cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNSOLVED: Yay! No more HDMI disconnects in 30' room-scale setup

TickTock
Heroic Explorer
I have tried 5 different hdmi repeaters to add a 15' extension to the hdmi connection.  Up until now, the best of them was still flakey and I was living with having to unplug/replug the HMD in several times on each boot to finally get it to connect.  Last week, I bought this (and this) and for a week now I have not had to re-seat the hdmi connector once.  Just turn on the PC an rock.  Thought I'd share in case anyone else has similar issues.

[Update 6/26/17:]  Worked great for about 2 weeks and then the same prior issues started coming back.  Now, to make my system work, I have to first connect without the repeater in the HDMI path and, once Oculus is connected to the HMD, I can then insert the repeater.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
 -Groucho Marx
4 REPLIES 4

Zafferg
Explorer
Good to know! How do you deal with the cables trailing around you? Do you have some sort of ceiling retractable tethers or something?

I have a much more humble 3 sensor setup and a 3 meter extension on the hdmi and Usb works great but in robo recall 360 i regularly get the cable wrapped up round my legs!

TickTock
Heroic Explorer

Zafferg said:

Good to know! How do you deal with the cables trailing around you? Do you have some sort of ceiling retractable tethers or something?

I hung a track from the ceiling on which I have a hook attached to a flanged bearing which runs inside the track.  This lets me slide the cables back a forth between the sitting and standing area without dragging on the floor.  You can see it there in the upper right of the pic.  The left-most cable hook slides on the white track and the hook just to the right is fixed near the PC (actually behind the track - just looks like it is attached in the pic).
nlq8ngrabpd3.jpg
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
 -Groucho Marx

MariusPolonius
Heroic Explorer
Tempest baby!

TickTock
Heroic Explorer
Yeah.  One of my fav's.    Picked that up from a garage sale for $50 (broken, but I got it running again with some TLC).  Anyway, here's close up of the trolley on the track.  Two flanged bearings, some AC hanging strap, and a bolt.  Not sure where the extruded aluminum track came from - I just found it in my scrap pile.wkhpbo2o6kgk.jpg
 -Groucho Marx