cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vive Pro 2

pyroth309
Visionary

I saw this yesterday and I'm kind of interested to see what the specs and cost is.

https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-announce-vive-focus-3-vive-pro-2-report/

Rumors swirling on the Vive reddit that it's 120hz lcd, 120 degree FOV, and much higher resolution than index. Guess we'll find out next week.

79 REPLIES 79

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kojack wrote:

@pyroth309 wrote:

Also the rumors were wrong about the FoV being horizontal. It's Diagonal.

HTC has now clarified that 120 deg FOV really is horizontal, not diagonal.

https://twitter.com/RtoVR/status/1392815639354433536

Even better! I will say if this headset is able to replace my Reverb G2 for flight sims I will be very happy. Native Steam VR support without the nuances of WMR will certainly be nice.

@kojack wrote:

@pyroth309 wrote:

Awesome. Yea that was confusing, the rumors were right about everything else and then the HTC spec sheet showed diagonal. That makes any possible audio shortcomings a lot easier to swallow. I'll just get my own solution if they aren't good enough.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pyroth309 wrote:

@kojack wrote:

@pyroth309 wrote:

Awesome. Yea that was confusing, the rumors were right about everything else and then the HTC spec sheet showed diagonal. That makes any possible audio shortcomings a lot easier to swallow. I'll just get my own solution if they aren't good enough.

I have not had a VR Headset yet that I did not prefer to use earbuds with. Guess I am kind of an earbud guy lol.

pyroth309
Visionary

I can't stand earbuds and is why I prefer to have good built on audio. They always fall out of my ears and it's infuriating. I've always preferred over ear phones.  I'll have to get some that wrap around my ear or something because I haven't owned a headset that over ear wouldn't be clunky to use. But we'll see what it sounds like before I do all that.

parsecn
Heroic Explorer

I'm not as active on these forums as I once was - having moved away from Oculus when I went G2 / Knuckles however, at the media release of this HMD I knew the gang here would be all over it, and it's lovely to see at least two of you have pre-ordered! I also appreciate this community as many of you have owned multiple headsets, know your s*it, and pull no shots re review - no MRTV-esque hype "The Killer" at every HMD launch.

I currently like the G2, but I'm not in love with it. Principally, I find the headset uncomfortable after about 45 minutes. VP2 looking attractive so I can ditch WMR & exclusively utilise base stations/lighthouse tracking, the FOV bump (especially with a 10mm vrcover pad), eye relief, Vive Pro often touted as a very comfortable HMD, etc. Watching with bated breath. 

That's unfortunate that the G2 isn't comfortable for you. I found it to be one of the most comfortable HMD's I've ever used but the default face plate wasn't good. It had some pressure on my temples which I didn't find uncomfortable but could be felt.

Definitely understand wanting to get everything into a single ecosystem so to speak. Having to deal with the two layers and tracking systems is what deterred me from combining Index with G2 this far along.

I'm also looking forward to the Vive Pro 2 for similar reasons. I'd like to have Light house tracking volume and have it all be within the same ecosystem if possible.

The resolution, the tracking, and the eye relief are all selling points for me but the 120 horizontal FoV is now actually my favorite feature. That's significant considering the Index is around 108 horizontal for a lot of people.

I also read that the Vive Pro 2 will have double lenses for each eye. This could be a good or bad thing. They likely will be fresnel and may be prone to the same glare issues index has....but it could also means it could have edge to edge clarity. That would be favorable upgrade over the G2 which has a lot of blur around the outer edges. It also likely means lens mods like the etsy mod for OG vive pro won't be compatible. So if HTC screws up these lenses, it's a dead on arrival headset.

I think with 5k res at 120 horizontal, that would probably mean text legibility and such will be similar to G2 just with wider FoV. We shall see.

Good to hear OG Vive pro was comfy.

@pyroth309 wrote:

I think with 5k res at 120 horizontal, that would probably mean text legibility and such will be similar to G2 just with wider FoV. We shall see.

Yep, increased res and increased fov will probably cancel each other a fair bit and be equivalent in the centre to a G2.

I didn't find the G2 uncomfortable. No match for a CV1, but it was fine (better than a Quest). But the cable was another story. Rigid, thick and the rubber coating was grippy, it would pull my shirt when I turned my head. The original Rift-S cable was similar size but more flexible.

"VP2 looking attractive so I can ditch WMR & exclusively utilise base stations/lighthouse tracking"

Ditching WMR would be nice. I'd still be stuck with SteamVR which I'm not a fan of, but I'd take SteamVR over WMR/SteamVR hybrid.

The lighthouse stuff though, that's a bit trickier. Valve still won't sell Index stuff to Australia and there's no way in hell I'd settle for a Vive wand. On Amazon I can get Index controllers for $829, plus $442 each for base station 2.0s. That's a bit much.

I suppose it's still way better than AntiLatency tracking. I was a fan of them, but the prices are a bit extreme. A 10m x 10m tracking area with 2 people, each with body tracking costs over $10,000us.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

@pyroth309 wrote:

That's unfortunate that the G2 isn't comfortable for you. I found it to be one of the most comfortable HMD's I've ever used but the default face plate wasn't good. It had some pressure on my temples which I didn't find uncomfortable but could be felt.

I also had a good deal of pressure on my temples with the stock G2 facial interface - and my FOV in G2 (via testhmd) was 98v 88h which is worse than CV1! Imagine my reaction the first time I put on the G2 😕 I own a 3D printer and have printed every single mod/interface on thingiverse, settling on HP Reverb G2 Face Cover better FOV / SweetSpot / wider Version - supportless - easy to print and can achieve 114v 100h with a 10mm pad. Have experimented with up to 16mm facial pad, but ultimately it's not the pressure on my face that's uncomfortable, more pressure along the sides of my head and at rear - I've also padded the rear area from occipital lobe and up, just can't make it fit/feel good on my head. 

You make an interesting point with Vive utilising double lenses for each eye - and a potential for edge to edge clarity. I definitely struggle with this and the G2, although once in game and doing my thing it's not overly troublesome. The 3D printed interface made a world of difference with opening up the sweet spot, but I'm certainly not achieving edge to edge clarity. 

parsecn
Heroic Explorer

The lighthouse stuff though, that's a bit trickier. Valve still won't sell Index stuff to Australia and there's no way in hell I'd settle for a Vive wand. On Amazon I can get Index controllers for $829, plus $442 each for base station 2.0s. That's a bit much.

I bit the bullet (earlier in the year) and ordered a couple Vive SteamVR Base Station 2.0 from Vive in Australia. In the end, it was about $200AUD more expensive than if I'd ordered from Valve in the US and had it on-shipped (even including shipping from US-AUS) however, we get a 2 year warranty in Australia where the Valve stuff is only 12 mo. in the US. And, I had them landed on my door in like 4 days vs. waiting 4 months (or more) for Valve to even stock them, let alone ship and on-ship. I did have to jump through those very hoops to land the Knuckles, but I'm very pleased with the purchase and touch wood have not suffered any issues which would require warranty. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

So after getting my order in for the Vive Pro 2 I decided to finally sell my EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra. Have had this 3090 FTW3 running great since Nov so figure it was going to be ok.

Posted that puppy on the flight sim forums and had it sold in less than an hour.

Covered the cost of the Vive Pro 2.

I could have got more for it on Ebay but that was not my goal, I wanted to see a fellow flight sim enthusiast end up with it.