cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uncanny moments in VR

uKER
Adventurer
I'd like to hear what have been those rare moments in VR when you felt "WHOA, THIS IS SOMETHING ELSE!".

Please don't turn it into a "ooh, I tried this game and I kinda liked it".
This is for those unique moments when you experience something you never thought possible, that gave you goosebumps and maybe you can't even explain why.

Mines are:
- Back to Dinosaur Island, when the t-rex stops its car-sized head right above you.
- Ultimate Booster Experience
- Lost, when the robot first comes out from the trees.
- The first time seeing your own hands in VR.
- First Contact, when I first got to poke around the soda cans and the thing that's hanging on your right.
- Robo Recall, when during the intro, all of the robots on the street turn around to face you.
- theBlu, handling the flashlight during the Luminous Abyss demo.

Let's hear yours.
23 REPLIES 23

falken76
Expert Consultant
When I played a Flight Sim.  It's just..... wow!

Choronzon
Adventurer
I had a tantric moment watching an enormous woman whose legs were longer than an orgasm in lingerie. In VR, size matters.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was quite astounded when I realized that Dear Angelica had been done in Quill.  That really resonated as a paradigm shift even though I am no artist.  Lost made me wish they'd re-release The Iron Giant in full VR. 

stargate88
Protege
Mine are:
- Apollo 11 VR, when I looked outside the window and saw a big moon
- Pinball FX 2 VR, when I saw the pinball machine appearing in front of me
- Google Earth VR, Grand canyon and when you're on top of the earth
- eleven VR, when I played my first ball (table tennis)
- Oculus dream deck, the city on cloud and on top of the city
- Big screen when I saw my computer screen as big as a cinema screen
- Mission ISS when the ISS paths below you and when you can use you hands to move

Bilbosmeggins
Heroic Explorer
Assetto Corsa, parked on the grid.   I tried to stick my head out of the window to get a look down the side of my car.  I banged my head on the the wall in my living room, and thought, "Oh, the window is wound up", then, stupidly, did exactly the same thing again, before I realised that the wall I was banging my head on was far from virtual  😮

Hedgy
Protege
Every time I drop out of hyperspace in Elite Dangerous next to a space station. Elite made the Oculus worth it on its own.

Anonymous
Not applicable
The two that most stand out to me, were what I experience after first hooking up the new Rift.

The Dreamdeck demo - notably standing on the edge of the building, followed by that dinosaur walking over the top of my head.

Then I loaded up DCS flight sim, and upon entering the cockpit of the Spitifre looking around and the sensation of actually being in the plane, and in that world, was uncanny.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Yup for me was Flyinside and FSX. I finally got it working back in my DK2 days and "sat" in a B737 cockpit. I had chills 🙂
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable
For me it has to be games where I can't stop saying, 'Oh my god, this is SO FUCKING COOL!'.

So that's most of Dreamdeck, Farlands, Adrift, Project CARS, First Contact, The Climb, SuperHOT, Robo Recall and especially Elite Dangerous.

Basically any game powered by the Unreal Engine has this effect on me and going by The Climb I suspect that any game powered by the CryEngine will have the same effect on me too.

You just can't beat realistic looking graphics in VR imo. They just take the VR experience to a whole new level of awesomeness. That's part of the reason why I'm using the Unreal Engine for my game.