cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What say you to this?

falken76
Level 13
"This is something we definitely think about," Oculus co-founder Nate Mitchell tells GamesIndustry.biz.
"We actually think we have a great setup with Rift S and Quest. Rift S
is going to be replacing Rift entirely. We're in the process of phasing
out Rift, we're going to replace it, and then you actually have a really
simple, straightforward landscape for consumers."

Was this precisely why Iribe left?

I thought the consensus around here is that this would certainly not happen....

But is this their Vive Pro and Rift 2 is down the road?  Or is Rift 2 cancelled and this is it?

I'm glad I bought most of my stuff on Steam...  I'm going to check out the new HMD that has the 2160x2160 per eye res.

15 REPLIES 15

Techy111
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I really believe a lot of us here will be going the HP route mate.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

falken76
Level 13
Yeah, well this just means that I will not purchase another product on the Oculus Store, it's all 100% steam from hear on out.  I'll stick with an open platform as opposed to this closed one that locks me in when they pull something like this that makes me want to go with the competition when I upgrade.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah as mainly a flight simmer Rift S seems too little too late.

kevinw729
Level 15
So its a choice of five platforms* (not including the Valve announcement)

vrsv572wqdi2.png

falken76 said:

"This is something we definitely think about," Oculus co-founder Nate Mitchell tells GamesIndustry.biz.
"We actually think we have a great setup with Rift S and Quest. Rift S
is going to be replacing Rift entirely. We're in the process of phasing
out Rift, we're going to replace it
, and then you actually have a really
simple, straightforward landscape for consumers."

I thought the consensus around here is that this would certainly not happen....

But is this their Vive Pro and Rift 2 is down the road?  Or is Rift 2 cancelled and this is it?

I'm glad I bought most of my stuff on Steam...  I'm going to check out the new HMD that has the 2160x2160 per eye res.

Yes your right - but I think after this announcement many are "considering their position"!

And I get the feeling there is one more shoe to drop! 

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Sneakygloworm
Level 5
I would like to think a CV2 is in the works but most people's wallets simply aren't prepared for it yet. I'm not gonna spend 2 grand on a new cpu, gpu and motherboard at this point when CV1 was already a difficult sell. I think they've made a good move here, adding R+D breathing room for future software and hardware.

Hiro_Protag0nist
Level 13

Techy111 said:

I really believe a lot of us here will be going the HP route mate.

I need to be able to play all of my Rift games though.

Hiro_Protag0nist
Level 13

falken76 said:

Was this precisely why Iribe left?

Definitely.

No, there will be a Rift 2 down the road.  Like he said, an update was overdue - this is an update, nothing more.

CrashFu
Level 12
I really don't see what all the fuss is about.  "Phasing out the Rift" doesn't mean yours will be bricked; you'll still be able to run Oculus Home and any current and future Rift games on the normal Rift... you just COULD be doing it at higher resolution and with a better tracking system and more quality-of-life features.   This is distinctly different from when the DK1 was phased out... although all the complaining and threats of ship-jumping sure does remind me of that.

Look at the big picture here, there's just no way Oculus could continue manufacturing and selling the original Rift alongside the new, improved model. To justify that they'd have to slash the price further, until they were selling it at a loss; phasing it out and making the Rift-S the new baseline model is the only thing that makes sense, and it ensures that people just getting into VR will have the best possible experience.

I'm sure there will be a more expensive "Rift 2" model some day, but y'all got your "Vive Pro" analogies backwards;  The Rift-S is to the Rift what the CV1 was to the DK1, and the next PC headset Oculus releases will be the Vive Pro of the Rift-S.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

RedRizla
Level 15
Delete.