cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When/will Oculus Home ever be open to other VR hardware users?

Chazmeister
Level 8
As some one who owns a Rift but has a friend that owns a Vive, I have often thought that it is a shame that Oculus has not fully opened up their Home software and store to support the other major VR hardware, such as the Vive and WinVR.

This came up again the other day when I responded to a comment on a website about an article for the new Insomniac game "Stormlands". The person making the comment was a Rift and Vive owner and was bemoaning Oculus's "exclusives" for not putting them on other platforms and how he wouldn't buy them until they change that situation.

I replied by saying, well why should Oculus put a game they've funded on Steam and give Valve a 30% cut of their sales? It's entirely reasonable that Oculus wouldn't want to do that. However I did also add that it would be much better if Oculus opened up the Home software with official support for other VR hardware. This way Oculus funded games like Stormlands wouldn't be considered "exclusives" and generate all this negativity. To his credit the guy replied that he hadn't thought of it that way before and that I had a good point. How often does that happen? I was pleasantly surprised I can tell you right now! It's not all bad on the internet after all.

Anyway I personally would love to see Oculus Home open up the gates to other VR hardware. I think Oculus Home is great, it's way nicer than Steam VR and the Oculus 1st party games so to speak are pretty much the best out for VR. It seems a shame then that I can't share these experiences with my mate who owns a Vive. I'd love to be able to play "From Other Suns" with him or something similar. Yes, it would mean that support for the other HMD's would have to be put into the Oculus titles, but I don't see how that would in anyway diminish the Rift experience. Many of the other 3rd party games on the Oculus store already also reside over on the Steam store as well, and provide compatibility for both HMD's and in some cases Win VR too.

I do realise that there is ReVive that provides a compatibility of sorts for Vive users, but in essence it's still a 3rd party hack and doesn't offer the sort of stability and peace of mind security that proper official support would do for folks, especially when they're considering spending their hard earned cash. Not only that but I think providing proper official support for other HMD hardware users would be a big positive PR boost for Oculus and should put to bed all the anti Oculus exclusivity rants and the general negativity surrounding them. I don't think people would have a problem with Oculus games only being sold on the Oculus store if owners of other VR hardware had access to them. And let's face it, it can only be good for consumers of VR and the VR scene as a whole. If the, presumably one man band, creator of ReVive can provide Vive support of sorts, then why can't Oculus? It's been 2 years now, isn't it time they finally opened the gates?

21 REPLIES 21

Digikid1
Level 12
ROFLMAO!!!!!  How about.....NEVER!!!!

Hiro_Protag0nist
Level 13
Not letting your mates buy a Vive - that's true friendship.

snowdog
Level 16

Digikid1 said:

ROFLMAO!!!!!  How about.....NEVER!!!!

How about either later this year or next year when OpenXR is finalised? ::wink:
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Zenbane
Level 16
When those other Hardware products start having problems/issues with the Oculus software suite, then Oculus would be obligated to solve all that mess. That would increase their current workload by 2-3 times the current amount. Not the best idea at this stage.

Maybe later, but not now.

That being said, here is my official answer: When Nintendo games run on PlayStation, and Playstation games run on XBox.

LZoltowski
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
To some of the replies above, if we could be a little bit more welcoming of others opinions, I would appreciate it.

Also as @Zenbane said when PS4 Exclusives run on XBOX
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Digikid1
Level 12

To some of the replies above, if we could be a little bit more welcoming of others opinions, I would appreciate it.

Also as @Zenbane said when PS4 Exclusives run on XBOX

So I’m blunt but I always am bluntly truthful.  That’ll never change.

Chazmeister
Level 8
A sadly not entirely unexpected set of answers but there you go....

Zenbane said:

When those other Hardware products start having problems/issues with the Oculus software suite, then Oculus would be obligated to solve all that mess. That would increase their current workload by 2-3 times the current amount. Not the best idea at this stage.

Well yes there is that of course, but you would hope that the extra foot fall and income would make up for it. Given the slower than expected start to VR, you would think that the extra sales could only benefit Oculus and the VR industry as a whole with more titles being available across the various VR hardware.

Zenbane said:

That being said, here is my official answer: When Nintendo games run on PlayStation, and Playstation games run on XBox. 

And we have games and a VR market place primarily developed for the Vive now running on the Rift but.....

LZoltowski
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

And we have games and a VR market place primarily developed for the Vive now running on the Rift but.....

That is not altogether true in my opinion.

• Steam is an existing platform, been around long before VR
  • HTC used Valve technology to make the headset, of course, it will be on Steam
  • Valve wants to make as much cash as they can selling games, they don't care about who's hardware they support, they are a platform agnostic games platform, they are not selling hardware.

Oculus like Sony and Microsoft rely on exclusivity to drive sales, they have all their chickens in that basket, that is why it's a closed system. (like Google, like Apple etc)

HTC has their own store "Viveport" and they have been trying to push this, even more recently, but sadly they don't seem to be getting any great content.

I wonder if HTC gets a cut if a game is sold on Steam. Oculus gets 30% for every game sale, how much is Valve giving HTC for every VR game sold on their store?

Just my 2 cents.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
Level 16

A sadly not entirely unexpected set of answers but there you go....

The people you are asking are just consumers, like yourself. If you want a real answer then maybe go to reddit and comment on a post by Jason Rubin, or send Oculus a direct Tweet. If you want to ask end-users a question, then what are you expecting, exactly?

you would hope that the extra
foot fall and income would make up for it. Given the slower than
expected start to VR, you would think that the extra sales could only
benefit Oculus and the VR industry as a whole with more titles being
available across the various VR hardware.

You are making wild guesses as to how many resources it would take Oculus to support multiple pieces of Hardware, compared to how much revenue they would make. Besides, Oculus already makes money on software sales to Vive users thanks to the Revive product. And Oculus doesn't have to spend much money making updates to support the Vive, since Revive handles it on its own.

Do you really think that Oculus would make "that much more" money by spending resources to do what Revive already accomplishes?

As for the other competitors, like Windows MR users, just look at the SteamVR stats. It's incredibly low:

WMR is at 6% on SteamVR; minuscule! Do you really think there's a profit to be made there for Oculus?

Revive is the marketplace that lets Vive users play Rift games. WMR isn't enough of a blip on the radar to make a difference. The math simply isn't on your side here.

That's why I said... maybe someday. But doing it now is a terrible idea from a business standpoint.