cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR Wristbands

Just reading up on the latest tech and this seems interesting. I assume they work in conjunction with hand tracking to achieve something that's more accurate with more functionality than current tracking?

If they're detecting nerve impulses, maybe they can also interpret the amount of finger pressure being exerted which could make things very interesting if they're being used with gaming peripherals for example,  that then don't require their own internal trigger detection. Or when interacting with the real world in some form of AR.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56486802 

Edit: also notice this forum post from 2014, wonder if Oculus took an interest.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/General/Wristband-to-control-Oculus/td-p/153088 

(Edit 2 fixed broken link)

2 REPLIES 2

kojack
MVP
MVP

Your second link is broken.

Thalmic Labs made a product called the Myo which is basically the same thing (IMU based tracking and muscle sense for finger tracking). One of my students had one and loaned it to me for a while.

Ctrl-Labs bought the Myo IP from Thalmic Labs.

Facebook bought Ctrl-Labs.

So now we're seeing the Myo again, but improved, I guess. 🙂

It wasn't bad, but the finger tracking was pretty poor. It could recognise basic gestures like making a fist, spreading all your fingers, waving left or right and tapping your index finger and thumb together. That's it.

The problem is the sensors can pick up electrical signals in your nerves, but every time you put the band on it will need to re-learn, since it will be in a different position.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

I assume the current hand tracking technology is used along with the wrist bands in combination to make something that's an enhancement of what we now have, but I'm just guessing.

If we can have our hands tracked and add to that data from the wrist bands there may be possibilities for increased accuracy or additional information on force being used?

Orientation of the band definitely introduces a learning element but if Oculus is still using current finger tracking, that process could be pretty speedy. I'll recheck that link when I get to my PC!