cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What stores do you think will be selling a consumer RIFT?

TheArcheaon
Honored Guest
I'm really curious on this.
NOTE : Online STORES DON'T COUNT!

Here's my guess
- GameStop
- Best Buy
- Microcenter
- Radioshack (2 - 3 per store :lol:)

Stores that won't have it
- Walmart :twisted:
VR Pilot!
21 REPLIES 21

Morpheox
Honored Guest
None.

Sparky83
Honored Guest
Resellers just make it more expensive. Why should Oculus VR want to do this, when selling it online works fine?
But I agree that it would be a nice thing to see it in stores.
Previously owner of DK1, finally owner of DK2.

saviornt
Protege
"Sparky83" wrote:
Resellers just make it more expensive. Why should Oculus VR want to do this, when selling it online works fine?
But I agree that it would be a nice thing to see it in stores.

That's precisely why they will need to sell it in stores. With an XBox1, PS4, TV's, Computers, etc.. you pretty much know what you're buying. If you want to see it, then alot of people will go into a store, see a demo of it, then buy it online. Since this is a brand new medium for entertainment, people will want to know what they are buying.. you can't very well see how powerful the Rift is unless you actually use it.
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

obzen
Expert Protege
Not sure I'd want to stick my face in a showroom sample.

Although people don't seemed too phased doing that all day during exhibitions.
DK1 FREAK...

fudspong
Explorer
Someone should start a business at exhibitions and demo sites selling wet-wipes and repurposed disposable toilet seat covers 🙂

Qix
Explorer
I wouldn't be surprised seeing them at Walmart and Target in the next couple of years. Who knows you may even see a dedicated Steam machine store which sell the rift.

RiftXdev
Explorer
Amazon and eBay
DK1 | DK2
"The question isn't who is going to let me but rather who is going to stop me"

KydDynoMyte
Honored Guest
I think Brookstone is the only physical store around here I have seen any type of HMD. The only other store around here I could maybe see it in would be Tiger Direct.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
@TheArcheaon - we discussed a similar topic some time back https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6396

There was the argument that OVR has focused on online sales, while I agreed with the sentiment that most of the public will need to "try it before they buy it!"

The news of Sony closing nearly all of their retail store business seemed ominous - especially as they had pushed their HMZ though retail demonstration:

I just wonder how a Oculus Rift CV1 fits into an environment like this?

What demo dose the guy at BestBuy run... what PC does he show it on? How can they even support returns and tech questions??
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959