cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who else is close ...

pewzie
Honored Guest
but cant just complete the buying process?

I feel so close and yet so far. I have a family and while £185 is totally doable, almost everything I purchase I do so with a " Could this be spent better elsewhere " kind of feeling, Im sure most with families know what I mean.

I just dont want to spend this kind of money only to put it on and be disappointed or worse not be able to use it because of motion sickness.

Im just torn, as I read so many good things, but then someone posts something that totally puts me off. Have been gaming for 30 years since the days of the spectrum and this has always been the holy grail for me, actually being in the game.

I would just be happy sat by a lake in Skyrim listening to the water rushing past. 🙂

Wanting to, but struggling to take the plunge.
62 REPLIES 62

Someguitarist
Explorer
It could be worth it, but it sounds to me that you're going to want to wait for the consumer version. This is far from perfect and mostly for developers (and enthusiasts!) but if you're on the fence then the answer is wait.

I've been messing around with it for a while now, and if your goal here is to get Skyrim to work, I think you're going to be a little disappointed. Tinkering with any injection drivers always makes me immediately sick, and the best I can get is still not really playable. That's just my experience though, but it serves to drive home the point that this isn't plug and play, especially with older titles.

Now, some of the user-made content around here? A-mazing.

Roaster
Rising Star
If money is an issue, just wait for the CV1 at least. Dev kit is ok but it leaves you wanting more.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

pewzie
Honored Guest
Money isnt an issue as such, but in this instance its difficult without using one to imagine if it will capture your individual expectations and yes that has to be balanced against the cost. If it was £20 we would all have one and throw it in the bin if it wasnt what we thought. I can only imagine the cost is a large factor in everyones decision.

I thought people had Skyrim working ok as they had many other games working ok with TRIDEF?

gwickstead
Honored Guest
You should wait.

The low resolution and lower quality screen mean this is only a toy for non devs.

If you buy the DK1 today, you still have to buy the Consumer Version.
The DK1 will not be acceptable next year.

You should wait.

StCecil
Honored Guest
a) depends on how good of a "waiter" you are, another 10-12 months for the consumer? loooong wait there ...( I'm a bad waiter, thought I was good, on day 25 of the wait and counting! it's getting bad)

b) depends on how much the money is to you ( to me, it's a decent amount but not a bank breaker)

c) depends on how curious you are (I'm VERY curious so ya ... ordered)

and anyone who ordered and suggests waiting is moot, their curiosity will be satisfied soon ( or they have it ) cause that's mainly what it's about, at this point, and 80-90% of the feedback is very positive on the current device from many sources across the web

put that all together and make your choice.
Ordered : November 2nd 2013 (November 3rd on my time) Receieved Processing mail : November 25th 2013 (November 26th on my time) Arrived : December 3rd 2013 Status : Enjoying it. Location : 東京 (Tokyo)

PVS1
Explorer
screw the advice to wait. get it. steal the money if you have to. cook meth. 😛

Frito
Explorer
if you are on the fence about it wait till CV, its a great device but it is a prototype.
Backer "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey

FALSE
Honored Guest
I disagree with most in this thread.
I was in the same boat as the OP.
$300 is doable but it is still a good bundle of money to me and my family.

I pulled the trigger, bought a rift a month and a half ago, and received it almost a week ago.
I have NO regrets whatsoever. Ill probably skip dev kit 2 but Ill be one of the first to buy the consumer version also.

So OP, as long as you understand that the resolution is pretty bad.... buy it, like now.
Unless you wont be able to afford the consumer version when it comes out because after trying the dev kit, you will definately want the consumer version.

StCecil
Honored Guest
"FALSe" wrote:
I disagree with most in this thread.
I was in the same boat as the OP.
$300 is doable but it is still a good bundle of money to me and my family.

I pulled the trigger, bought a rift a month and a half ago, and received it almost a week ago.
I have NO regrets whatsoever. Ill probably skip dev kit 2 but Ill be one of the first to buy the consumer version also.

So OP, as long as you understand that the resolution is pretty bad.... buy it, like now.
Unless you wont be able to afford the consumer version when it comes out because after trying the dev kit, you will definately want the consumer version.

we have a happy camper here.

i just moved into processing and I've only been excited like this a few times (Skyrim, Star Wars Episode 1 ... ya we know how that worked out, just saying)

READY to PROCESSING = GREAT mood! :lol:

ya, i gotta retract my think about it to ORDER now so you can maybe still get in the Dec. shipping!
Ordered : November 2nd 2013 (November 3rd on my time) Receieved Processing mail : November 25th 2013 (November 26th on my time) Arrived : December 3rd 2013 Status : Enjoying it. Location : 東京 (Tokyo)