cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the future of PCVR?

MowTin
Expert Trustee
Oculus dropping out is a major blow. Oculus funded many massive titles. Valve is the only other major player right now. 

Personally, I think the PS5 and PSVR 2.0 is the future of high-quality VR. The PS5 has the power to deliver good experiences. And it will have more AAA title support. That could be a gateway to getting more people into PCVR. It can also result in more ports. 

But the PS5 is not PCVR. What do you guys think will be the fate of PCVR? 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2
47 REPLIES 47

nalex66
MVP
MVP

MowTin said:

Oculus dropping out is a major blow. Oculus funded many massive titles. Valve is the only other major player right now. 

Personally, I think the PS5 and PSVR 2.0 is the future of high-quality VR. The PS5 has the power to deliver good experiences. And it will have more AAA title support. That could be a gateway to getting more people into PCVR. It can also result in more ports. 

But the PS5 is not PCVR. What do you guys think will be the fate of PCVR? 

Oculus isn't dropping out of PCVR, they're just not making any more PC-only headsets. When Link is upgraded to take full advantage of Quest 2's capabilities, Quest 2 + Link will be better than Rift S for PCVR. Eventually, I think we'll see an official wireless PCVR solution with Quest 2 and an "Air Link" USB dongle.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think - and hope - it will continue to grow.
Other headsets are still being produced and developed, plus Oculus is still kind of providing for PC-VR with the Link option for Quest. And sounds like they are working on improving Link as well.

I am mainly a flight and racing sim enthusiast so I am not so dependent on the other VR titles. But I do very much enjoy them from time to time.  Loved Half Life Alyx. Still working on a play through of Asgard's Wrath. I know I will be all over Medal of Honor and Star Wars Squadrons when they become available. 
Plus Microsoft's big Flight Sim 2020 will soon have VR support.

And hopefully Oculus will still offer some games more befitting of PC-VR since they have the Link connection.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
@MowTin - yeah I think that this type of stuff is on everyone's mind lately. While Oculus isn't completely abandoning PCVR, there certainly feels like there's a void where the Rift and all its high-end PCVR goodness once resided.

I think that, for now, we have to look towards Microsoft - who just bought out Zenimax.

For me, my VR focus is almost entirely around development. My interest in "gaming" in VR has slowed drastically. I am starting to prefer building over playing. While there are certainly some top notch PCVR titles available, it seems like there's only 1 or 2 "brand new" concepts released per year that can truly captivate me. And the playtimes still hover around "16 hours or less." So... I'm looking at may be 40 hours per year in VR gaming? At least until the software ecosystem becomes at least 50% of what we see with consoles and pancake PC gaming.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:

@MowTin - yeah I think that this type of stuff is on everyone's mind lately. While Oculus isn't completely abandoning PCVR, there certainly feels like there's a void where the Rift and all its high-end PCVR goodness once resided.

I think that, for now, we have to look towards Microsoft - who just bought out Zenimax.

For me, my VR focus is almost entirely around development. My interest in "gaming" in VR has slowed drastically. I am starting to prefer building over playing. While there are certainly some top notch PCVR titles available, it seems like there's only 1 or 2 "brand new" concepts released per year that can truly captivate me. And the playtimes still hover around "16 hours or less." So... I'm looking at may be 40 hours per year in VR gaming? At least until the software ecosystem becomes at least 50% of what we see with consoles and pancake PC gaming.

Are you a developer? If so have you done game development before? 

For me, my staple games are racing / flight / space sims. So, I have more games than I can possibly ever play. 

That's including Skyrim VR, Fallout 4 VR and NMS VR which offer endless play. 

MowTin
Expert Trustee

nalex66 said:

Oculus isn't dropping out of PCVR, they're just not making any more PC-only headsets. When Link is upgraded to take full advantage of Quest 2's capabilities, Quest 2 + Link will be better than Rift S for PCVR. Eventually, I think we'll see an official wireless PCVR solution with Quest 2 and an "Air Link" USB dongle.

But if they're pushing the Quest 2, they're only going to make games for the Quest 2. 

I guess I haven't been paying attention to the capabilities of the Link cable. I heard it would be limited to compressed data and thus would always be inferior to a true PCVR headset. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

MowTin said:
Are you a developer? If so have you done game development before? 

The only completed gaming project I ever published was my Myst Mod for Grimrock. I have plenty of ideas of documented, but my main goal around Enterprise Development. I've been a software dev for some 20 years, and working with to bring VR to the forefront. I'm currently more focused on VR for business processes as opposed to gaming.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I think the future of PCVR is that Oculus will stop providing high-end content, but may provide low-end content much like the Quest ports we're seeing already. I doubt that Oculus will provide games and content that will not work with XR2 and that will require a fast rig. I think the last high-end PCVR content from Oculus - at least for a while - will be Lone Echo 2 and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond.

That may not be a big problem. With SW Squadrons we're seeing a rather big VR release from EA. And Ubisoft may be doing something semi-big too with Agos - of course MS' contribution with FS 2020 should not be underestimated too. 

Maybe we're in the start of transition from Oculus to EA, MS and more to bring high-end PCVR content. Maybe Alyx selling like 50% of Doom Eternal according to SteamSpy is showing that VR gamers have big wallets when the right content is available. 

These are some of the most wanted PCVR titles right now, but I think they forgot Agos and Flight Simulator 2020 😉

https://www.vrgamerankings.com/top-100-most-wanted-pc-vr-games

It does not look bad to me, with my backlog and all those upcoming games PCVR will be strong for at least the next couple of years. I'm not worried at all, but let's continue this conversation in 2023...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

pyroth309
Visionary
Yea, and as mentioned in other places, with the specs on the PS5, I'm actually looking forward to the ports from it now to play on PCVR. I think we will get some solid "pancake games" that add VR to it as well. IE like Green Hell VR that's upcoming.

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

That's been my go to site for years now. Anthony aka VR365, does a pretty good job keeping it updated. I don't always agree with his placement of games but I mostly agree with his top choices overall.