that there cant be something better than rift, but vrvana has nothing even close to half of the DK2 at the moment, its not even comparable to the dk1 other than resolution.

Oculus = proven.

Vrvana = blah blah blah and promises of secret sauce for sure.

If you are saying that vrvana's hmd is better without even having a working hmd to test and use, you are either A) full of crap or B) a sockpuppet shill for vrvana.

P.S. Its not artificial reality, its augmented reality, and they havent even demonstrated a prototype with working cameras...its all talk still for so many things they promised and claim will be there for sure!

pheyze
Honored Guest
im still standing on oculus side totem was looking like a scam they still come across as suspect criminals looking at there pics

Gizmotweak
Explorer
I don't think they are scammers so much as incompetent boobs trying to hop on the VR money train and get a big money buyout.

they claim they have been working on this in secret for 9 years...if thats the case and that half assed barely functioning none of the promised features able to be demonstrated head monted viewfinder of theirs is all they could come up with, then they are the most incompetent team ever...seriously 5 guys 9 years and thats all they could deliver? Palmer was practically still in diapers when they started, and didnt even have all his pubic hair when he turned out the DK1 before they even came out of hiding.

Up to now everything they have done is ass backwards (building the shell before even figuring out what their componenets will be) and amatuer missteps and pure bullshit marketing bumblings...claiming secret sauce instead of demonstrating a proof of concept, failing to show what they promised, making excuses - oh our prototype broke, showing night vision goggles and claiming they are prototypes, and their failed kickstarter was the end result. Its their own fault.

pheyze
Honored Guest
i think there doing so bad because oculus suporters believe the truth oculus 100% all the way rifts the way to go. (totem they look like fools that couldnt even count to 3)when i first found totem a few months ago i gave them a donation but i canceled it in with in half an hour because they just look like BS incompetent copy cat idiots their augmented reality is was the only thing that caught my attention.

pheyze
Honored Guest
Gizmotweak
i thought the same thing they have built it backwards reverse engineering it 100% its an oculus rip off copy they havent got a single clue what their doing its all just them stealing it from oculus getting on the banwagon at an attempt at a BS type of so called investment F*#ING TH$%&ES

Gizmotweak
Explorer
if they can't actually demonstrate features better than oculus rift, there is no news story.

So they built the shell first because its "pretty and shiney" and easily distracted the Journovultures desperate for OMG OCULUS RIFT COMPETITOR clickbait while they tried to reverse engineer dk1 and emulate for the oculus sdk.

but seriously...what legitimate hardware developer spends that much time and effort to build the pretty shell before resolving the issues with the functional bits that the shell will actually house...

The biggest clue that they didnt have anything ready other than the cg render of a shell was their refusal to demonstrate a working proof of concept (and continued refusal to demonstrate for months) when they announced themselves as the anti oculus for facebook haters. They didnt even have a fully functioning proof of concept that could come close to the dk2 when they went to kickstarter...i mean...come on...thats not smart.

And now after cancelling their kickstarter, they are taking preorders and claiming they are going to skip a development kit all together and just go straight to a consumer version...meaning noone gets to test develop or modify to support this thing and bring flaws to their attention before it is supposedly launched on the unsuspecting consumer...which makes no sense to me...but then thats just my opinion.

amygdala
Honored Guest
As promised, the worst of (best of?) Totem backer comments:

"We hates John Carmack, we hates it!"
"Peter Plankensteiner " wrote:
We here understand!
There are just many people who think that VR is some new religion, and Oculus the new prophet. And if Oculus hasn't got a certain feature then because said feature is impossible and those who dare to implement it, can only do so because they have a pact with the devil and are heretics who question the enlightenedness of His Holiness John "J.C." Carmack and his disciple Luckey.

"I've thought of VR earlier and much better!" (why can't Totem backers write John Carmacks full name? Is it cursed? Will he appear and make Totem disappear if you say it three times?)
"AOX" wrote:

Thanks for the info, I can gather from the specs what you are working on is ground breaking, and once again I agree with Peter; "J.C." didn't write the book on modern VR, the people are allowing him to, All they did was put the equivalent of a PC monitor in VR, but with no webcam. It produces "presence" to some degree until you reach out and can't see your hands. Ask yourself "how do you move around and interact with your actual environment with the monitor strapped to your face obscuring your view?" Answer:Totem, which from my understanding actually has AR implications as well, which really piques my interest.
Why? I just want to take this time to let the community know that what Facebook/Oculus is striving to achieve with Social VR isn't even their idea, it's my original inception, (here was a link, it's gone now) While everyone else was thinking, and most still are thinking "VR games". I was and still am thinking way ahead of Zuckerberg & Co. As the original inceptor of Social AR/VR as a "serious" platform, I say Totem is closer to my vision than Oculus could ever be at this point. Also being capable of connecting to any type of computing device is a huge plus, because now true innovators can prototype the next generation AR/VR computing and input devices. Or we can wait for "J.C." to show us the way we are already at with Totem.

"For just 100k more, you'll get a bigger FOV" (sounds like a great idea...)
"Alf Waibel" wrote:

Great update, fantastic stretch goals! - Especially the 105 degree FOV is a bummer - a nice little side kick to the Oculus billionaires 😉 Crossing fingers to reach both goals. Let´s rock this thing together and spread the word guys.

Post is getting too long. To be continued

snapfish
Honored Guest
sockpuppet, the promises of secret sauce turned out biggest failure, vrvana website is down and they can't show anything they promised on Nov with duper totem. Enjoys shitty time for blind fans to get your preorders on time! Haha, still cracks me up when they will delay till early 2016 and pray they not run away with your $$$!