Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Expansion Cards - Inateck Vs Startech

VirtualRealityO
Adventurer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKLkj3nfd9U

If you don't want to watch the video, that's cool. Here's a summary;

Over the past few weeks I've been testing the Inateck PCI-E USB expansion card as it was the most commonly talked about card in the community and the original card recommended by Oculus.

I was testing the card with a four sensor setup. I found the card very problematic, I experience blue screen of deaths reporting WDF_Violation despite trying numerous configurations, different slots and drivers.

I even tested using two Inateck cards. At times this worked but as soon as I reset my machine it would be unreliable again.

I eventually stumbled across an official Oculus blog talking about the hardware required for four sensor setups.

In the blog they recommended the use of USB expansion cards that have multiple controllers on board (The Inateck card has seven USB ports but only uses one on board controller).

Oculus recommended two cards, the RocketU 1144d and the Startech dual & quad controller card. The Startech was priced at £86 which was cheaper than the £109 RocketU.

I ended up ditching my two Inateck cards and testing the quad controller Startech card. The Startech card is much larger and only has four USB slots but has a dedicated controller for each slot.

I've been using the Startech card in my system for over a week now and have experienced no disconnecting issues or system crashes at all. I have four sensors plugged into the Startech and the Rift plugged straight into my motherboard.

If you're looking for a USB PCI-E expansion card that plays nice with the Rift I would recommend the Startech card. Here's a link where you can pick one up (affiliate link) - http://amzn.to/2tDy3Ej

TL:DR - The Inateck card caused me problems. Would recommend Startech card.

www.youtube.com/virtualrealityoasis
19 REPLIES 19

VirtualRealityO
Adventurer
I've had reports from the (awesome) community that the Inateck 4 port USB card works fine and that I should have tested that card and not the 7 port cards. I have not personally tested it myself but if you want to pick one up the link is here - http://amzn.to/2uiveJk

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been running the Innatek 7 port card since getting my Rift in Jan, no issue at all so far with it. Have two sensors and the headset plugged into it.

VirtualRealityO
Adventurer

dburne said:

I have been running the Innatek 7 port card since getting my Rift in Jan, no issue at all so far with it. Have two sensors and the headset plugged into it.

I think the issues come when trying to run 4 sensors on that card.

elboffor
Consultant
Its totes all about the 4 port inatech card.
I run 2 for aĺl 4 sensors and my hmd.

This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

cleanupdisc
Adventurer
I bought an expansion cable from startech that plugs into the motherboard. Is this one ok and just as good as a pcie? Please take a look and let me know what you think about the cord...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0066KP06M/ref=oh_aui_i_sh_in_o2_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I bought an expansion cable from startech that plugs into the motherboard. Is this one ok and just as good as a pcie? Please take a look and let me know what you think about the cord...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0066KP06M/ref=oh_aui_i_sh_in_o2_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That will run on one of the existing USB controllers in your system, so if you're getting poor USB performance on your current USB ports, this won't increase your capacity. It's useful if your case doesn't have front USB 3 ports, because it plugs into the spot on your motherboard where the front ports would plug in.

The PCIe cards add one or more USB controllers so you actually get more USB capacity added to your system.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

cleanupdisc
Adventurer

nalex66 said:

That will run on one of the existing USB controllers in your system, so if you're getting poor USB performance on your current USB ports, this won't increase your capacity. It's useful if your case doesn't have front USB 3 ports, because it plugs into the spot on your motherboard where the front ports would plug in.

The PCIe cards add one or more USB controllers so you actually get more USB capacity added to your system.

Thanks. Ya i only have 2 front facing usb 2.0, so since that is part of the front usbs i should be good. My pc is a z97 pc mate that has two usb 3.0 in the back. That should be enough for my rift which just arrived today but i went ahead and bought that cable as well. If i have any issues that i think revolve around bandwidth, if i get a third sensor i guess ill just buy a pcie card if need be. I should be good though! 

O and one more point. I plug the rift usb into 3.0 and the sensor into 3.0, but what other device is recommended for usb 3.0? Since oculus recommends 3? Is it the second sensor that comes with my touch controller? Should i try that touch controller in a usb 2.0 slot before i install the expansion cable? Thank you... whats your guys setup?

My pc is a rx 480, i7 4790k, 16gb of ram, and a 7200rpm ssd hybrid. 🙂 I want to upgrade to amd vega in September!!!

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Yeah, the third USB3 they mention is for the second sensor. The sensors can run on USB2, but they go into a low-bandwidth mode that isn't as accurate.

Your front USB3 ports will probably run though a controller that is also controlling other USB ports on the system (could be the two on the back). Anyway, see how it goes, and you can consider an add-on card if you need it.

I'm currently running 2 sensors and the Rift on USB3 ports without issue, but I have a 3rd sensor on order. I'll see how that runs on USB3 (they recommend USB2 for the third sensor because most systems will be running out of bandwidth). I may go ahead and add a PCIe card if my system can't handle everything on USB3.

Edit: What happened to the post I was responding to!?

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

cleanupdisc
Adventurer

nalex66 said:

Yeah, the third USB3 they mention is for the second sensor. The sensors can run on USB2, but they go into a low-bandwidth mode that isn't as accurate.

Your front USB3 ports will probably run though a controller that is also controlling other USB ports on the system (could be the two on the back). Anyway, see how it goes, and you can consider an add-on card if you need it.

I'm currently running 2 sensors and the Rift on USB3 ports without issue, but I have a 3rd sensor on order. I'll see how that runs on USB3 (they recommend USB2 for the third sensor because most systems will be running out of bandwidth). I may go ahead and add a PCIe card if my system can't handle everything on USB3.

Edit: What happened to the post I was responding to!?

Im not sure lol. But thanks for responding to my disappeared post haha!!!