cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whos doing Galaxy S4 eDP hack?

Cgpnz
Honored Guest
Well I have finally ordered a S4 replacement screen and a few test cables (has the connector/cable).

www.etradesupply.com

it was usd 230, at least twice the expected price, but thats secondary parts market for you.
I will get a display port splitter (one that does stream split and not just mirroring.): first
for the two eyes and second hopefully for some electronic shorting separation from an expensive
display port source.

My main reason for the topic is to ask if anyone else has done this and what problems were encountered.

I have worn out my google eyes looking for eDP hacks: there is but one lonely 10" iPad retina example.

Surely the awesomeness of this endeavor would cause more hackster outcomes.
46 REPLIES 46

Inscothen
Explorer
I'm hoping it's eDP too but MIPI does 1080p on Sharp 5" and LG 5.5" panels, why wouldn't it work for the Samsung?

Cgpnz
Honored Guest
Hmm, that link where the non-mention of the interface type says something.
Perhaps a Samsung exec is a mipi alliance proponent, and hence doesn't want their flagship product doing negative promotion? Wishy wishy wishy! Perhaps the mipi alliance at s4 design time had not yet come up with sufficient data speed, hence they tried eDP.

KBK
Protege
There are now about 3-4-5 new panels of the correct type and size emerging into the marketplace. they can be bought int he form of a phablet, right now.

when I say correct size, I mean 1080p, approximately 6.5" diagonal.

So the smaller panels are all out of the question now, they are redundant, as of this week.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

Christiaan
Protege
"KBK" wrote:
There are now about 3-4-5 new panels of the correct type and size emerging into the marketplace. they can be bought int he form of a phablet, right now.

when I say correct size, I mean 1080p, approximately 6.5" diagonal.

So the smaller panels are all out of the question now, they are redundant, as of this week.

That's exciting news. 6.5" sounds really good. I'd imagine that is just about the sweet spot for a consumer product that includes binocular IPD adjustment. Thanks for the update, KBK.

Cgpnz
Honored Guest

Links please.

Cgpnz
Honored Guest
Inscothen, where do you get the idea mipi is on sharp 5"er? I checked and the FHD sharp 5" is using snapdragon soc
which is the same thing as Samsung Galaxy S4.

Cgpnz
Honored Guest
Shame on the five minute analyses that presume S4 is mipi, especially those on mtbs, given the import
for head mounted devices. Saying S4 is mipi because S3 is,is pathetic.

I am now reasonably confident that S4 is eDP. Less so that it is strictly eDP compliant and not
some proprietary derivative such as using 5 lanes without the aux lane. But probably not, such a change would
cause more engineering in tight deadlines, it would be a straight incorporation of eDP vmdl/whatever hardware code.

Here's my evidence in a nutshell:
- black and white the samsung white paper. the exynos 5 dual came before the octa, which is a fab size reduction
and possibly a powerVR gpu addition. The extra cores were not used hence a waste of power, hence snapdragon
which would have the same soc stuff. Note it would have both eDP and mipi interfaces for any use:
there is plenty of space on soc chips.
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/Exynos/data/Enjoy_the_Ultimate_WQXGA_S...

- almost black and white: lack of promotion (of S4's use of mipi) by the mipi alliance
here's the timeline S4 design time early 2012 or earlier wuxga (1950x1080) FHD needs about 10gbps
mipi D-phy could do 1G (more like 800mbps) per lane (2 twisted wires and ground). mar 2013 and they (mipi alliance)
are promoting their M-phy spec gear 3 which can do 6gbps, for many applications.

I am about to set up a arduino as edid spoofer (if edid isn't used) , and to assert the hpd wire, provide 3.3v etc, using i2c
and then get off the wire.

I am wondering about amoled power supply, is there an extra negative voltage required?
I will be coding in arduino, a edid constructor to flip the various timing numbers such as synch offset, width, polarity.

Whatever happened in OculusVR? It would have been nice to get an anonymous message explaining their failure
to link the S4, if they failed.

Cgpnz
Honored Guest
One question for the techjunkies out there. Does reversing ground/3.3volts on electronics stuff them up?
They say putting 5 volts on 3.3v'ers can cause damage.

Inscothen
Explorer
"Cgpnz" wrote:
Inscothen, where do you get the idea mipi is on sharp 5"er? I checked and the FHD sharp 5" is using snapdragon soc
which is the same thing as Samsung Galaxy S4.

http://www.panelook.com/LS050T1SX01_SHARP_5.0_LCM_overview_17692.html

Cgpnz- if so concerned on the interface, try emailing Samsung. I hope it's eDP because you already bought it and I'd like to try one out too and eDP would be easiest to build a circuit for.

"Cgpnz" wrote:
Shame on the five minute analyses that presume S4 is mipi, especially those on mtbs, given the import
for head mounted devices. Saying S4 is mipi because S3 is,is pathetic.

pathetic? ouch. Saying that maybe it's MIPI because a previous version was MIPI is not pathetic. Just that might indicate it's also a MIPI panel.

You do know eDP was intended as a replacement for LVDS in notebooks, tablets and all-in-one PC right?

and that MIPI display interface was intended for smaller devices?

Cgpnz
Honored Guest
Inscothen, I appreciate the links. So mipi can do 1920x1200x24bpp. A bit off my leads.
Did you read the white paper? Exynos 5 dual is a next gen cell phone with the first use of eDP
In a mobile.