cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What sensors does Rift have and what can they do?

AnsisMalins
Explorer
There are no specs in the FAQ (wtf?), and I can't find a straight answer elsewhere on the Internet. Like, it used to use one sensor, but then some Apple dude joined the team to make a better sensor.

What sensors would the dev kit have if I ordered it today?

Would the available hardware and the API allow me to have limited positional tracking? For example, detect when the user leans forward briefly and adjust the viewport accordingly.
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
It has 3 axis gyro, an accelerometer and a magnetometer AFAIK 🙂 I could be wrong though...

cybereality
Grand Champion
The current developer kit can only detect orientation (rotation).

We have positional tracking planned for the consumer version.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Fredz
Explorer
"ansismalins" wrote:
and I can't find a straight answer elsewhere on the Internet. Like, it used to use one sensor, but then some Apple dude joined the team to make a better sensor.

The prototype before the development kit used a Hillcrest FSRK-USB-2 6-axis tracker (gyroscope, accelerometer but no magnetometer) with a modified firmware to support a 250Hz update rate (125Hz by default). It can provide 3dof rotational tracking without yaw drift correction.

The development kit uses a custom 9-axis tracker (gyroscope, accelerometer and magnetometer) with a 1000Hz update rate and 2ms latency based on the Adjacent Reality Tracker. It can provide 3dof rotational tracking with yaw drift correction.

geekmaster
Protege
"Cyph3r" wrote:
It has 3 axis gyro, an accelerometer and a magnetometer AFAIK 🙂 I could be wrong though...

The Rift DK also has a temperature sensor. Advanced calibration methods can take sensor temperature into account, rather than just assuming the components are being used at the "ideal" (precalibrated) temperature.

AnsisMalins
Explorer
"Cyph3r" wrote:
Isn't that enough to detect position?

Is the raw output from sensors exposed by the API?

kalorvoe
Honored Guest
Slightly off topic, but am I the only one that hears the title of this thread in Arnold Schwarzeneggar's voice ("Who is your daddy, and what does he do")?

No? Just me? :oops:
Location: Sydney OR Status: 19th Oct: Ordered 19th Nov: Advancing to Processing within 24 hours 20th Nov: Processing 22nd Nov: UNEXPECTED PACKAGE! 22nd Nov: "BTW, we shipped it" email. :) My Status: Nervous Rift virgin.

Vin
Explorer
"ansismalins" wrote:
"Cyph3r" wrote:

Raw output is available, but the synthesized data is great. The sensors provided are not enough to do positioning. They're great for orientation with drift correction, but there are not enough for position.

Fredz
Explorer
"ansismalins" wrote:
You can integrate the values read from the accelerometer twice to get the velocity and then the position, but it will drift exponentially over time because of the integration errors.

But under specific constraints you can get acceptable position tracking, for gait tracking for example :
http://www.x-io.co.uk/gait-tracking-with-x-imu/

"ansismalins" wrote:
It's been added in the 0.2.5 version of the SDK for Unity :
- Added GetAcceleration, GetAngularVelocity and GetMagnetometer methods to OVRDevice used for reading raw sensor values.

It was available in the C++ SDK already but I don't know in which version. It's been used in V^Bert at the VR Jam for jump detection for example.