cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whos doing Galaxy S4 eDP hack?

Cgpnz
Level 2
Well I have finally ordered a S4 replacement screen and a few test cables (has the connector/cable).

www.etradesupply.com

it was usd 230, at least twice the expected price, but thats secondary parts market for you.
I will get a display port splitter (one that does stream split and not just mirroring.): first
for the two eyes and second hopefully for some electronic shorting separation from an expensive
display port source.

My main reason for the topic is to ask if anyone else has done this and what problems were encountered.

I have worn out my google eyes looking for eDP hacks: there is but one lonely 10" iPad retina example.

Surely the awesomeness of this endeavor would cause more hackster outcomes.
46 REPLIES 46

Inscothen
Level 3
Here's a spec from Samsung exnyos 5 dual:

LCD single display supporting max WQXGA 24bpp RGB YUV formats through MIPI DSI or eDP

MIPI DSI(4 lane) can do 1920x1200@60hz and 2560x1600@30hz. On the exynos 5 it has eDP(4 lane) for up to 2560x1600 and MIPI DSI(4 lane) for up to 1920x1200. There's still a chance the OLED uses eDP, but I haven't seen eDP on anything smaller than the iPad 3 and the iPad mini uses a Samsung MIPI LCD.

Cgpnz
Level 2
Inscothen,
This one, about mipi mentions the S4 sensor but not the real big fish, the display. Again it is what is not said.

http://www.newelectronics.co.uk/electronics-technology/mipi-interface-finds-use-in-medical-and-autom...

Inscothen
Level 3
I've been looking but can't find any more info. Other than contacting Samsung, I don't know how you can find out what interface the s4 panel uses. I really do hope it's eDP because we still don't have a MIPI circuit board ready. There's only two RGB->MIPI chips I saw and someone has to design a circuit so good luck and I'm looking forward to updates.

KBK
Level 4
"Inscothen" wrote:
I've been looking but can't find any more info. Other than contacting Samsung, I don't know how you can find out what interface the s4 panel uses. I really do hope it's eDP because we still don't have a MIPI circuit board ready. There's only two RGB->MIPI chips I saw and someone has to design a circuit so good luck and I'm looking forward to updates.

Most chip manuals will come with an 'idealized' layout and connectivity diagram/schematic included. A road map for the basics of building the given board. It's time consuming to get into designing the given boards, but relatively straight forward.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

Inscothen
Level 3
Ok KBK get to it 😉 :lol: just kidding, I'm not a circuit builder so even the basics would take a long time for me. Plus building prototype boards and testing would require the chips which might take awhile to get for the MIPI ic.(I don't know of any US sources for the Solomon or Toshiba)

I don't think oculus would share their circuit, but it'd be really cool if they did.

Cgpnz
Level 2
Holy hell, today I got a beautiful black case and a displayport splitter delivered.
Is that an omen or what! And hmm, the need to get better resolution is not that great.
You may get better visualization of distant objects, but looking closely at the trees and walls
In Tuscany is lovely. I can see how with these googles 3d manipulation will enter a new phase.

Cgpnz
Level 2
Just found, this guy says its eDP.

http://galaxy4review.com/galaxy-4-review-hands-on

Inscothen
Level 3
I read that page Cgpnz, what does 10 eDP mean? Is that a custom interface or something? Like 10 pins/contacts?

Cgpnz
Level 2
I thought it was a typo.
My current guess interpretation of the connector traces on the motherboard is:
4 lanes (-,+,'gnd), 1 aux, power grnd, 3.3v, 3 pins for touch i2c interface, and a pin to assert
Panel self refresh. There is no backlight, but I wonder about a possible negative supply of the
Amoled. So that's 4 lanes, 1 aux, 1pwr gnd, 1 3.3v, 1 i2c, 1 psr, 1 possible neg volts, 10 eDP??

Cgpnz
Level 2
Inscothen, I've take your advice and did a contact-us message to the local Samsung site.
I guess the old fashioned approach could help when there is a blank on the web.
Who knows where/how far long the corporate marketing food chain such messages go.

Perhaps it would be good if anyone interested could try their local Samsung site.

Likely as not such enquiries probably will come up against a proprietary wall. Such is probably the reason behind the lack of info on the web, other than total disinterest in internals.

So leads like the admin of galaxys4review should be pursued.