cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with SteamVR games

HeVeNy
Level 4
Hullo there, I have a problem playing games in SteamVR with my Oculus HMD. First I encountered my problem with Onward, I get to game and played the shooting range, no problems. Then when I start the game proper it loads and then I can hear the sounds, the game is visible on the monitor and tracking works but no picture in the HMD. After trying a couple of times it finally let me to start a game, but then there was a weird flickering on the screen and game for performing with quite a low FPS.

I thought that it might be Onward that is buggy, but the same problems come with The Lab also. I put the glass ball in my head and when it start to load I'm again stuck with no picture in the HMD. Again I got it workin one time, but the flickering stuff returned...

I remember reading about ATW / ASW causing some problems with SteamVR but couldn't find the topic here in the forums so sorry for a new thread if so. Is anyone else having this problem and is there a way to switch off the ATW / ASW in SteamVR to check if that is the reason?

I would be glad to buy almost all my games from Home as it works like a charm and I like to support Oculus. But as it is there is some games I can only get from Steam so have to buy from there.

Thank you in advance! :smile:
13 REPLIES 13

muskey
Level 3
I have the same problem with the blank screen in onward, after a few mins it just goes to the blank holodeck screen in the rift,still have sound and picture on my monitor thow..any1 any ideas ?
plzz

haydxn
Level 4
I had a weird flickering thing from time to time with steamVR games; it seemed to be interleaving frames from the wrong perspective, so it looked like overlapping images.
I don't really know what the problem is for sure, but it has only been happening to me relatively recently, perhaps even only since ASW rolled out. I wondered if perhaps there was some kind of conflict between ASW and steamVr's Async reprojection, so I disabled that in steamVR's settings. I've not had much time to play since then, so it could entirely be a coincidence, but in that time I've not seen it again, so perhaps it might be worth trying the same. 

HeVeNy
Level 4

haydxn said:

I wondered if perhaps there was some kind of conflict between ASW and steamVr's Async reprojection, so I disabled that in steamVR's settings.

Well this seems a valid option to try for sure! I will test it tonight and report back if that sorts the problem.

BlTEY
Level 5
You are spot on, I had the same problem, turned off reprojection and it's gone now.

Anyones graphics card coil whine when you turn steamVR on? 

This is getting a lil bit annoying, with all the updates breaking stuff and not allowing for a rollback, I feel like a damn rat in Oculus lab.

haydxn
Level 4
Yep, as soon as steamVR is enabled, my GPU starts to scream quietly. My monitor image also gets a little jittery, which I presume is just interference in my (VGA, analogue) cable caused by whatever is making that noise. I don't look at it when I'm in VR though so I can live with that 🙂

HeVeNy
Level 4
Nope, didn't help for me. Same flickering thing going on in Onward and also The Lab... It was a good idea though and hope it works for others. 😕

haydxn
Level 4
There were actually two reprojection-related settings I disabled, though I can't remember what the other one was called (my PC is all packed up to demo VR to my family so I can't check!). If you didn't disable both, it may be worth giving that a try.

either way, sorry I couldn't help more 😞 maybe it's not fixed for me either! 🙂 im sure I'll find out when my parents complain about it being weird!

HeVeNy
Level 4
Yeah I disabled both and also tried by disablin only the other and no change.

haydxn
Level 4
😞 sorry then!

as a developer I should know better than to change multiple things when trying to get to the bottom of an issue, but that didn't stop me in this case. For what it's worth, I also decided to make sure that my drivers were up to date, all other users were logged out of the machine, and that nothing else was running (e.g. Browsers etc). 

I'm sure you've done all of the above too! I'd certainly like for it to be addressed, as I have not seen any mention of it anywhere until this thread