Which gtx 1080 will be better for vr

reddeath360
Level 5
evga gtx 1080 ftw
or
Gigabyte Video Card GV-N1080XTREM
or
founders edition
the gigabyte seems to have added ports for vr already is that just a not needed setup does it offer added power for vr?
9 REPLIES 9

cybereality
Level 16
Most all the 1080 cards are basically the same, aside from some slight factory overclock that may or may not make a huge difference. I also wouldn't buy a card just for that VR front panel thing, as I've heard stories of Rift not working well on them (better to connect directly).
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

reddeath360
Level 5
ill just wait for a 1080 ti then

elboffor
Level 12
3VGA FTW
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Ernimus_Prime
Level 7
I love my Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1.   
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI), Ryzen 7 3700x, 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3600 MHZ. SSD XPG 8200 pro 1 TB. WD Black 4 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1, Acer Predator XG270HU 1440p@144 hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. Corsair rm750x PSU. Rift S.

RonsonPL
Level 7
I would hold off for a while.
You are buying close to the worst possible time, actually.

The problem is I cannot tell you how much it will take until huge price drop happens and it might be 4 months just as well as 14 months.
Many things might happen:
- artificially high prices of fast cards might suddenly come to an end. Possibly if AMD achieved a miracle and actually improved Polaris architecture or improved/changed something in production process (seems like AMD doesn't really commit to any of the foundries (GloFo and TSMC) right now. Lots can change.
- availibility of new card from Nvidia, 1080ti, might make 1080 prices drop a lot.
- GDDR5X might be starting to be cheap and available in bigger quantities, and that can lead to quick refreshes of 2016 GPUs, just months from now

or... nothing will happen before 2018 and even significant part of 2018. Noone knows. Logic fails in predicting this nowadays. A few years ago, and for many years, it was predictable, more or less. Now it's "everything can happen", because neither AMD or Nvidia really care about PC gaming and the battle for people who want to buy a fast card. In the end it is very important when AMD or Nvidia realize that way more people are interested in gaming on fast PCs than they estimated. GTX1070 shouldn't be called Titan Pascal and 1080 is not a chip (and GDDR5X is not Rambus memory) that mandates the high-end price of 1080.
AMD GPU isn't a chip optimized for high-performance gaming either. It could be way better if it was not such focused on (excellent) compute performance which is not that important in gaming, especially VR gaming.
Things can change and the change might be sudden. But it's already over a year of delay compared to what world hoped for. So I can only advise you to reconsider the plans of buying GTX1080 now, but the guessing part is what you'll have to do on your own.
All I can say for sure is that there's no way for this abnormal state to continue till the middle of 2018.

If you didn't see me going on about this in the past:
It won't continue past 1H of 2018, because GDDR6 and cheap version of HBM2 will be released by then.
Scorpio will be released (and PS4pro price adjusted, wchich will likely happen after Scorpio release, and PS4pro will increase the expectations people will have while looking for a PC graphics card to buy. Nvidia and AMD simply won't be able to sell 
192 GB/s cards (1060) for a price reserved for decades for cards that are actually fast and not 3x slower than the fastest available.
There are many factors that may add to the avalanche of gaming PC market re-shaping. Even the chance for PC gaming becoming more relevant when both consoles got old and the exclusive war between Sony and MS might lessen up, allowing for less titles to be "console only". Personally I think PS4pro is better for gamers than staying 7 years on that ultra-low-end XB1/PS4 consoles, but many gamers have different point of view and they might choose PC instead of console since the rule "I'd choose a console since I don't want to pay for upgrading my PC 2-3 years from now" won't be true for them any longer.
Soon it will be first AMD CPU since many years, that is actually OK for gaming, Intel already is reacting by hugely improving the performance of its cheapest offerings (Pentiums gets HT,), if monitors finally loose the the novelty of being curved which is used an as excuse to drive monitor prices sky high, if the high-end gets saturated by HBM2 and low-cost HBM2, and GDDR5X/6 becomes really cheap, at some point some "breakthrough" might happen.

Asus got surprised by how many people wanted it's first 1440p 120Hz G-sync/ULMB monitor.
Nvidia got surprised by how many people bought GTX 970 and 980Ti.
When many factors get combined, interest in decent/fast PC gaming parts might be many, many times bigger than analysts working for Nvidia and AMD say now.

A few months from now is a very, very optimistic scenario for the start of this "avalanche" but not 100% impossible. Buy your 1080 and be happy with it if the money spent won't cause you a serious stress if you end up in July when you'd get Titan Pascal X performance for the same price (or even better) you payed for 1080p  just a few months earlier. If it won't make you mad - go ahead. 🙂

Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore. Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash. Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.

n3cr0-0
Level 5

RonsonPL said:

A few months from now is a very, very optimistic scenario for the start of this "avalanche" but not 100% impossible. Buy your 1080 and be happy with it if the money spent won't cause you a serious stress if you end up in July when you'd get Titan Pascal X performance for the same price (or even better) you payed for 1080p  just a few months earlier. If it won't make you mad - go ahead. 🙂

You can always hold out for bigger and badder at a cheaper price, but if you keep waiting for that, then you will always be waiting as there is always something around the corner. Hey I won't argue with your logic but who knows when a 1080 ti will come out. I was told we would already have launch dates by now and _____  I've heard nothing.....

RonsonPL
Level 7
n3cr0-0
What you say isn't true recently (a few last years). Back in the days, we had stable progress, 1-1.5year meant much better hardware. Nowadays it might be 2-3 years of absolutely nothing happening.
We are on a verge of drasti changes, finally. I don't consider artificially adding another shelf of products (Titans for 1200$) a change. It doesn't matter for 99,9% of the gamers. For people who were targetting 8800gt or gtx260, release of gtx960 doesn't matter either. This shelf used to have close to max chip dimensions and close to max memory bus, and now cards for 600$ have just 256bit, whereas gtx260 had 448bit, which shows the real cost of production. So GTX1070 is called Titan X now, GTX 1060 and 1060Ti are called 1070 and 1080, and what should be an "office PC card" is called 1060 and costs more than 8800GT at launch.
Things slowed down way too much, and Nvidia used that to stagnate things even further, because now instead of replacing old gen with new gen at the same price, we are getting new gen but at new, worse  pricing.
AMD cannot keep up.
This is how things look now, and IF Polaris was a disappointment because of something that was fixable within less than a year, we might have enough factors here to witness the return of normality.
Prices are overblown by a lot, so it won't take much to start a much needed price war. I really hope AMD returned to TSMC, cause low-power oriented Samsung's process hurt AMD cards by a lot. I agree that in 2016, we finally had new architectures, but it didn't have a huge impact on the market. It can be a different story now, if AMD finally has something good to compete with 1080 and 1080ti starts to be available. And if AMD notices the chance of increased attention from gamers thanx to new CPU and CPU price war, they might push their fast  GPUs even more. Or not. I can only guess.

And 1080Ti release date doesn't look delayed yet. It was similar with previous moves from Nvidia ("let's take a xx80 chip, call it Titan, and not release it as xx80 chip for over half of a year to milk those richest gamers").
Don't expect launch dates officially announced way ahead of the release either. Nvidia knows such announcement would practically stop sales of Titan X Pascal.

In my opionion there isn't enough content (or the content is not good enough) to justify buying 1080. So if 1080 is a waste if buying only for VR, personally (but I might be biased cause for me 1080 costs like 5000$, while someone else might need just a few days of work to buy it) I would hold off. I really don't think 1080Ti is further away than 1-4 months, and improved AMD GPUs are a big question mark. They might release in July and like those T-shirts with X-Files motives say - "I want to believe!" (that it really will be a big improvement, not just +15% over Polaris cards and still no reasonably priced competitor for 1070-1080. There is a chance. Tiny but it is there. Might happen. This would mean summer 2017 is the date to wait for.).
Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore. Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash. Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.

n3cr0-0
Level 5
Sure just sounds like a bunch of hear say. Hell I'm still sporting a 4790k because I cannot justify the price of the upgrade, considering VR doesn't tax my chip above 40%.

Looking at my past graphics cards (970 & 1080) the 970 can still push a lot of titles for an awesome experience. In dead and buried I cannot tell the difference between both cards. If your card is around a 970 I would say you arent missing out on much. Arizona sunshine I noticed a difference but really could have been happy with the 970. (to give some insight of my experience with the upgrade and to justify waiting till the summer)

Looove my 1080 I won't regret buying it either regardless of what the future may holds because I am the type to not hesitate and don't regret much.

Of course my input is nothing but purely subjective. That being said without anything set in stone the future is nothing but speculation and regardless of this and that I can always daydream about hardware (pretty much what your doing anyways while you're waiting) :smile:

Can you wait till the summer to see what may come out and know you may just buy the 1080 anyways and missing out on 4 months of game play?  Then I say yes wait the 4 months.

(All I am saying is my line of thinking differs in the end its the person that holds the wallet that will be the loudest vote)

dburne
Level 16
I have been very pleased with my EVGA GTX 1080 FTW.
Rift CV1| Rift S| Quest| Reverb G2| Index| Vive Pro 2