cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIVE access to Home, guess Palmer blames Valve..

maxpare79
Trustee
Reddit answer from last night:

can we please get the straight dope on HTC Vive support in the Oculus Store?

Palmer Luckey:
We want to natively support all hardware through the Oculus SDK, including optimizations like asynchronous timewarp. That is the only way we can ensure an always-functional, high performance, high quality experience across our entire software stack, including Home, our own content, and all third party content. We can't do that for any headset without cooperation from the manufacturer. We already support the first two high-quality VR headsets to hit the market (Gear VR and Rift), that list will continue to expand as time goes on.

Exactly what is happening, who is at fault, what is Oculus doing to bring HTC Vive support to the Oculus Store and who is stopping this from happening?

Palmer Luckey:
I am not going to point fingers in the middle of our own launch. Hopefully things work out in the long run, I am trying my best. It is pretty obvious what would benefit Oculus and our unparalleled VR content investment - heck, the Oculus Store did not even launch with our own hardware, people have been using it with Gear VR for a long time now!

Myself and most people here would surely love to buy ALL their games on the Oculus Store only, but the current situation makes that unlikely.

Palmer Luckey:
You are right on both counts, unfortunately. Lots of losers, only one clear winner.

Not too hard to see who the clear winner is... Valve
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner
57 REPLIES 57

Christiaan
Protege
This is all an issue of the maturity of the SDK (s).

Right now, the software is in it's infancy and because Oculus feels obligated to ensure a certain experience, they will only use their APIs etc.

This is the ONLY way Oculus can know what their customers are getting right now.

Pe patient. The space will mature pretty rapidly, and the big money is in content distribution - there's a desire by everyone to sell tons of content, but not as the cost of compromising the quality of the experience.

Anonymous
Not applicable
both sides are saying why don't you come over here. 

And it makes 0 sense for ether company to invest in each others system. their too busy trying to get off the ground. 

Later on when things are figured out and established; then we'll probable see some sort cross compatibility. 

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
I play a crap ton of PC games and have never touched Steam.  Why do I need a store?  Let alone why should I care about store exclusivity?

This is an argument more relevant to consoles than PCs.

rogueqd
Protege

This is an argument more relevant to consoles than PCs.

Microsoft are in the background behind Oculus. For ages MS has been trying to get people to use their various attempts at stores, and they also have a console mentality to hardware. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's MS who are trying to drive this. I can't remember where but I saw a game advertised as available on "Oculus, xbox & PC", like Rift was a console separate from the (non-VR) PC version.

In the end it's the version that supports mods and open source that usually wins.

Syrellaris
Rising Star
null
3D tv's and content aren't dead though and still fully supported. The only reason why it did not pick up as good as it could have is but one, glasses.

Anonymous
Not applicable

null

3D tv's and content aren't dead though and still fully supported. The only reason why it did not pick up as good as it could have is but one, glasses.

They might not be completely dead, but their graves have already been dug. 

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/02/12/samsung-expected-to-give-up-on-3d-tvs-for-2016/

Syrellaris
Rising Star
I doubt they will stop making 3D tv's to be honest. There is still quite a few 3D movies scheduled for the next few years. I think they will stop active marketing on them though.

I rather see them stopping the creation and marketing of that useless gimmick called curved s though. Curved literally adds nothing to the viewing expexperience other than a price increase.

SerVitor
Expert Protege
PC gaming has survived locked content only available on respective store fronts:

Uplay
Steam
Origin
GOG
(other?)

All different storefronts and user frontends requiring separate user accounts.  But all software which will work on any pc.  Hopefully this is how it will be with the VR headsets.  
i5-4690k 16 gig Ram Win 7 64bit 8 gig ZOTAC AMP EDITION GTX1080

fullmelt
Expert Protege

SerVitor said:

PC gaming has survived locked content only available on respective store fronts:

Uplay
Steam
Origin
GOG
(other?)

All different storefronts and user frontends requiring separate user accounts.  But all software which will work on any pc.  Hopefully this is how it will be with the VR headsets.  

(other?) = (Oculus Home) on the 28th
ASUS MAXIMUS VII FORMULA / I7 4790K 4.7 GHz OC / NZXT Kraken X61 280mm / 16 gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 Mhz / Evga GTX 980 SC OC, GPU Clock +124 MHz, MEM Clock +175 MHz / ADATA 256 gb SSD, CORSAIR 120 gb SSD, 2 TB HHD / win 10.

Nedo
Explorer

null

They might not be completely dead, but their graves have already been dug. 

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/02/12/samsung-expected-to-give-up-on-3d-tvs-for-2016/

then better get one before the prices explode! 3D TV will be again very expensive if the production decrease.
I have one 55" for some years now, could be 60"+ tho!
Order DK1 Mar 30, 2013 / Order DK2: Mar 19, 2014 / Order CV1: Jan 6, 2016 / Order HTC Vive Feb 29, 2016