cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Varjo teases "Varjo for All" ahead of Thursday's reveal

Anonymous
Not applicable

https://uploadvr.com/varjo-for-all-teaser/

Could this mean a consumer level device coming from Varjo rather than another B2B high priced device with extra cost of subscription? Will be interesting to see what they announce tomorrow.

Certainly an exiting month for VR with this and Oculus Connect next week.

31 REPLIES 31

kojack
MVP
MVP

The important question will be is it available to all or priced for all?

Their current headsets range from $3000 to $5500. Are they just making them easier to get for non enterprise, or have they made a consumer specific model? Did they nerf the specs to make it affordable?

Definitely interesting to see, the Varjo does seem to be pretty cool. The XR-3 having lidar for AR purposes is cool.

The announcement is 2am Friday for me. 9am PT Thursday for the US.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

My guess would be a new hmd, but I doubt it will be less than 1k - and more than 2k 🙂

Varjo for all makes sense if ordinary consumers get access to the hmd.

Varjo-For-All-scaled.jpg

I bought CV1 for Lone Echo, and Index for an unnamed Valve game - Varjo seems to have no content, so there's that... If I wanted more res I'd have bought Vive Pro 2 or a Pimax hmd, but interesting what Varjo is up to...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Btw, if Varjo should be for all and they're preparing a VR-3 variant for ordinary mortals, then this needs to come down a lot:

vr3.jpg

- I'm not holding my breath, but interesting "what's in the box", lol... And to get some reviews...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Varjo seems to have no content, so there's that...

The Varjo VR-3 is compatible with OpenXR and SteamVR software, and uses SteamVR Lighthouse 1.0 / 2.0 tracking. It's compatible with Vive controllers (and probably Index).

Although I'm guessing OpenXR and SteamVR games won't get the key feature of Varjo headsets: the dual panel per eye extra res thing. That needs custom rendering.

(The Varjo has a main display per eye, then a small extra high res panel floating in the middle of each eye, giving great resolution in the centre of vision. Although it can't move, so you only get that res when looking forward)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Lo and behold, it is a hmd 😁 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh wow.

Just saw the vid - kinda suprised Varjo let this be broadcast prior to their event today. I missed the very beginning though.

Afraid I am likely going to have to jump in on this one.

It is looking pretty good - and I already use and prefer earbuds for audio.

Crap, I really don't need another headset yet either. Augh!

But my Lighthouse 2.0 tracking and Index controllers will work so well with it.

Edit: Note currently only Nvidia GPU's are supported.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

kevinw729_1-1634822479806.jpeg

The new VARJO Aero - aimed at mid-scale enterprise, entertainment and prosumer VR users.
The SeriousVR platform developers looking at broadening their market.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

To me everything died right here:

w4242t.jpg

I get close to 90 fps with the Index res 100%, and of course you could say I rarely use res 100%, but 30 fps with Aero means I'd have to "under sample" a lot to get solid 90 fps in many games. 

Then there's the audio, or lack of audio - I do not buy a hmd which has no proper audio solution. To me the audio is nearly as important as the visuals. I'd like to be blown away by the audio - and Index delivered, Varjo Aero delivered nothing at all. 

The fov - really terrible vertical fov. Fov in a new hmd should be better than what I have with the Index, not a lot worse. According the MRTV, Index has fov = 108°/130° (horizontal/vertical), while Varjo Aero = 100°/76°. Treated as a square that's a 85% (yes, eighty-five, you read the number correctly) bigger fov with the Index! So everything died there - again. 

Unavngivet.jpg

And lcd, but not a bad solution with mini LED, still no real oled, kinda disappointing. 

MRTV did a clever thing using Alyx, Boneworks and Skyrim - because these games run perfectly on everything or close 😉

Now try to Revive Lone Echo 2 - on the Varjo Aero - how good would that be? 🤔 😬 

Even if I guessed right that the price would be lower than $2k 😂 - the price of $/€ 1990 is way too high. And you'll need base stations - and you can't get any, because base stations have been sold out for the last 2 years - and still are:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1059570/Valve_Index_Base_Station/

Seems dead-in-the-water unless you already have base stations. Or pay the Ebay base station scalpers. 

I'm not into sims - I only care for performance in Lone Echo 2 right now, and Varjo Aero has not impressed me. Not going to play Alyx again - and Alyx looks and plays totally awesome with the Index. Boneworks too. 

I'd love to get more res, but it needs to be free or close - maybe with foveated rendering or similar techniques. With Varjo Aero I just see another high-res hmd where the gpu gets an even higher workload. 

MRTV is known to be very appreciative when it comes to new high-res hmds, let's see some users reviews when the thing arrives 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Order placed.

Already have the Lighthouse 2.0 system and Index Controllers.

As far as audio I prefer earbuds anyway so that works for me.

Delivery showing 3-4 months, I anticipate it will lean toward 4 or maybe even more. Supposedly the card does not get charged until it is ready to ship - will see. 

Nice to see some willing to take the risk on the higher end enthusiast market. I hope it is all like it sounds like will be.