cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Varjo teases "Varjo for All" ahead of Thursday's reveal

Anonymous
Not applicable

https://uploadvr.com/varjo-for-all-teaser/

Could this mean a consumer level device coming from Varjo rather than another B2B high priced device with extra cost of subscription? Will be interesting to see what they announce tomorrow.

Certainly an exiting month for VR with this and Oculus Connect next week.

31 REPLIES 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is an interesting and exciting read on the new Varjo Aero.

I was not aware of the Varjo Reality Cloud service which is interesting as well.

https://varjo.com/press-release/varjo-introduces-varjo-aero-headset-to-bring-the-highest-fidelity-vi...

An excerpt:

"In addition, its built-in eye tracking powers not just interaction and analytics, but also foveated rendering that further reduces compute requirements and enables a crystal clear resolution. The lower PC hardware requirements of Varjo Aero enable more scalable deployments and various multi-user experiences, including flight and racing simulations, enterprise training scenarios, design and creative use-cases, as well as delivering immersive experiences in showrooms, museums, and virtual arcades."

pyroth309
Visionary

I saw Tested posted theirs.

pyroth309
Visionary

Not gonna lie, Norm got me tempted LOL. They said supersampling should be great all the way up to 8k per eye...so it's future proof....kinda. No telling what wizardry we'll have access to in a few years  But at least this kit can look better than it does now on a 3090 so there's that.  This does sound awesome for sims though.

I will say though, a lot of the things he was describing as never noticed before, especially the Alyx stuff, I saw clearly in G2. So that part doesn't really sway me. But I've played Alyx with a 3090 and he was on like a 2070 or something with the G2 lol.

As tempted as I am though, I will wait to see what Deckard and others bring. I can't see me being happy with this in the long term for the price.

@Anonymous wrote:

I have Index, Reverb G2, and Vive Pro 2 along with Rift S and Quest.

FOV is not a big deal for me, as really when using each headset one focuses on the sweet spot and moves their head to accommodate for this. Vertical FOV mean very little to me, and horizontal just a bit. 

I am more about the quality of the image overall in the headset. This is where I hope the Aero will shine.

Certainly the horizontal FOV in Aero is not going to be worse than Reverb G2. I also hope the smaller overall FOV will help some in the performance department. When eye tracking gets supported properly in games then imho FOV will be a bigger factor.

Also of note it supports Open XR, and if it works with it in say MSFS 2020 as good as the Reverb G2 does with Open XR that will be a nice benefit as well.  That part remains to be seen though.

And it would be really nice if some developers supported  the eye tracking, though I doubt that will happen anytime soon. At least until some of the bigger higher volume players start to integrate that feature in their devices.

To me it depends on what I'm doing. In a cockpit game, FoV is nice but not as nice as having a clear image for identification and target leading etc. I tend to tunnel vision when I'm trying to kill things anyway so it's not a big deal. That's why I still use the G2 in all my sims both driving and flying. Being able to look down and read my gauges easily is important in a dogfight. Likewise being able to clearly see my crosshair center dot etc. 

For general purpose playing like Lone Echo 2 or Alyx, I appreciate FoV a lot more. Less looking around with the head and being able to see more of the room I'm in adds a lot to the immersion for me. Feels more like I'm actually there. Honestly, I was the most immersed I've ever been in some of the parts of Lone Echo 2 for that reason. I tried two of my other headsets with lower FoV and it noticeably detracted for me. But obviously your mileage my vary.

Agreed, using Index, although fov isn't perfect, I don't feel fov limited. In fact I totally forget I'm wearing a hmd after a few seconds, also because the vertical fov is what I'd call 100%. That is, the vertical fov covers my entire visual field - from my nose/cheeks to my eyebrows, or it's so close that I don't feel vertically limited at all. The horizontal fov isn't 180 degrees, but still so huge I don't really feel (very) limited. Using the CV1 is a very different situation. 

$2k is cheaper than a nice comic book, lol - I wouldn't mind getting one just for testing the foveated rendering, but let's see how normal users rate the hmd when these start shipping. If foveated rendering really does work great that could be a game changer - but those fans... and the fov... Also if Varjo can do foveated rendering, I'm sure Valve and especially Facebook will be there in a second too, lol.  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

I was disappointed with Norm this time - he did not measure fov nor mentioned that the unit has active fans. He also did not measure performance in OpenVR Benchmark - somehow feels like MRTV so far made the best review, but I didn't find that he mentioned active fans anywhere:

https://mrtv.co/2021/10/varjo-aero-review-the-new-king-of-high-end-vr/

Strange that you have to see so many reviews to get a proper overview, but great that the Dutch ladies did test both Lone Echo 2 and the noise levels. And they confirmed the low fov - and got same numbers as MRTV. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Agreed, using Index, although fov isn't perfect, I don't feel fov limited. In fact I totally forget I'm wearing a hmd after a few seconds, also because the vertical fov is what I'd call 100%. That is, the vertical fov covers my entire visual field - from my nose/cheeks to my eyebrows, or it's so close that I don't feel vertically limited at all. The horizontal fov isn't 180 degrees, but still so huge I don't really feel (very) limited. Using the CV1 is a very different situation. 

$2k is cheaper than a nice comic book, lol - I wouldn't mind getting one just for testing the foveated rendering, but let's see how normal users rate the hmd when these start shipping. If foveated rendering really does work great that could be a game changer - but those fans... and the fov... Also if Varjo can do foveated rendering, I'm sure Valve and especially Facebook will be there in a second too, lol.  

I kind of view it as, the 2k for the Aero is just slightly more than what I paid for my EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra, and I know I am just going to run that GPU for a couple of years or so.

But I am retired and I game a lot, many hours each and every week, so I feel like I get good value for my dollars.

Really though had I not already had the Index Base Stations and Controllers I likely would not have taken the plunge. Getting good use out of those, first used with Index then Vive Pro 2 and will be using with the Aero when it arrives.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Q & A session with MRTV.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also something that does not get discussed a lot regarding this new upcoming headset is the variable resolution:

The Varjo Aero features a cutting-edge optical design that propels users to a new level of visual fidelity, pushing the pixels tighter together directly in front of you. The variable resolution lenses create an ultra-sharp peak resolution of 35 PPD, right at the centre of focus where it matters most – mimicking the way the human eye works. Alternative commercially available headsets max out closer to 20 PPD.The Varjo Aero features a cutting-edge optical design that propels users to a new level of visual fi...

The Varjo Aero features a cutting-edge optical design that propels users to a new level of visual fidelity, pushing the pixels tighter together directly in front of you. The variable resolution lenses create an ultra-sharp peak resolution of 35 PPD, right at the centre of focus where it matters most – mimicking the way the human eye works. Alternative commercially available headsets max out closer to 20 PPD.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if this has been posted - from VR Flight Sim Guy - pretty exiting stuff: