cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR Research Appeal [Repost]

Nath1194
Explorer

Hello. I’m urgently looking for
people to take part in a study exploring ways in which people experience presence
in a Virtual Environment that I am conducting as part of my masters degree in
Psychological Research at the University of Derby.

If you might be interested, I’d only need to have an online interview
with you, in which you’d be asked to discuss how present you felt during
your virtual experience. The interview lasts around 45 minutes, and a
dictaphone will be used to record the discussion for me to transcribe for
analysis. Everything discussed in the interview will be kept confidential and
anonymous. You will be able to withdraw your consent and participation at any
point in the study.

If you’d be willing to join this project, please email me at
n.kelly8@unimail.derby.ac.uk for the full
details.

Unfortunately, not everyone is able to take part in this
research. Those participating must fulfil the following requirements:

- Be at least 18 years of age

- Have no vulnerabilities to Virtual Reality technology

- To have used the Virtual Reality console yourself,
specifically the Oculus head-mounted display (Such as the Rift, Quest or Go
system)

- Have no previous adverse reaction to using the console

- Experience in an exploratory environment (Ie: No bots,
AI’s or human players)

More information will be provided upon contact.

Thank you for reading!

10 REPLIES 10

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
So this is now the fourth time that this request has been posted on here?

Are the @Moderators cool with this? Or dont they care?

Seems like its turning into a spam - especially as we have yet to see the results?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

Seems like its turning into a spam - especially as we have yet to see the results?

This is a moderated forum?
😉

Nath1194
Explorer

kevinw729 said:

Thank you for your very valid comment, would you care to see how the progress is going or be interested in seeing the results of the research?
EDIT: If you meant MY fourth request, I'd beg to differ. I have to ensure I track where I post for ethical approval and I don't agree that's accurate. We could discuss this if I am bothering you personally. 

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Nath1194 said:
Thank you for your very valid comment, would you care to see how the progress is going or be interested in seeing the results of the research?
EDIT: If you meant MY fourth request, I'd beg to differ. I have to ensure I track where I post for ethical approval and I don't agree that's accurate. We could discuss this if I am bothering you personally. 

Thank you Nath1194 - yes we would be interested
in seeing the progress, and better understanding what has been compiled so far, (dont create a new post, add it here, and can we avoid a wall of text please).

And yes, I was generalizing, and not just picking on your post(s) - this was the
latest of a slew of "requests for free research" on this, as well
as other forums I frequent.

No bother personally. Way too think skinned for that bro. No just concerned that
there was a need for moderation to outline what could be construed as overt
"door stepping".

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Nath1194
Explorer

kevinw729 said:
in seeing the progress, and better understanding what has been compiled so far, (dont create a new post, add it here, and can we avoid a wall of text please).

And yes, I was generalizing, and not just picking on your post(s) - this was the
latest of a slew of "requests for free research" on this, as well
as other forums I frequent.

No bother personally. Way too think skinned for that bro. No just concerned that
there was a need for moderation to outline what could be construed as overt
"door stepping".

In that case, I would be happy to post the final piece below for you. Please note that the current submission date is August 28th so this is still some time off yet and much work still has yet to be done. 

Research requests I imagine have increased in frequency, as this is still modern emerging technology. Perhaps a dedicate area in the forum would satisfy your previous irritations, however I would recommend you take this up with the folks above us. Research requests are vital to gain participants, and although you stated your distaste for my post (plus the other 3 you referred to), this research would not have been possible without it and I can only thank the people who got in touch with me. 

I, and I'd sincerely hope any others who search the internet for willing people, should be more than proud to share the efforts of our work with our fellow forum-users, based on shared similar interests. However, one issue then being I imagine many people do not come here to be lectured or follow our work and have other interests and conversation types in mind. Academic reading isn't for everyone, less so a 10,000 word essay. Nevertheless, I would be more than happy to share mine in a few months. 

Nath1194
Explorer

kevinw729 said:

As promised Captain.

Unpublished and unreviewed FYI. 

Nekto2
Superstar
Great work @Nath1194 !
Thank you for sharing!

Have you played HL:Alyx? It's great example of visual satisfaction.
That means if you see an object that resembles real world object (a box, a bottle, a car ...) it is perfectly same size, same color, same shadows etc. But if it is an "alien" object it just casts normal shadows and is lights up like real. Size will not break realism of an alien object (you have no previous experience with that object IRL).
But even if you see wrong size or color of an object and you have explanation why it should be that color or size it is ok. So, game/env story is also important. If you are in "space" then it is ok to fly around. But it will break immersion if you are in Earth env.

The more real looking objects will be there the more real it will looks like (small one, like butterflies, boxes,  bottles .. even small "wear out" parts of objects). Those are anchors to our brain to think "it is real".

But... that is for first time experience. After some weeks you could learn to think as "real" on almost any environment.  At least if it has correct real world light and shadows or other small objects corresponds to each other (see Lone Echo as an example).

You could try to display real person head in VR but start to change sizes of it from small to big one. When you get the size to be "like real" you mind will think it is "real". 
(you could try the same on a big 2D monitor with a photo, but try to look at it with one eye closed).

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Nath1194 said:

kevinw729 said:

As promised Captain.

Unpublished and unreviewed FYI. 

Well done on your hard effort.
KWP