cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to CV1

Bagnet
Expert Protege
Finally getting hold of a CV1. Do i need to uninstall the oculus software from using the DK2 or will it detect the new hardware and just work?
15 REPLIES 15

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
The software will recognize the new hardware.  You will need to do the config again though.
Enjoy the upgrade.  Hopefully the benefits outweigh god-rays.  They absolutely do for most of us, but maybe 1-3% of people say the god rays ruin it.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer
enjoy !!

Bagnet
Expert Protege
i have to admit the god rays worry me. seems some say they are unbearable and some say they are not even present. I am starting to wonder if there is a batch out there that have a manufacturing issue with the lenses?

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
No, it's inherent in Fresnel lenses.  It has to do with the way the lenses refract light, and the fact that there is a full screen of light hitting the lenses from various angles.  The god rays happen when you have one especially bright area of the screen next to otherwise dark areas.  The ridges act to collect light from that bright source, even though it wasn't meant for that part of your eye.  As a result you see a bright spot where there isn't supposed to be any illumination.  

The Vive has fewer ridges that are farther apart, so you end up with distinct ring shaped blooms.  The Rift has smaller but more frequent ridges, meaning you get a blended or blurred area of blooming.  

Sadly there isn't an easy solution to this problem - at least when using Fresnel lenses.  The plus side is all the advantages they offer over other solutions.  
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

Bagnet
Expert Protege
i see. i had read from reddit a few people that had returned their cv1's and the replacement had much reduced God Rays. Maybe placebo then

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
Not to say that there can't be examples where it's worse due to a defect.  That's entirely possible.  All I was suggesting is that Fresnel lenses will always have this kind of flaw with bright non-incident light - ie cell phone screens.  

Bagnet
Expert Protege
Ordered and paid for.. arrives before 5pm tomorrow.. :D.. can't bloody wait. been on the DK2 for 2 years now.. been a long time coming! still got to wait until July for touch but been patient this long! at least the games should be cheaper by then haha

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer
it will be interestting to see your view of the CV1 in comparison to DK2..i wonder if u think the there comparable

Bagnet
Expert Protege
I will report in when i have had a play later 🙂