cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which do I upgrade?

vinney2961
Level 2
Hi. I have the Oculus Rift headset and I’m wondering whether I should upgrade to the Rift S or upgrade my graphics card in order to improve my vr experience? My pc is i7 5960X with 64gb ram and nvidia gtx 980 TI graphics card. Current games I’m enjoying are Virtual Battlegrounds VR, Gun Club VR, The Solus Project. I’ve used HTC headsets before but since I got the Oculus Rift I was pleasantly surprised on the improvement in visuals. I cannot afford to upgrade both the headset and the graphics card at the moment, but which will give me a noticeable difference first?
Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

wuzp
Level 8

I cannot afford to upgrade both the headset and the graphics card at the moment, but which will give me a noticeable difference first?

Upgrade the graphics card:
  • If you upgrade the headset, you run the risk of finding out in 5 months at OC7, the Rift S is being depreciated; by a newer headset.
  • If you upgrade the graphics card, you add value to the PC, no matter what happens in 5 months.

vinney2961
Level 2
Hi, thanks for that. But I believe there will always be something better “ just around the corner” as there always is with technology. But I am more looking for an improvement now with games I already enjoy. Will the Rift S be a noticeable upgrade, or if I get a better graphics card, will that be noticeable? I’m sorry if my original question wasn’t specific enough but the biggest thing for me is the visuals.