cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tripped on my cable :(

EnderBeta
Level 4
I just got my Oculus Rift last Thursday. I have been enjoying Fallout 4 VR and Skyrim VR. I decided to try the Robo Recall game and was getting into it. Then I tripped on the cable and nearly bent off the USB on the PC side of the cable. I bent it back into place. The headset is getting power because I see an amber light. However the Oculus software doesn't see it or the touch controllers which I presume is because they talk to the headset.

I already had to replace the VR bundle once because of a bad trigger on the first right touch controller. But this isn't a defect it's just super horrible bad luck and I feel like crying because this thing was $400 plus tax and I can't afford to replace it. :'(

At first I was panicking because I thought the cable was hard wired to the device. Then I realized it is a connector. But now I'm back to panicking because I don't see the cable anywhere except for Amazon and they want $150!
17 REPLIES 17

Techy111
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Look on the oculus rift accessories page, is that the cable you need ? $49 mate ???
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

EnderBeta
Level 4

Techy111 said:

Look on the oculus rift accessories page, is that the cable you need ? $49 mate ???

I could kiss you! Thank you so much!!!

EnderBeta
Level 4
Now that we know it's just a connector I wonder if anyone could make a wireless adapter to plug in there.

TwoHedWlf
Level 11

EnderBeta said:

I just got my Oculus Rift last Thursday. I have been enjoying Fallout 4 VR and Skyrim VR. I decided to try the Robo Recall game and was getting into it. Then I tripped on the cable and nearly bent off the USB on the PC side of the cable. I bent it back into place. The headset is getting power because I see an amber light. However the Oculus software doesn't see it or the touch controllers which I presume is because they talk to the headset.

I already had to replace the VR bundle once because of a bad trigger on the first right touch controller. But this isn't a defect it's just super horrible bad luck and I feel like crying because this thing was $400 plus tax and I can't afford to replace it. :'(

At first I was panicking because I thought the cable was hard wired to the device. Then I realized it is a connector. But now I'm back to panicking because I don't see the cable anywhere except for Amazon and they want $150!

Protip:  Don't trip over cables.

You've tried reseating the headset side of the cable, I assume?

EnderBeta
Level 4

TwoHedWlf said:

EnderBeta said:

LOL I didn't do it on purpose. But thank you for the laugh.

Sadly yes I did reseat the headset side in. It didn't appear to have moved at all. I also checked to make sure the motherboard USB port was ok by plugging my Xbox controller adapter into it and my controller was detected. So it's just the USB connector that is broken.

It says they typically ship in two days. How fast the shipping is I don't know. I'm probably not going to get to play VR again until next weekend if I'm lucky. On the bright side if I can keep from breaking the cable again next pay day I'll grab my MSI GTX 1080 TI Gaming X, one more sensor for 360 tracking and try to find a way to avoid breaking this new cable. I don't want to be going through these cables like water.

I wish this cable had breakaway adapters like the 360 did or even go a step further and use magnets or something. I guess in the mean time I'll play some more Final Fantasy XII and thank my stars that the entire computer didn't fall over and get broken.

Techy111
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Good luck mate, let us know when you back in VR 🙂
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Richooal
Level 12
Apparently lots of VR users manage the cable with this sort of set up.................

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Skywin-VR-Cable-Management-System-for-OCULUS-RIFT-Virtual-Reality-Headse...

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

edmg
Level 10
I've pulled the cable out a few times, but I have 3' sacrificial extension cables between the Rift and the PC, so if anything breaks it's likely to be those cables and not the actual Rift or computer.

RedRizla
Level 15

TwoHedWlf said:

EnderBeta said:

People sometimes make mistakes.. That's why we put rubbers on pencils and bumpers on cars..