cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wait for consumer version as developer?

MrRobville
Honored Guest
Hello everyone,

This may have been posted before in similar topics, but I wasn't able to find a fitting answer to my question. Forgive me if I repeat this subject.

I'm making some preparations for an indie game and I'm very curious about using the Rift but I'm wondering if I specifically need the development kit already for future development.
Since the current SDK does not feature the final (improved) product I'm likely to wait for the consumer version. But does the consumer version also include the SDK tools to work with for developers or is it for gamers only?

My game's production hasn't started yet so there is no rush for me to get one, but if the consumer version doesn't include the SDK I may need to order the current development kit in advance.

So to summarize my question: can the final consumer version be used for development as well just like the current DK version? What are the mayor differences between the two?

Feel free to link any topics here if this question has been answered somewhere else already.
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Since I'm not from the official company, I cannot give an official answer, however as far as I can tell, you'd be able to develop with the consumer version just fine. The SDK is a free download that only requires a forum account (I think? Don't really remember tbh. Either way it's free), and all the Rift really does is sending signals through USB to the computer. Whether you use these to play a game, or read from to develop a game, I don't think matters.

It doesn't sound like there should be a single problem with developing games with the consumer version, other than the fact that it is about at least 1 year away (as far as I understand from the various vague discussions of the topic). But like I said, I'm just a developer, so I can only guess.
Only thing I can imagine is 'no free 4month Unity Pro key' and other stuff like that (if there is any more? o.O).

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
Depends a lot on your budget, your game, and your schedule. I would say it is beneficial to have a Rift for testing as early on in development as you can. Prevailing dogma is that games designed from the beginning with VR in mind will provide a much better experience than retro-fitted titles.

See these videos for an overview of what is different about developing for the Rift:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CrjjN7W2qY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMmi-jS4OYA

If your main concern is access to the SDK, you should be able to download it here: https://developer.oculus.com/?action=dl

Frito
Explorer
As for consumer ver, we have no confirmed info other than it will have a better screen and that it will be awesome :lol: also, a 2014 release, we dont know if march 2014 or dec 2014 or whenever

Have in mind there is a confirmed DEVKIT2 to be released before the consumer version. Imo it probably will be more expensive than the actual one.
Backer "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey

Vin
Explorer
All the information that has been made available since the beginning has suggested that the final consumer model can still be used for development. The SDK is available for download in the developer center, so shouldn't be locked out from use. I fully expect to be able to continue development with the consumer version.

cybereality
Grand Champion
If there is no rush then waiting for consumer is not a bad option.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

MrRobville
Honored Guest
Thanks a lot for the answers, it's now a lot more clear to me.
There's indeed no rush so I'll wait for the consumer version then. I'm currently just making some preparations before I assemble a team to create the actual game. I don't expect any true development being done any time soon, so I can wait. I'll be definitely looking forward to it though.

I watched both videos that SnottyBison posted. It really gets the ideas flowing through my head of the many things to do with it. Thanks!

MattWales
Honored Guest
I can't wait for consumer version.

I just ordered mine and I can't wait to get it!

This is going to be EPIC and not just for games.

8-)