cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which HMD looks visually better to you?

Anonymous
Not applicable
For anyone that has had the opportunity to use both the quest and rift S, which did you prefer purely on visual merit? is the rift S a noticeable downgrade based on it's resolution and panel type?

I currently have a quest, but am also considering purchasing a rift S for PCVR. I know I can use virtual desktop with my quest and I do. However, there are little things that irk me about the experience that are just inherent to streaming wirelessly from pc to headset. For example tracking issues and micro stutter drive me mad when using virtual desktop and steamVR. There is also the issue of the quest being front heavy which makes playing PCVR titles for long periods of time less than desirable.

EDIT: Thought I should add that I use the lowest IPD setting of 59 on the quest. Is this going to be an issue for the rift S?
13 REPLIES 13

kojack
MVP
MVP
The Rift-S has worse black levels.
Besides that, the Rift-S beats the Quest for visual quality. It has less screen door.
While the Quest sounds on paper like it's higher res than the Rift-S, it's a pentile screen which means it's red and blue resolution is half it's green resolution. So the Rift-S is higher res at red and blue, while the Quest is higher res at green.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

Besides that, the Rift-S beats the Quest for visual quality. It has less screen door.
While the Quest sounds on paper like it's higher res than the Rift-S, it's a pentile screen which means it's red and blue resolution is half it's green resolution. So the Rift-S is higher res at red and blue, while the Quest is higher res at green.

Thank you for your input. I appreciate the concise and informative answer. Helps a lot!

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

I have both and would agree with this sentiment as well.

Litespeed
Heroic Explorer
How do both headsets compare in regard to sound?

kojack
MVP
MVP

Litespeed said:

How do both headsets compare in regard to sound?

I haven't really noticed any difference for audio, they both suck compared to my CV1. If I'm playing a game where audio has a strong focus (like Audica, Pistol Whip, etc) it's CV1 all the way.

I guess you could say though that the Quest is better for adding external headphones. Both have headphone sockets, but the Rift-S headband is so thick none of my headphones fit over it. But the Quest headband is thin, I can easily wear my sennheiser px-200's. The Rift-S would be fine with earbuds, but I absolutely hate those.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
On either device, you will likely want to use different sound either with a headset or earbuds.
I use earbuds in both my Rift S and Quest, and sound is quite good in them.
That audio strap included just is not that good to me. Thankfully they both have headphone jacks.

Anonymous
Not applicable
This topic is about the HMD panels and how they compare. Please keep on topic.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Before you spend money on a Rift S, you might consider trying Oculus Link instead of Virtual Desktop. That should eliminate your wireless streaming issues, and a USB 3 cable is a lot cheaper than a new headset. The visual difference between Rift S and Link is very minor.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable

nalex66 said:

Before you spend money on a Rift S, you might consider trying Oculus Link instead of Virtual Desktop. That should eliminate your wireless streaming issues, and a USB 3 cable is a lot cheaper than a new headset. The visual difference between Rift S and Link is very minor.

I appreciate the advice and I do use oculus link now and again, but the front heavy aspect of the quest is quite a big deal for me. My forehead feels like it is burning after about 30 minutes of using it. I suspect that also has something to do with the material that the face cover is made from. I do plan on getting various VR cover accessories to see if i can alleviate the physical issues with the quest though.