VR is causing me Insomnia.

edguy1
Protege

As far as I know there's nothing to back this up
scientifically.

However In my own personal circumstances lately I've been
using the Rift for a 2-3 hours before I sleep, I'm normally in bed by 1am and
asleep within 15 mins.

I've noticed recently after using the Rift I can't get no sleep...or rephrased not
sleeping till 3 or 4am

I'm unsure if this is due to the bright light tricking my
brain into thinking its daylight or if VR is actually evolving my intelligence thus
increasing my minds activity.

On a completely contradictory note ; I did once fall asleep
with my rift on my head and woke up in a space station, I think this may of
left a psychological scar.

Anyone having a similar issue or am I on my own here....

34 REPLIES 34

philterino
Protege
i need to leave at least 30 mins wind down between gaming and bed... i imagine VR with it being way more intense  you would be best having a good solid hour of chillaxing before bed.

Vega55
Explorer
Read a book before drifting away. 

VizionVR
Rising Star
Studies indicate that VR stimulates a different area of the brain than standard 2D games. After sessions in VR I've experienced super vivid dream detail and full recall bordering on lucid dreaming. No insomnia though. Your case may be due to overstimulation. Try cutting down your VR time or giving yourself a few hours between VR and bed to see if that helps.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

crim3
Expert Protege
It's a bad idea to do stimulating things like watch an action movie or play counter strike before going to bed. Chances are that your brain will be at full throttle what makes very difficult to fall sleep.

edguy1
Protege

Thanks you all for your replies, It's difficult to cut down my VR time as I love it, I think I may have become a VR addict - I admit I do have an addictive personality.

I will try take timeout and maybe watch TV between my VR time and sleep, however I have tried doing this previously and whilst watching TV I keep thinking to myself why am I watching this 2D primitive technology when I could be inside VR.

I am hoping in the future that someone develops a VR rehab applications that runs within VR to help me control my obsession, or perhaps a VR app that relaxes me in prep for sleep.

EliteSPA
Superstar
Because your brain wants more VR!!  😄
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

L_E_D_BLUE
Expert Protege
It is not the VR doing it, it is the amount of blue light. 

frantic
Protege
It's because you're to excited to sleep.. This happens to me if I get to caught up in a game to much. I remember not being able to sleep after playing Eve Online. All I could think about was how I could improve my ship's setup by adding this module, and replacin that module to free up some powergrid, but then I needed more ship cpu power but how could I find a solution to that, perhaps if I google I could see if there was some skill or module that I could use that I've somehow missed, hmmm OH MY GOD 2 HOUR SINCE I WENT TO BED, I WAS SUPPOSED TO SLEEP NOW! ... lol

DelmarKane
Expert Protege
It is the blue light from the screens inside the rift.  Blue light has been scientifically proven to prevent the brain from being able to produce melatonin, a hormone needed for sleep.  I had this problem before, though since I got my Gunnars, it hasn't happened.

Try stopping the Rift about an hour before you go to bed.  Don't watch TV or be on the computer and you should be ok.