cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unofficial workaround for “access control list not in canonical form” error during Oculus Setup

cybereality
Grand Champion

There’s a known issue where the Oculus installer (OculusSetup.exe) may not successfully complete due to a Windows registry issue, and instead asks you to reboot your computer. You can identify whether this is the issue you’re having by opening %LOCALAPPDATA%\Oculus\OculusSetup.log and looking for the error message “This access control list is not in canonical form and therefore cannot be modified.”

We have a potential fix for this issue in the upcoming release, but in the meantime, the following unofficial workaround may work for you. Warning: this workaround requires that you edit your Windows registry!

1) Run regedit.exe

2) In the left tree view, right-click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, select "Permissions..."

3) If a dialog comes up stating that the permissions are incorrectly ordered, click "Reorder"

4) Click "OK" in the permissions dialog to close it

5) Repeat step 2-4 on any of the following tree nodes that exist:

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/Oculus VR, LLC

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/Oculus VR, LLC/Oculus

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/Oculus VR, LLC/Oculus/Config

After you make these changes, re-run OculusSetup.exe, and it should complete.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
34 REPLIES 34

DarthAsad
Honored Guest
I am having this install issue. Your remedy isn't working for me, I have tried it twice. Am I just opening the permissions and clicking OK with out modifying anything? I am also not seeing anything other than HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, is that normal? Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

54qp9dcdy6ky.jpg

cybereality
Grand Champion
You have to click the small arrow ">" on the left of the node name do pull out the tree. That's probably your issue. You may get a popup about reordering the permissions, which you should OK. If you don't see the popup, just click OK. Let me know if that helps.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

DarthAsad
Honored Guest
Thanks for the quick response, I got down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node and do not see Oculus VR, LLC, only Microsoft.

P.S.: I did not get a reorder pop up fyi.

okedd6yai5i2.jpg Including screen shot for reference. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
You are looking in the wrong place. you have HKEY_CURRENT_USER open and you need to be in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Popopinsel
Expert Protege
Thanks cyber, worked like a charm!

DarthAsad
Honored Guest

PKRipper said:

You are looking in the wrong place. you have HKEY_CURRENT_USER open and you need to be in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Thanks, worked after I went to the correct folder. 

jjkramhoeft
Protege
thanks the fix worked for me

ColinB
Adventurer
Been away from the Forum for some time now.
Have a CV1 on order. Just wondering about these latest posts.
Are they about the CV1?
I thought that all this scripting and editing and regediting would have been finalised?
Is the CV1 "consumer ready" yet or is it still for developers at the moment?
I am not really a developer. Should I wait for the CV2 or risk it with the CV1?

StokedOn
Honored Guest
"visual-cpp-2015.exe exited with code 1638" on Developer Machine With Visual Studio 2015 Update 2 RC installed.