cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to work out if this is the most annoying/nonsensical statement from a Game Exec??

kzintzi
Trustee
just read an article where a Nintendo exec came out and said "the problem with VR is that there aren't many 'Truly fun' experiences" and used that to justify why Nintendo weren't getting into VR..

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-exec-discusses-the-problem-with-vr-right-/1100-6453208/

Sorry, isn't it their JOB to make/provide/produce/promote those experiences???

ok, rant over, i dont actually like Nintendo games (Mario Cart/Donkey kong got boring the 4th time it got rebooted... or was it the 8th) so them not doing VR is no particular blow for me other than the lack of a major player in the market and the interest that promotes.

[also, just had a 'moment of clarity' and have realised that I am now "that guy" on the internet - not entirely sure how i feel about that.. ]
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
6 REPLIES 6

CrashFu
Consultant
VR games have made me grin and laugh with child-like joy in ways that almost no traditional video game has in years.

Reggie needs to get his head out of his ass.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Perhaps Reggie has just tried the shite games on Steam..? lol 😄 😄 😄

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
We have to be mindful that Reggie has had a bug-up-his-a** over becoming the viral poster boy for the Virtual Boy:

And it was not helped that his "unique" management style means he can not admit that any Nintendo business decision is wrong or a product was a flop, and so defends the indefensible, making himself look even more stupid.

In reality NOJ has a number of VR project based on their game licenses in development - but admitting to the work they have done with BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment on amusement products is difficult (contradicting Reggie) and the NOA marketing team usually ignore commenting on them.

When the news of 'Mario Kart Arcade VR' broke the up-swell in interest proved a total surprise, especially as NOA had no idea of what NOJ does with their amusement interests, and left them in yet another embarrassing position. First denying was even a thing - and then when the video went viral, ignoring request for information.

Sadly when Reggie is made to look stupid we all suffer, and the rumor is that NOA has put it's foot down about allowing BNE to even consider bringing the game to the West, as they start to roll-out the VR ZONE entertainment concept in European and North American amusement venues.

Time will tell, but that still leaves us with Reggie pontificating about his feelings on VR - while dancing round the uncomfortable subject that Nintendo is already deeply involved in VR games that are being played now. Poor Reggie.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

CrashFu
Consultant
I really don't see why any branch of Nintendo would still be so embarrassed over the Virtual Boy that they'd avoid getting into VR now.   It's not like it failed just by virtue of being VR,  it failed because it was an awkwardly designed product that hurt peoples' eyes and had like 4 - 6 games total made for it.  (and most if not all of them were very simplistic, from what I've seen)

I mean it's not like you can just launch a VR system with nothing but a few tech demos available and expect it to thrive on nothing but hype and popular branding alone!  ... err, wait... okay you  can do that in 2016, but in the mid-90s?  Forget about it, back then people bought game systems based on quantity and quality of available content!
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
You have a point if logic played a part in the House of Cards, political drama that is top management of NOJ/NOA.

The reality is the VB failed because it was not VR, and was not fun. It was a desperate hype grab, based on a poor idea from a respected designer on the wayne.

It is the association with this product, and the failed business and marketing plan that is more damaging that the failed and badly positioned viewing system.

NOA wants to avoid questions on past business failures and tarred VR as a route to a uncomfortable admission and so blank it. And how Reggie blanks uncomfortable questions - he attacks their premise.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kzintzi said:

just read an article where a Nintendo exec came out and said "the problem with VR is that there aren't many 'Truly fun' experiences" and used that to justify why Nintendo weren't getting into VR..

If all he did was try SteamVR games with the Vive... then yeah, makes sense.