cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WebVR

AGL1
Protege
Has anyone been able to use either the Firefox or Chromium browsers to use WebVR on the ir Rift CV1 successfully?
46 REPLIES 46

bartv42
Honored Guest
I'm kind of reluctant to share this as it seems snake oil, but after spending half a day getting WebVR to work with Firefox, I changed the OH environment from the outdoor scene to indoor. It worked after that, even after changing it back again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Roaster
Rising Star

bartv42 said:

I'm kind of reluctant to share this as it seems snake oil, but after spending half a day getting WebVR to work with Firefox, I changed the OH environment from the outdoor scene to indoor. It worked after that, even after changing it back again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Did you have the FF icon in OH before changing the environment?
Sometimes it works for me, other times I click on the icon and it goes black for a second like it's going to launch the app but quickly reverts back to home. Just won't start no matter what order I do the steps.
This thing isn't ready yet.

edit ... I followed these steps and it worked:
Boot pc, Oculus service not running yet
Started Oculus app
Put on hmd clicked on Firefox icon, goes to Sorry, this app taking too long 
Take off hmd, Firefox is running but has dialog that FF not default
Change it to default, starts windows settings and change browser to firefox
Go to web vr site
click headset icon on web page
Page loads in hmd and runs ok
I never changed OH environments
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

bartv42
Honored Guest
Did you have the FF icon in OH before changing the environment?

No I did not and I still don't. I don't have a clue how to add that there, to be honest. How did you do that?

And I'm sad to report that WebVR stopped working again, so my snake oil solution was just that.

shiari
Heroic Explorer
Just to make sure, what version of FF are you running exactly?

Roaster
Rising Star

bartv42 said:

> Did you have the FF icon in OH before changing the environment?

No I did not and I still don't. I don't have a clue how to add that there, to be honest. How did you do that?

And I'm sad to report that WebVR stopped working again, so my snake oil solution was just that.

I'm not exactly sure what did it. Try opening the Oculus app, then from the desktop open firefox and navigate to a web vr page. On the web vr app there should be a hmd icon near the bottom. Activate the headset with your thumb and when it lights up click on the website hmd icon.  That's what starts the app in the hmd, and it should register on the Home app list now.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

crossmr
Protege
Yeah tha'ts not working at all. My headset is tracking..but nothing is showing up in my headset. It's just sitting on oculus home and not loading the website. Tried several, home just won't let the headset go. But it's clearly tracking. Any ideas? I'm on the latest firefox 64 bit.

hskpns
Honored Guest
  1. 1. Make sure that your Desktop and Rift are connected to the same Graphic card. You might need an HDMI to DVI converter for the same. This is what fixed the problem for me.
    2. Try installing SteamVR. SteamVR overrides the Oculus runtime and runs applications on its own.
    3. Try closing Oculus Home before you launch your WebVR application using the WebVR button.
    4. Make sure you are not in the Beta/Dash mode in Oculus 
    5. Try to disable the auto-opening of Oculus Home. Oculus home opens automatically on wearing the rift. To disable, select “Run as admin” field in the properties of the Oculus app. More specifically, go to /Oculus-Directory/Support/oculus-client/OculusClient, right click, select properties, check “Run as Administrator”.
    6. Try installing supermediumvr . It is an awesome VR browser available on Steam.