cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uru & Myst V in the Oculus Rift

chainlinkspiral
Level 2
So, The Vorpx drivers should be compatible. I'm going to configure settings with a razor hydra, as well as 360 controller and mouse and keyboard. My machine should handle it quite nicely, and I'll probably broadcast it on twitch for interested parties. Multiplayer with Uru would be grand.
8 REPLIES 8

Mystfit
Level 4
They released the source code for the Myst Online engine a while back. I've made it my challenge to port across Rift support, so we should be able to fix any FOV issues that the game has by using the SDK values directly. Basic support is almost complete except for some flipped rotations in the HMD.

jojon
Level 2
Excellent news! Thanks for this initiative.

Are you also considering adapting certain game asset, such as the KI?
Have you found simply expanding FOV and unlocking camera rotation enough to keep full-screen GUIs (books, machinery) useable (...although maybe a bit odd-looking)?

Are you in contact with Hoikas and Zrax and the others, over at the guild of writers?

erick
Level 2
Great project, Mystfit. I look forward to seeing your work.

It's too bad Uru Live never really caught on. I partially blame the terrible interface and controls. It should really benefit from Rift support.

Mystfit
Level 4
"jojon" wrote:
Excellent news! Thanks for this initiative.

Are you also considering adapting certain game asset, such as the KI?
Have you found simply expanding FOV and unlocking camera rotation enough to keep full-screen GUIs (books, machinery) useable (...although maybe a bit odd-looking)?

Are you in contact with Hoikas and Zrax and the others, over at the guild of writers?

At the moment anything that isn't displayed directly in the world (journals, KI, telescopes etc) are displaying over the top of the stereo view. This should be fixable once I get them rendering underneath the same post-processing chain as the rest of the world. I'd love to have the KI float in front of the viewer like an actual holographic watch. Maybe different elements like text could 'pop' off the screen with depth? Who knows 😛

Also, I've been in contact with the guys over at the GoW, and they've been of a great help, especially since I'm basing my code off their branch of the Cyan Worlds Engine (Plasma).

I've made a thread over in the WIP forum regarding my developmental progress, and I've also gotten the big three elements of stereoscopic rendering, head-tracking and post-processing working which is enough to walk around and gawk at things.

I posted this video in my other thread but here's a quick walkaround in my Relto.

OculusOptician
Level 3
This looks really good. I'm a huge fan of the Myst games, when do you think you will have something solid?

Can't wait to experience this myself.

sobchak
Level 2
I can't wait for this! Installing my copy tonight in anticipation.

zoidberg590
Level 3
Any update here? what about Myst 5 as opposed to uru?

OculusOptician
Level 3
It's been exactly one year now and there have been a huge number of exciting developments related to this thread.

Cyan became aware of what we were trying to do and even ordered a DK1 after hearing about all it's hype. Coming away really impressed with the experience (Rand Miller included), they shortly decided to start working on an Oculus integrated version of RealMyst in Unity, this VR enabled version of Realmyst is still in development.

Cyan even went a step further after numerous requests by the Myst community (myself included) to pitch a new Myst title on kickstarter with VR support, which they did. Obduction was successfully launched and funded on Kickstarter November 16, 2013. Cyan decided against an actual Myst sequel mainly to start fresh, however Obduction is intended to be the spiritual successor to Myst in almost every way within an all new encompassing universe. It's being developed 100% with VR in mind and will be fully compatible with the Oculus Rift upon release.

I'll be at the Cyan headquarters in a couple of days to see how the game and VR integration is coming along but obviously won't be able to disclose anything game content related.