cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well, it seem VR is NOT dead :) but wich device will survive

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
Just to counter the tons of "vr is dead" topics 😛

We have at "least" 3 big vr device coming out, The Rift, obviously, the Vive, wich, based on how "open" those device are going to be, can either be the rift best friend or worst enemy, and the PSVR, wich is the most advantaged/disadvantaged of the 3.
We also have the "open vr" from razer, but is basically a DK1, i think is unfair to talk about it for now.

Now
Oculus have already "virtually" sold a lot... and i really mean a lot, more units than expected, infact they are out of stock for 3 months, that make me think about how much they could have sold if the price was really the expected one... we probably have had to wait until 2018 to have all the preorders fulfilled...

Vive is building a big hipe too, but what they were probably thinking to be a good stratagy (let the rift to be the first announcing his price) has revealed a potential big fault... now the rift have a price that many accept, many think is a scam.
the possibility are 3:

-If the price of the vive+the input controller is "in line", nothing special will happen, both device will sell well, and people will recognize that VR is expansibe, just like any other "NEW" tecnology that has arrived in the last years.

-If the price of vive+input controller is the same or Lower, the rift is screwed. We already know that the experience is similar to the rift, standing and seated experience excluded, both systems have the same specs and (i think) same system requirements, the moment vive give us a full product with the same "horsepower" at a lower price, all the rift preorders are going to disappear.
This wont make the end of VR, but will be a serious punch in the face for Oculus.

-If the price of Vive+input controller is highter... and the rumors giving the vive at 1000-1500$ seems to confirm this last option.. well, the vive will still sell, but all the oculus orders will be confirmed, and a lot more will come.
Vive will, and is already, shield himself putting the vive into the "entusiast" region (wich at the moment seems to be the rift position, even if i say, enthusiast compared to what? google cardboard?) and still selling a lot of unit, even if no near to the oculus rift ones.

And again, the "open market" personally, i would like people being able to chose the vr device because the like it, or think the "stats" are better, and not because "that game i like can run only on that device"
We already have consoles doing that, we don't need a console war in the pc comunity.
I really hope to b able toplay any VR game on both rift and vive, and expecially to be able to play WITH those people, regardles of what device they are using.

Also, we have to talk about PSVR and the potential fail that can accour...
Lets say thet PSVR will cost 300$, everybody will buy it, ps4 have 24milion (probably more, i'm flying low) units sold around the world.
This is a BIG pool of customers for the PSVR, but there is a problem.
The lac of games.
You see, is true that Rift, Vive, and PSVR doesn't seem to have "killer aps" at launch (lets be honest, eve valkyre is cool but is not tomb rider) soo, all of them start on the same gound right? WRONG! Rift and Vive have a BIIIG advantage that PSVR doesn't have.
The mods.
Mods, are literally the marketing cheat of any pc game. With modding you can make ANY game work with vr.
An old star wars tie fighter simulator? call a good modder and you are going to play it with the oculus, you like dying light? lets download the mod and parkour in VR! Alien isolation? ges what, you can feel a lot more isolated with VR!
Oh, you don't theust mods downloaded here and there? there are literally single programs that can convert hundreds of games to vr format...
With this prospective, yes, there are still not "killer aps" for rift and vive, but the pool of games is enormous compared to the PSVR. That means that if rfit and vive does not have a "big game" people will still buy them to play "those games" in vr, waiting for the big one.
PSVR, yes, it will sell, but if there is no big game for it, it will end up like kinect, a cool thing to have near the console, that you used at the beginning, but since all game are crap you don't use it anymore...

What you think? am i wrong? am i right? did i forgot something?

peace 🙂
11 REPLIES 11

Spaske
Honored Guest
You are right except with one thing, why do you think psvr will be ps4 exclusive?
I mean, i know it will be ps4 only blah blah, but as you said, good modders "could" make some progs so the psvr works on pc as well as the vive or the rift (Maybe even better?). And to be honest, i expect big things from sony, i mean its sony, they are well known for good screens (at least it was something like that).
And from my last infos morpheus has the best rez (i could be wrong).

But to get back to topic, vr is faaaar from dead... Those are just comments from "butthurt" people who wont pay the high"er" price or just cant afford it and hope with threads like "vr is dead" or "vr too expensice" they will get the price down... guess that wont happen.

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
"Spaske" wrote:
You are right except with one thing, why do you think psvr will be ps4 exclusive?
I mean, i know it will be ps4 only blah blah, but as you said, good modders "could" make some progs so the psvr works on pc as well as the vive or the rift (Maybe even better?). And to be honest, i expect big things from sony, i mean its sony, they are well known for good screens (at least it was something like that).

But to get back to topic, vr is faaaar from dead... Those are just comments from "butthurt" people who wont pay the high"er" price or just cant afford it and hope with threads like "vr is dead" or "vr too expensice" they will get the price down... guess that wont happen.

hmmm, modding the PVSR... well, that is somehow possible, but i think the "power" of the PSVR is not enough compared to rift and vive... Still, that will be kinda cool if possible,

grodenglaive
Honored Guest
"kalec84" wrote:
"Spaske" wrote:

hmmm, modding the PVSR... well, that is somehow possible, but i think the "power" of the PSVR is not enough compared to rift and vive... Still, that will be kinda cool if possible,

I'm sure someone will do that, but it would be pretty niche. On the other hand if Sony released an official SDK for PC, they could sell more HMD's... but would it lower their PS4 sales if they did?
GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2

obzen
Expert Protege
"grodenglaive" wrote:

I'm sure someone will do that, but it would be pretty niche. On the other hand if Sony released an official SDK for PC, they could sell more HMD's... but would it lower their PS4 sales if they did?

They don't seem to care about the PC usually. Whether it's controllers, or their 'kinect'.

Besides, I seem to remember the PSVR needs a PS4 camera, although it should pretty easy to engineer what the PS4 camera actually does.
DK1 FREAK...

HiThere_
Superstar
Sony is out to lock you down in both their own software and hardware right down to the audio headset. Not by producing superior audio headsets, but by preventing superior audio headsets from working on their platform.

And sure enough, if you're running a PC with the GPU horsepower of a ~300$ GTX 970, it would be a shame to waste it on a lower resolution, single screen console level VR headset that is running much closer to 60hz (with Motion Interpolation) then the 120hz it's advertising, as surely as it's 2D TV console games have been running closer to 30hz then the 60hz it was advertising at the PS4's launch.

jim1174
Protege
"Spaske" wrote:
i expect big things from sony, i mean its sony, they are well known for good screens (at least it was something like that).

Thats what Sony fans said about motion control and then Sony abandoned it. The ps4 has a 720p camera and not a 1080p. Sony will probably abandon psvr too

kojack
MVP
MVP
"grodenglaive" wrote:
On the other hand if Sony released an official SDK for PC, they could sell more HMD's... but would it lower their PS4 sales if they did?

They haven't done that for any other console peripheral, so I doubt they will do it for VR.

"kalec84" wrote:
We also have the "open vr" from razer, but is basically a DK1, i think is unfair to talk about it for now.

OpenVR is Valve/HTC's library for using the Vive without Steam running.
OSVR is Razer's initiative. Their HDK1.3 headset has 6dof head tracking and 1080p oled low persistence screen. It's basically a DK2 (although from what I've heard, not as good in real life). Their software is way behind the Oculus sdk though.
(Hmm, the razer store no longer lists the 150 degree lenses as an optional extra. Are they standard now or cancelled?)
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

They will all survive.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Spaske
Honored Guest
"jim1174" wrote:
"Spaske" wrote:
i expect big things from sony, i mean its sony, they are well known for good screens (at least it was something like that).

Thats what Sony fans said about motion control and then Sony abandoned it. The ps4 has a 720p camera and not a 1080p. Sony will probably abandon psvr too

Idk, im not a sony fanboy, maybe it seemed that way from my post but i am not.
I said they have good screens because that is what i hear from all sides, i mean TVs, ect...
So i guess they will put a good screen in their VR device. I dont think they will abandon it, they got more then enough content for now. But only time will show us that for sure.

@ Sony making vr for pc as well
No way they will do that, it will be only possible from fanbase made external proggs.
Sony wants to hold their closed system. ( i dont like that either... >< )

"grodenglaive" wrote:
"kalec84" wrote:
"Spaske" wrote:

The problem is not them selling less ps4 consoles, its them selling less content on consoles, if they make it for PC then you buy their vr device lets say its 300 bucks (made up price), so you buy that and then you invest in pc games something like 150 bucks (made up again) so its 150 bucks sony loses.
BUT on the other hand, if they would make it more open source, then from selling more devices mabye they would profit more. idk... it can backfire either way for sony.