cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valve Knuckles + Oculus Quest (1 & 2)

Zenbane
Level 16

Last month a video was posted showing exactly how to pair the Knuckles with the Oculus Quest. It should work with both Quest 1 and 2.

The benefit here is having the awesome power of a wireless  HMD coupled with Lighthouse Tracking.

You will need Open Space Calibrator:

https://github.com/pushrax/OpenVR-SpaceCalibrator/releases

You'll also need some additional hardware, vr dongles:

https://vrdongles.com/

Video Instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9lR5LbSkdk

Reddit Instructions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/jjz4i5/how_to_use_oculus_quest_with_index_controllers/

Happy Hunting! 😎

5 REPLIES 5

TomCgcmfc
Level 16

@Zenbane  Thanks mate.  Looks like a fun rainy day project, lol!  Since I already have 2x 2.0 base stations and Index controllers (currently in use with my Vive Pro) the only thing I would need are the 2x USB dongles (aud$115 shipped for me).

I just need to think through the whole thing and what it would give me in return.  I'm actually very happy with my Q2 wireless with both Air Link and Virtual Desktop and its inside out tracking seems to work fine for me.  I really like that I can play wireless with my Q2 in either my PC/Hobby room or my adjacent TV room.  In my PC room I'm a little less than 2m away from my Router's 5Ghz wifi, separated by a thin internal wall and my PC is ethernet wired to my Router with 2m of 5e cable.  In my TV room I can sit on my comfy LazyBoy recliner and am only 3m direct sight away from my Router's 5Ghz wifi.  The performance in both locations is very good and I don't see any differences in either location.

My main concerns are;

My base stations of course are in my PC room so switching over to Index controllers would limit me to my PC/Hobby room.

I use my Vive Pro with ALL my flight/racing sims and thanks to the Index controllers I'm using it more and more with many of my Steam and VivePort games.  I don't like using Revive so I do not use my VP with any Oculus store games.  Right now, thanks to my Vive Link Box on/off switch and OTT's ability to turn on/off Oculus runtime services and very good audio switcher, I find swapping  between my Vive Pro and Q2 is very easy.  I'm a bit concerned that If I paired my Index controllers to my Q2 I may need to pair them again with my Vive Pro when I wanted to use it again.

I also have quite a few 2.4Ghz devices in my home.  I've kicked everything and everyone off 5Ghz and reserved this for my Q2.  My understanding is that this could pose a problem with the Q2/Index/Base Station calibrations.

So, I don't think the prize is worth it for me right now but it's something I'll definitely monitor.  Thanks for the post mate and cheers.

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Quest 2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro.

ohgrant
Level 8

Thanks Zen, my index controllers will be here Thursday, I ordered them for my G2 but this sounds like an interesting experiment too. I'm thinking as an alternative to the two dongles, an old Vive can be used as well with the HDMI disconnected. One of two methods to connect the G2 as well. 

I have a few of those dongles around here somewhere, I picked up a while ago when I was considering Pimax with index controllers but I don't think I will need them since I'm going to try the Vive method first.

Looking forward to trying this, but of course not really necessary for Oculus. They've got inside out down where WMR still lacks greatly. Thank you Sir  

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 16gb ddr 4 3200, 1080ti. Z800 HMD, DK1, DK2, CV1, Vive wireless, Quest, HP Reverb. Viewsonic 1080p 3D projector ASUS 3D vision monitor.  UAD Apollo interface, Yamaha studio monitors.  

Nekto2
Level 8

Amazing!

Best of two worlds (precise hand tracking and wireless)

Will you be able to do full body tracking with addition of vive trackers?

Not sure how it's going to play out. My first concern is getting the G2 working with the knuckles. I'm thinking I may want to set up the Quest's with the dongles and the Reverb to the bluetooth connections in the Vive in hopes one won't conflict with the other. Not sure yet though, I'm new to OVR space calibrator and advanced settings. 

In any case getting it set up in my Quest's are a lesser concern because I rarely use it in this room preferring virtual desktop in my largest room away from the equipment for wireless right now.  

Not something I'm going to rule out though. Wireless + full body lighthouse tracking does sound nice but I'm not sure I want another USB battle like Lynus had here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we7PysQbOvc

I plugged my lighthouses in to make sure they still work, probably the first time in 2 years. They power on and still detect my wands. Best case scenario is being as simple as changing profiles to swap from using the Knuckles with the G2 and the Quest's, I'll know soon enough      

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 16gb ddr 4 3200, 1080ti. Z800 HMD, DK1, DK2, CV1, Vive wireless, Quest, HP Reverb. Viewsonic 1080p 3D projector ASUS 3D vision monitor.  UAD Apollo interface, Yamaha studio monitors.  

ohgrant
Level 8

Just an update, I was mistaken about being able to use the Vive for it's BT controllers for the Quest. That worked for the G2 but Oculus is not recognized in space calibrator using the Vive. I searched all over for the dongles I had and ended up ordering new ones. 

One thing I didn't take into consideration is that the mod only works for Steam games. With the G2 revive only works with the WMR controllers, when the index controllers are connected, nothing but a white screen is displayed here with revive. Kind of makes sense for Oculus to not add support for index controllers. 

I may be wrong but suspect the same will be for Oculus, knuckles support only in Steam VR games. I'll know soon enough