cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the DK screen compare to?

zhyiou
Level 2
I have a question as a non rift owner: I would like to know with what you can compare the screen of the rift when you are watching a movie/playing a game.

How to give an indication: Compare what you experience with watching a video on youtube on a ~15" screen fullscreen.
Does the rift look like 360p? Or maybe 144p?

Ofcourse I know I would have to buy a DK to really understand, but I am not wealthy enough to buy that, the consumer version and a gaming rig powerfull enough to run it all, so I will have to make do with what I read/hear.

Comments would be greatly appriciated (also, I understand that when watching a 360p video on a screen you don't get the scubagoggles effect)

Greatings,
Stefan
7 REPLIES 7

Welby
Level 5
Oculus rift have 720p resolution but splitted for two eyes. So i think ,if you would to know, that is like to see a video with 360p more or less but to be honest isn't a correct answer for a lot of reason.If you would know if with oculus you can see the same quality of 360p youtube video maybe technically yes but not in real because with oculus you see the screen very close to you with two converge lenses,so the result is VERY different. More than resolution,the best enemy of DK is Screen Door,is the first "bad thing" that you can notice but after some period of time you will be able to get used it.

However i think that an image can explain better than words.

More or less this is the current vision "inside" oculus rift.

I know that a lot of people can worried about bad resolution but i can suggest only a thing: When you are inside the game,you'll not be able to see anything expect the envoinrment and items around you. You'll not notice so much the low resolution or whatever.

XswampyX
Level 2
It's not square either, more like...

It fills your view, and feels/looks quite natural. It also gives the best 3d I have ever seen.

Welby
Level 5
"XswampyX" wrote:
It's not square either, more like...

It fills your view, and feels/looks quite natural. It also gives the best 3d I have ever seen.

Yes i mean without the black edge,but a little "blackedge" there was. Oculus have a little submask effect unfortunately

jmanner
Level 2
The screen door effect doesnt bother me at all, i mean i do notice it from time to time, but mainly it's the motion blur. It;'s more prominent than SD effect, but even the blur isn't too noticeable after a while.

needsloomis
Level 2
Its important to point out how unreadable everything is in that image. That is what struck me most. As close objects move around, your brain will fill in missing data with all the new bits and peices it can glimpse, but the OR's pixels are too large for mental compensation with distant objects.

If we pretend that we are sitting in a parked car, you could tilt your head back and fourth a few times and eventually read that speedometer, but you will never be able to make out that license plate. Ultimately, at the moment, it is a wonderful age simulator! (someone should make a gag eyechart game!)

Doubling the resolution would in theory double the distance you could make out objects, halving the nearsighted effect, although you would need something like 6k resolution before the virtual military would let you become a virtual fighter pilot. =P

XswampyX
Level 2
That's not a bad idea, some sort of doctors room with an eye chart at one end. You can then read off the letters to describe how good/bad the resolution is.

We could then compare it to the DK2 and the retail and even all future rifts.

zhyiou
Level 2
Thank you all for your replies. It gives me a slight idea, and sadly I am still way too excited for it...

Also, based on text readability I would think it is comparable to:

Which is a screenshot of 144p in the big player of youtube, however to get an idea of how it looks in the rift you should get it fullscreen and get your head close as to fill more of your fov.