cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WebVR

AGL1
Protege
Has anyone been able to use either the Firefox or Chromium browsers to use WebVR on the ir Rift CV1 successfully?
46 REPLIES 46

Hyperionxvii
Explorer
In case anyone still does not have this working. I started trying to get this to work this evening and finally got it to work after a couple of hours of frustration. Now maybe no one made the silly mistake I did, but just in case, here it is. I downloaded and installed the latest version of Nightly, which is 64 bit. But I made the mistake of then clicking on the old 32 bit shortcut I had pinned to the taskbar. As soon as I corrected that, webVR started working perfectly for me in Nightly.

shiari
Heroic Explorer
FWIW, you don't need Nightly anymore, just need any 64 bit release.

mestela
Explorer
For the record, using the latest official release with webvr didn't work until I did the nvidia settings trick to force firefox to use the nvidia gpu. 

vicklik
Honored Guest
I'm going crazy with WebVR. I have installed the newest version of Firefox (64bit). When I start WebVR I see on my PC screen the right view. Also when I move the Headset I see on my PC screen the right movement. BUT in the Headset I see only the Firefox symbol and the message "Firefox.exe is taking a while to load...".

I have a GTX 1070 and check the setup that is recommended for firefox (selection of GPU). BUT in my Nvidia control panel (the latest one - I've updated it a few days ago) the recommended option is not available. Has anyone else the same problem, that the option is not available? And is there any way to solve it? Thanks in Adavance for every helpful hint.

My Settings are in german, but as you can see the option is missing:
8woso0mi3tm4.png

geogan
Explorer
Yes I am having the same problems - can't get WebVR to work at all!! Just black screen in headset and/or browser crash. Sometimes the headset tracking works in browser - i can see two images moving when i move my head but they are not the circular oculus images just square. Then Oculus complains "Sorry, firefox.exe is taking a while to load".

Even tried latest beta
nightly Firefox 56.0b11 at all. And as above person says this instruction below that
we are supposed to do is impossible:

"For PCs (especially laptops) using NVIDIA chipsets, there are several methods of enabling the discrete GPU. One way is from the NVIDIA Control Panel: Load 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings tab, and select Mozilla Firefox (firefox.exe) (with the Firefox icon) as the program to customize, and select “High-performance NVIDIA processor” as the preferred graphics processor."

There is NO “High-performance NVIDIA processor” option anywhere in the Program Settings tab FFS!!!

Tried demos on this page: https://webvr.rocks/firefox#setup

Coolermaster HAF 932, ASUS Rampage II Extreme, Intel i7 970 @ 3.2GHz, Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming GTX 1070, 12Gb Corsair Dominator GT DDR3, OCZ Vertex 4, 17TB SATA storage, Creative HS-1000 Fatal1ty USB X-Fi Gaming Headset, ASUS Xonar DSX audiocard, Logitech G15 Keyboard, XFX Triple monitor stand, Dell U2715H, Dell 2407WFP x 2, Tagan BZ-ESA Modular 800W, Windows 7 Professional 64bit | 16TB HP Proliant Media Server, Oculus Rift CV1 + Touch

geogan
Explorer
I was doing some research and it appears whatever nerd fuckwit gave the instructions above on WebVr site to use the "High-performance NVIDIA processor" option in NVidia control panel was using some sort of LAPTOP. This option is ONLY for laptops FFS. Doesn't exist in desktop machines. Idiotic red herring instructions.

Coolermaster HAF 932, ASUS Rampage II Extreme, Intel i7 970 @ 3.2GHz, Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming GTX 1070, 12Gb Corsair Dominator GT DDR3, OCZ Vertex 4, 17TB SATA storage, Creative HS-1000 Fatal1ty USB X-Fi Gaming Headset, ASUS Xonar DSX audiocard, Logitech G15 Keyboard, XFX Triple monitor stand, Dell U2715H, Dell 2407WFP x 2, Tagan BZ-ESA Modular 800W, Windows 7 Professional 64bit | 16TB HP Proliant Media Server, Oculus Rift CV1 + Touch

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Quick update:

The Windows 10 Falls Creators Update will include support for WebVR:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/58320/hide-your-rifts-windows-fall-creators-update-is...

https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2017/10/10/bringing-webvr-everyone-windows-10-fall-creators-upda...

Hopefully this will finally help resolve all these issues.

Roaster
Rising Star

geogan said:

Yes I am having the same problems - can't get WebVR to work at all!! Just black screen in headset and/or browser crash. Sometimes the headset tracking works in browser - i can see two images moving when i move my head but they are not the circular oculus images just square. Then Oculus complains "Sorry, firefox.exe is taking a while to load".

Even tried latest beta
nightly Firefox 56.0b11 at all. And as above person says this instruction below that
we are supposed to do is impossible:

"For PCs (especially laptops) using NVIDIA chipsets, there are several methods of enabling the discrete GPU. One way is from the NVIDIA Control Panel: Load 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings tab, and select Mozilla Firefox (firefox.exe) (with the Firefox icon) as the program to customize, and select “High-performance NVIDIA processor” as the preferred graphics processor."

There is NO “High-performance NVIDIA processor” option anywhere in the Program Settings tab FFS!!!

Tried demos on this page: https://webvr.rocks/firefox#setup

I finally got an icon to show up in Oculus Home for Firefox by turning on the headset with my thumb while starting the browser and then going to mozvr.com and starting A-Blast and clicking the headset button at lower right. 
Then close everything and restart OH, turn on the headset and start Firefox from the desktop, go to A-Blast page and click the icon and it started working in the headset like a vr game.
Regular firefox page doesn't load in the headset, outside of virtual desktop.
You might have to click the firefox icon in OH first, which appears to do nothing, but allows the web vr page to load I think.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

Roaster
Rising Star
Ok I got it now. First challenge is to get the firefox icon in OH.
Click the icon for firefox in OH so it shows the message trying to start, taking a long time whatever.
Then open the web page, navigate to a web vr page, start it from the desktop, click the headset icon and it comes up in the rift. 
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

Roaster
Rising Star