cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Varjo teases "Varjo for All" ahead of Thursday's reveal

dburne
Level 15

https://uploadvr.com/varjo-for-all-teaser/

Could this mean a consumer level device coming from Varjo rather than another B2B high priced device with extra cost of subscription? Will be interesting to see what they announce tomorrow.

Certainly an exiting month for VR with this and Oculus Connect next week.

Rift CV1| Rift S| Quest| Reverb G2| Index| Vive Pro 2
31 REPLIES 31

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

@RuneSR2 wrote:

MRTV is known to be very appreciative when it comes to new high-res hmds, let's see some users reviews when the thing arrives 🙂

I don't trust anything MRTV says after the way he tried to turn the Reverb community against anyone who had issues with the G2.

Seems all the headsets are being revealed this month. Pimax are showing a teaser of a "next gen" headset on monday (25 oct).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Agreed, and after all these years, just put in two 4k oled panels in my CV1 and I'll not ask for more. Seriously. 

(Ok, maybe some more fov then, lol)

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

From Varjo:

The eye tracking also allows for advanced dynamic foveated rendering to take place to further enhance application performance.”

Of course interesting how that goes - but you being used to the Vive Pro 2 and earbuds, Aero might not be a big jump when it comes to performance. 

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Of course interesting how that goes - but you being used to the Vive Pro 2 and earbuds, Aero might not be a big jump when it comes to performance. 

Yeah will see. I am fully prepared to be thrilled or disappointed, hopefully not the latter. It has some technology I am very interested in and anxious to see. Plus my main course are my flight simulators which I play perpetually so it is not like playing a game till finish and then done with it. Probably flight and race sim enthusiasts are going to be the folks more interested and willing to spend the bucks for a device like this.

But of course in a few months time I may be kicking my tail for doing it. Would not be the first time lol.

I will say if this headset is as good as I think it might be, it will darn well be the last one I buy for quite some time. Enough is enough. I have already spent way more on VR than I should have really.

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

So the two big things they cut: ultra leap and bionic display, which were the more interesting features.

Ultra Leap (formerly Leap Motion) gave their other headsets hand tracking using IR cameras. I don't know if they did it with Varjos, but a Leap Motion could also be used for passthrough video on other headsets like the CV1. My experience with Leap Motion tracking show it to be more reliable and faster than Quest 2 tracking. So they removed hand tracking and passthrough video in one hit.

The bionic display is their dual panel per eye thing, a lower PPD peripheral display for the full FOV of the headset, and a smaller focus area with very high PPD.

The Aero has motorised IPD using the eye trackers, that's pretty cool.

RoadToVR's FOV tests (with and without the facepads):

firefox_TMVq47mve3.png

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

I just tested the Index again - and I get the exact same values for fov as MRTV, which is 108°/130° (horizontal/vertical) with lenses all dialed-in. The maker of TestHMD even gets 108/132:

Thus something seems wrong with the Road To VR measurements, or very odd. My best guess is the Road To VR did not dial-in the Index lenses at all - thus measured the lowest fov Index will provide (lenses all dialed-out). 

Still if we take Road to VR's numbers:

If Aero = 84/64, and Index = 106/106 - the Index fov is a gigantic 106 % larger. 

If Aero = 102/77 (no facepad) and Index = 108/106, then Index is 46 % larger.

- but with lenses all dialed in at 108/130, even without facepad Aero would have much smaller fov, as Index now would have 79 % bigger fov.

dburne
Level 15

I have Index, Reverb G2, and Vive Pro 2 along with Rift S and Quest.

FOV is not a big deal for me, as really when using each headset one focuses on the sweet spot and moves their head to accommodate for this. Vertical FOV mean very little to me, and horizontal just a bit. 

I am more about the quality of the image overall in the headset. This is where I hope the Aero will shine.

Certainly the horizontal FOV in Aero is not going to be worse than Reverb G2. I also hope the smaller overall FOV will help some in the performance department. When eye tracking gets supported properly in games then imho FOV will be a bigger factor.

Also of note it supports Open XR, and if it works with it in say MSFS 2020 as good as the Reverb G2 does with Open XR that will be a nice benefit as well.  That part remains to be seen though.

And it would be really nice if some developers supported  the eye tracking, though I doubt that will happen anytime soon. At least until some of the bigger higher volume players start to integrate that feature in their devices.

The Dutch ladies also tested Lone Echo 2 - quite amazing, they sure know my soft spot - and seems foveated rendering was working letting the game run relatively fine using a 2080 Ti?! Still I didn't see any proper measurement with fpsVR, and knowing Lone Echo 2 I doubt Aero would be anything close to a first choice for that game... 

But the loud active fan noise was really bad - 50 dBA is more than my RTX 3090 provides using the High performance bios, lol. I do not like active fans in a hmd, because usually such small fans will get louder and louder, if it's possible to top those extremely noisy 50 dBA... Now I might need to see Tested's review too, maybe the ladies got a faulty unit, 50 dBA would be a red flag so close to your ears.  

345.JPG

I wonder if those fans in the HMD are needed to cool the unit, or if they are just a feature to cool one's head.

If they are not needed to cool the unit then I wonder if they provide a way to turn them off if not needed.

I have never had a heat issue with a headset making me uncomfortable, but I have air conditioning blowing down directly on me and keep my office very cool. So not sure I would understand why the unit would need the fans to operate.