cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's your favorite Rift memory?

Zenbane
Level 16
Having received confirmation from Carmack that Quest is the path forward for both Oculus and Facebook (carrying the VR Torch forward for Quest, GO, and yes, the Rift), I think it's only appropriate to give the Rift a proper send-off!

Share your best, and worst, Rift moments.

My favorite moments
  • Day 1 of receiving it and jumping in to Farlands; which is still one of my favorite VR experiences of all time.
  • The 6+ hour session during Dead & Buried after Touch launched for the first time. That's some of the most "social gaming" fun I've had in years. Rivaled only by LAN parties I used to host in my youth. No only was the combat exciting and thrilling, but the hilarity of the commentary with all the strangers I met online, coupled with the workout my legs received, remains as a vivid memory to this very day. I still remember how my legs were utter jelly when I woke up the next day.
  • The time I was whooping arse in Creed Boxing, and I took a video where I beat down someone who was talking mad smack IRL. The best part is that the audio recorded in "chipmunk" voice without me knowing; which made for a hilarious final product.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GATWgbHEsaQ

Anyone else?
 ๐Ÿ™‚ 
56 REPLIES 56

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
For me it was the first time I looked out of the Cessna cockpit in FSX, I must have been using FlyInside.
I have really poor night vision so only see the brightest stars even on a perfect night.

It's the first time the sky looked real and full or stars. The perspective of seeing it from inside the cockpit made the illusion complete, with the head movement and everything.

VR performance in FSX was hopeless and I've not spent more than 30 mins in it since, but that moment was magical. 

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19042.964)

JohnnyDioxin
Level 11
Rift CV1 actually got me 50 subscribers on YouTube on a channel dedicated to FSX & P3D with FlyInside and promoting the only video app that could record the output to the headset. I also got an offer of sponsorship from a Canadian import/export company. When the next lot of headsets came out, recording was no longer possible and I ended up closing the channel.
I know 50 isn't many - but for someone just doing uploads for a laugh, it weren't that bad.

Shame about how recording in VR was never made easy for us until Quest - and even then not the best to start with. Hopefully that will change as VR advances - but I remember saying that 4 years ago.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

vannagirl
Level 12
DK1 Was riftcoaster, that blew my mind of what VR was, so rough but so good.

DK2 Technolust demo, i felt i really was inside a Philip K. Dick novel in that room.

CV1 Too many but Dreamdeck for wow, Lone Echo for a much bigger WOW and Arizona Sunshine for making my ptsd addled brain think i was actually inside The Walking Dead. I managed to fall over the back of my sofa, flip upside down running away from a zombie for a min.
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Luciferous
Level 12

• Skyrim VR, Lone Echo, Elite Dangerous Plus many more incredible experiences. 
  • Early days of DK1 Titans of Space - The scale was incredible, that room with the blocks floating by the window, flying in an open spaceship on a distant planet while meteors crashed all around. Teddy's Razer hydra demos.
  • Waiting for the sunrise in California and the DK2 launch, the forum was buzzing.
  • Discovering Palmer was potentially using the forum under a nom de plume (Allegedly)
  • Ernest Cline visiting the Oculus offices.
  • The absolute joy of using the Touch controllers for the first time, genius design.
  • Seeing the amazement on people faces when demoing VR in the early days and nobody had a clue the technology was out there.

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

• Discovering Palmer was potentially using the forum under a nom de plume (Allegedly)

Well, he also uses the forum under his real name. He's been a member since feb 2013 and logged in last week. ๐Ÿ™‚
Although he hasn't posted since 2014.
But he could certainly also have another account.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Zenbane
Level 16

kojack said:

Well, he also uses the forum under his real name. He's been a member since feb 2013 and logged in last week. ๐Ÿ™‚

I think Palmer just likes to lurk. Both Palmer and Cyber are in the OC7 Discord but they don't actively contribute (from what I've seen).

hoppingbunny123
Level 8
the robot in the trailer demo when you first set up.

Luciferous
Level 12

kojack said:

That is brilliant, nice to know he still checks in. Mr Luckey come in and take a bow sir.

snowdog
Level 16
I had you all fooled for so long. And now my secret is out!!! ๐Ÿ˜„

If you take the letters in my username, switch them around, take some letters out and put some other letters in you end up with the name Palmer Luckey.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Luciferous
Level 12
and add 3 billion pounds?