cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Gear VR looks better then my CV1?

RedRizla
Level 15
I'm starting to think I must have a faulty CV1, because I've just got a Gear VR and things look a lot clearer to me in that headset. I've read numerous posts that says CV1 has a better display then Gear VR, but things don't look like this to me. I think my CV1 might be showing up one to many God Rays and if this is the case would this be classed as a fault? I've found myself using the Gear VR when there is a game or app that's available on both devices. The Gear VR screen just looks much more crisp clearer with zero God Rays. I wish I could just pull out these lenses on the CV1 and see what it looked like with Gear VR lenses.
5 REPLIES 5

Hiro_Protag0nist
Level 13
I used two different Gear VRs for around 18 months or so, both with the S6 which had the best screen - the Rift definitely has a better image - i'm surprised by this, lovethis.  You could do with checking out another Rift somehow.

RedRizla
Level 15

andyring said:

I used two different Gear VRs for around 18 months or so, both with the S6 which had the best screen - the Rift definitely has a better image - i'm surprised by this, lovethis.  You could do with checking out another Rift somehow.


Does you CV1 display look like it's blurred due to the God Rays? I don't get this with Gear VR and I think this is why it looks so much more clearer. I thought I would see a lot of screen door using a Gear VR because of the lenses it uses, but I only see about the same amount as I see in the CV1? Maybe it's because I'm not seeing the horrible God Rays for a change. 

HiThere_
Level 9

lovethis said:

I'm starting to think I must have a faulty CV1,
because I've just got a Gear VR and things look a lot clearer to me in
that headset. I've read numerous posts that says CV1 has a better
display then Gear VR, but things don't look like this to me.


The 2015 99$ Gear VR has a critical feature the six times more expensive "high end" 2016 CV1 is totally missing out on : It has a focus dial !

That focus dial allows you to fine tune the Gear VR display even if your view is good enough that you don't need to wear glasses (yet), and in many cases also allows glass wearers to use the Gear VR without having to wear their own glasses underneath it.

And I believe what you are noticing with the enhanced focus adjustment that the Gear VR provides and the CV1 doesn't... is that it's time for you to get your eyes checked (whether you already wear glasses or not).

Short version : It's you that has a (slightly) faulty view, not your CV1. It's just that the Gear VR can make up for it while the CV1 absolutely can't 🙂

PS : Until you get your eyes checked I suggest giving the CV1 a big skip and sticking to the Gear VR only.

Hiro_Protag0nist
Level 13

lovethis said:


andyring said:

I used two different Gear VRs for around 18 months or so, both with the S6 which had the best screen - the Rift definitely has a better image - i'm surprised by this, lovethis.  You could do with checking out another Rift somehow.


Does you CV1 display look like it's blurred due to the God Rays? I don't get this with Gear VR and I think this is why it looks so much more clearer. I thought I would see a lot of screen door using a Gear VR because of the lenses it uses, but I only see about the same amount as I see in the CV1? Maybe it's because I'm not seeing the horrible God Rays for a change. 


Well i get god rays from white writing - usually when they put large titles on a black background but it is clear where that is coming from and this does not affect the overall image when using apps or playing games.

Screen door, in my opinion is better on the Rift than it was on the Gear VR but Cyril may have a point with what he said.

HiThere_
Level 9
I'll add that having a blurred vision has the secondary effect of reducing the screen door effect, which also explains why you would notice it less on the Rift.

You can test that on the Gear VR thanks to it's focus dial : The more you blur your view, the less you can notice the screen door effect, as the crisp black lines separating the leds that create the screen door effect are progressively blurred (blended) into the color pixels instead.

Of course most people prefer a crisp view, and without one you can't read small text, so it's better to leave some screen door effect then to get rid of it with too much blur.

But in some cases where no small text reading is required and the screen door effect is more annoying then it should be, like when watching still pictures (photographs) instead of moving objects : You can reduce that annoying screen door effect by blurring your view a bit on purpose. On the Gear VR that is.