Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR and paying for virtual visual goodies

BlaXun
Honored Guest
Hello there,

something crossed my mind just now.
Its about those goodies you can purchase for real money in some games...."useless" goodies that just place some visual elements somewhere...like, a headgear for your character...or a Bobble-Head figure inside your mech in hawken.

I usually wont buy such stuff cause, "meh, its just digital and won't boost my stats" ...however, with VR I could see myself purchasing such stuff cause it seems more real.

Whats your opinion on this? I think such visual enhancements could work really well in VR. (No, I do not plan to develop a game with lots of visual goodies to buy for real money 😄 )

Thx in advance
4 REPLIES 4

Ziggurat
Explorer
For me it would depend, probably not, except if I would need a professional meeting room, and I suppose those could be made easily cheaply or freely.
I would probably be inclined to make my own, if possible, or maybe acquire them by other means than forking over my hard earned dough.

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
I think we should allow VR to breathe before contaminating it with the things that have served to kill much of the fun of the traditional video games industry.

So while I agree that "pointless objects" could be more fun in VR, and even welcome, I think they should be FREE and part of the game, earned through, you know, good old fashioned gameplay and skill, not payola!

I swear many developers have forgotten what made games addictive and have made paying to advance more important than core fun via playing itself. I hate that about the industry in modern times, not because of the money element as such but the reduction in gameplay to reward ratio and deliberate removal of content originally destined to be part of the game. And yes that includes the trivial rewards such as decos etc - games need as many rewards as possible from playing them, not paying them.
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

MoeCapp
Protege
Inside a pre-designed game? Meh. I don't fault developers for making an extra buck though with some add-on vanity graphics or something, people gotta eat.

But VR is going to be used for far more than pre-produced controlled gaming environments. Inside an open metaverse? Definitely. If the Oculus team builds a metaverse scaled for hundreds of millions of people, that metaverse is going to be filled with products and services just like the real world. Some of that is going to cost money for the same reasons things have to cost money in meatspace.

jokamo
Honored Guest
As if the TF2 hat trade wasn't already big enough, it could just see another huge boost! 😉