cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR future good for reality?

aminemo
Explorer
Hey guys I wander if once our HMD reaches 4k resolution and 180 degrees of FOV and we start to make virtual tours and eat virtual food will we still need the real world then ?
Will we need to pay taxes to our governement in order to allows us to enter "the real" VR world
8-) Is the Matrix far from us?
4 REPLIES 4

Nurul3D
Explorer
yes, but VR should be NEURAL( not using eye) to go to that extent... 🙂

aminemo
Explorer
I don't agree eye is only a biologic optic sensor.
Maybe oculus will be able to send images directly into our retina using simple laser LEd combined with eye tracking and using electric brain stimulation to control your brain activity .
we are very close to that day I think.
And yes the matrix is already becoming like an old western movie

Alex1S
Honored Guest
"aminemo" wrote:
Hey guys I wander if once our HMD reaches 4k resolution and 180 degrees of FOV and we start to make virtual tours and eat virtual food will we still need the real world then ?

With 180 deg FOV you'll need at least 10-20k per eye, probably more [http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/rodcone.html]. 4k is nowhere nearly enough to make it indistinguishable from reality.

And then 90-120 FPS will be not nearly enough to completely avoid judder, you'll probably need about 1000 FPS [http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/down-the-vr-rabbit-hole-fixing-judder/].

300 million pixels at 1000 FPS will not be realised any time soon even with foveated rendering.

MrMonkeybat
Explorer
"Alex1S" wrote:
snip

300 million pixels at 1000 FPS will not be realised any time soon even with foveated rendering.

If you use a beam scanning retinal projector you only need to project a million pixel beams to simulate those 300 million pixels. With the ultralow persistence of a beam scanning projector 200fps or even 120 should be enough that no improvement can be gained by going higher, especially if it updates the position of the retina as it shoots each line of pixels.