cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's going to happen to DK2?

Jestahr
Honored Guest
Hey there,

I picked up a new sealed DK2 cheap as a solution to experience some low-end VR without a huge price tag.

I'm worried however that the DK2 will be rendered useless with oculus home at anytime Oculus/Facebook decide to do so.

Is it the case that when they stop allowing the DK2 to be updated it will then become inoperable and an expensive paperweight? Are there any plans to allow it to run "as-is" with no continued support but functional at least?

Kind regards
17 REPLIES 17

EliteSPA
Superstar

i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

Jestahr said:

Hey there,

I picked up a new sealed DK2 cheap as a solution to experience some low-end VR without a huge price tag.

I'm worried however that the DK2 will be rendered useless with oculus home at anytime Oculus/Facebook decide to do so.

Is it the case that when they stop allowing the DK2 to be updated it will then become inoperable and an expensive paperweight? Are there any plans to allow it to run "as-is" with no continued support but functional at least?

Kind regards

When did you begin to worry - a minute after buying it or before buying?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

vannagirl
Consultant
sadly some research shows up that dk2 is heading to become a museum item and has been sometime, much better to put this moneys toward cv1

although i can understand the wish to experience vr especially if it is going cheap
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

vannagirl said:

sadly some research shows up that dk2 is heading to become a museum item and has been sometime, much better to put this moneys toward cv1

although i can understand the wish to experience vr especially if it is going cheap

Yes but again, it's a false economy because i'm pretty sure a few months down the line he'll be digging deep for a CV1 anyway.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

stonkintime
Explorer
Got a CV1 for 200 GBP on FleaBay 1 month ago... look around for noobs sellers 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would NEVER buy any electronic goods second hand. Too risky!

inovator
Consultant
It will go in the direction of the dinasaurs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

I would NEVER buy any electronic goods second hand. Too risky!

How would you acquire something that's no longer produced then, such as a SNES, N64, or any antiques and classic collectables?  You can't really get those new and sealed anymore for a reasonable enough price to avert the risk of picking up one second hand.