cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference....

ElusiveMarlin
Rising Star
Apologies if I am being dumb (Queue a tirade of "you are" responses!), but what I don't understand why people keep asking for a "Home" version of a game when a Steam version is available (And visa versa), and whichever version you have, everything works just fine.

I don't see the need to buy a game again from the alternative store when you have the exact same game already?

I'm not a longtime user of steam, and only been using Oculus a year, but I'm just curious as I see a lot of messages asking for a game on another store, when it is already available on an alternate store.

Cheers
RIFT CV1
RIFT S
Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."
29 REPLIES 29

Syrellaris
Rising Star
2 different platforms. Some people don't like steam and some don't like oculus home. You aren't going to say "hey, this game released on Xbox One, so I don't need a ps4 version"  when you own a ps4 and not a xbox one.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I've often wondered this too, maybe it's just which people prefer. I personally buy games on Steam and Oculus Home but I've definitely spent 10x more on Oculus Home because we seem to get more high quality games.

Plus I like how Oculus gives us good discounts and free weekends with games, that's a very good idea.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

ElusiveMarlin
Rising Star
Yeah @SkScotchegg, I am the same. I have 2 games off Steam, and around 20 from Oculus Store!

I don't mind either platform to be honest,
I Just enjoy playing the game!, no matter where it is bought from.
Oculus Sore just feels easier as it is integrated so well.

Sorry, but I'm not sure what point @Syrellaris is trying to make!  Xbox One and PS4 are completely incompatible platforms. I would never think about buying a PS4 game for my Xbox one!
I am talking about buying a game from either vendor for the one platform I am using.
RIFT CV1
RIFT S
Leeds, UK.

kojack
MVP
MVP
The games aren't always exactly the same.

Elite Dangerous is the same regardless of store. Same shared online world.

Some use different sdks. Tilt Brush on Home uses the Oculus SDK. Tilt Brush on Steam uses SteamVR which stacks on top of the Oculus SDK. That's less efficient, having two layers of sdk. Buying on Home increases the chances of getting an Oculus optimised version if you aren't sure which sdk is supported.

Both Steam and Home have different friends lists, achievements, match making, etc. So the store will affect those aspects.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

ElusiveMarlin
Rising Star
Ahhhhh, good points to know there.
Thank you @kojack.

hf1ueej89yzk.jpg
RIFT CV1
RIFT S
Leeds, UK.

Here's one example - haven't played it for a while but this is how i remember it (i'll check this week to update it):

Onward, which i have on Steam - it shows in Oculus Home, so i launch it, takes a short while, gets a certain way in then bombs back to Oculus Home - launch it again, this time it works but takes a long time.

Eventually i realised what was happening - it just takes ages because Steam VR needs to be launched.  Obviously i didn't know what was going on straight away - i thought things weren't working, i thought it was an issue between Steam and Oculus.  

I only want to have to launch one application - in fact, all i need to do is don the Rift for Home to start.  Simpler.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

falken76
Expert Consultant
Some people claim that Steam performs terribly on their system while Oculus home performs optimally on games, but this is 100% not the case for me.  Steam and Oculus games always play exactly the same for me.  Steam has always had a much larger and better selection of VR games as far as I'm concerned.  All the games I play consistently I bought on Steam, some of them are here now, but I bought them on steam ages ago.  I bought Onward on steam about a year or maybe even longer before it showed up on Oculus Home.  One of the real benefits of steam is it is an established buisness, it's also the OG of them all when it comes to this stuff so they've got the user base.  ANY multiplayer game that does not cross between steam and Oculus, you should ALWAYS buy the steam version because you'll actually be able to find others to play with.  One game here that was really cool was Air Mech Command (I think they ruined it when they added their touch support).  I have never, not even one time been able to find another person to play against on Oculus Home, but on Steam I have been able to play against others.  This seems to be the case all the time, if there is a population on both, Steam will ALWAYS have more people to connect with.

Aside from the Multiplayer concerns with no population here and a huge population on steam, I buy from both platforms because I don't care at all about where a game actually loads from or is purchased as long as it works.  I would prefer Star Trek Bridge Crew didn't need to go through Origin or whatever service you have to sign up with for them, I literally never use the services of that company to buy any games, it is only here for Star Trek on my computer, and I don't even play that much at all anymore.

falken76 said:

One game here that was really cool was Air Mech Command (I think they ruined it when they added their touch support).  

Why?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

ElusiveMarlin
Rising Star
Thanks all for comments and making the distinction clear.

I understand, the differences and individual complaints now!

RIFT CV1
RIFT S
Leeds, UK.