cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR Awards 2021 Finalists Announced

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

kevinw729_0-1626897528257.png

https://vrawards.aixr.org/finalists-2021/?utm_source=mailblast&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=vraward...

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
18 REPLIES 18

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

That is a decent list of Finalists. Accenture will likely remain in the lead for all Corporate VR innovations for some time. I did a small case study on their VR work, and met with them directly to discuss their vision for Corporate VR. Accenture really has their eye on the future.

It's good to see "Social Impact" as a category for recognition. VR has amazing potential when it comes to social interactions. Facebook gets a lot of heat for pushing Social VR, but from the list provided, it seems that Social VR is becoming a growing sector worthy of recognition.

The VR hardware category looks interesting. Not sure which way that will go. At first glance, it looks like Quest 2 will take it; but who knows. It all comes down to the judge criteria.

In the software gaming category, it is great to see Doom and Star Wars in the running. Personally, I am rooting for Squadrons. But something tells me that Doom will take it. Either one of those titles are well deserving of the win.

Overall, my biggest take-away from the list is the lack of presence by Valve. I am quite disappointed with Valve distancing themselves from new VR innovations in 2020 and 2021. They came on so strong in 2019 with the Index and Alyx. I am really surprised, and consider it a huge missed opportunity, that Valve let the last 2 years go by without another major release.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Valve is making money hand over fist with Steam.

They did not rush the Index to market, and they aren't going to rush the next headset to market. Nor the next game.

Undoubtedly they will be quite good when they do.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Awesome, thanks for posting this!

Nice to see Maskmaker, Gnomes & Goblins and Squadrons being candidates for game of the year.

Love to see Maskmaker getting more attention, the devs truly deserves it. But even if Squadrons has the bigger budget, I think Gnomes & Goblins should win. The devs put so much dedication and heart into that game, and it really pushes VR forward. You need a RTX 3090 to enjoy Gnomes & Goblins to the max - and an oled hmd due to the game being made with temporal antialiasing which looks very blurry using lcd hmds, but perfectly sharp using oled like Rift CV1. Gnomes & Goblins looks night and day better with CV1 ss 2.0 than with the Index. Thus be aware of that when evaluating that specific game 😉 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm deleting several posts that have gone well past the friendly and welcoming tone we ALL need to strive for. If I cut too deep, my apologies, but we need to try and all get along better.

Before you hit that reply button, think about what sort of message your comments and threads like this say about our community and our ability enjoy the space and our shared interests. We all need to do better.

If you think you're being antagonized, just walk away. If you are posting something that is antagonistic, don't. We're here to talk about VR, gaming, and help each other. People who can't stick to the rules and remain friendly will no longer be able to participate on this forum.

Be excellent to each other.

Help others find great discussions and answers by adding kudos and marking solutions to your questions.

I've got Gnomes & Goblins with my VivePort Infinity subscription and it looks fantastic with my OLED Vive Pro (Etsy lens mod and Index controllers).  Also looks very as good with my Quest 2.  Like you said, probably needs at least a 3080/3080ti/3090 to get the best visuals.  I'd def vote this as game of the year!

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

My greatest thanks, Ryan - this was one thread which for reasons I find hard to understand took a turn it never needed. Kevinw729 is a VR judge regarding these awards, and I greatly appreciate that he is sharing the above info - not that it's like movies and the Oscars, but maybe for VR enthusiasts this is the closest thing we got. Personally I'm excited about which titles win! (And I own and/or have played many of the titles - at least for the games.) 

Thus this thread could be a great place to - in a respectful way - discuss which candidates should win - for example which you like best of the candidates and why etc. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

*deleted

I was hoping we would hear from posters on what games and or content they felt had been omitted from the lineup? (Understanding that many of the key releases were covered last year).

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Fun thing, if I after a long day feel I need to go out and enjoy nature, starting up Chapter 11 (=Open World) in Gnomes & Goblins works great 🙂 Seriously - never seen better trees and the water looks awesome too etc. The amount of small subquests is really high, I'm only about 70% done.

I could do nice 45 fps using GTX 1080 and CV1 ss 2.0 thanks to ASW 2.0, so if you have a RTX 2060 or better this game should be an awesome experience - but in that case maybe best with native Oculus drivers due to ASW. 

Gnomes & Goblins is another great example of an awesome VR game getting close to no official reviews, or just bad official reviews even if most users love the game - and only a few die-hard VR enthusiasts may have played the game. My 9 year old son rated the game an easy 10/10, thus this game may be enjoyed by both kids and adults. Really great to give this game some attention through the VR Awards - devs worked more than 4 years on the game. 

Gnomes & Goblins is available in the Oculus Store and on Steam. 

Regarding omitted games and other content, do you know when content should have been published in order to be eligible candidates (specific dates)? 

Btw, made this list a few days ago, but it only covers 2021, not the last half of 2020 where Squadrons launched.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Games-and-Apps/Best-games-and-apps-so-far-in-2021/td-p/877238

I think you need to include Arden's Wake... 🙂