cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is this cash grab/scam even on the Oculus Store?

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is such a blatant cash grab/scam it amazes me that it's allowed on Home. 

http://www.roadtovr.com/dating-lessons-review/
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1166940850052305/
49 REPLIES 49

elboffor
Consultant
Well apparently we need an app to tell us how to scam women to sleep with us, you can sign up to morons who will spout shit about how "they" did it without VR as well, so I don't see how having an app to book prostitutes for you would be any different.
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee

elboffor said:

Well apparently we need an app to tell us how to scam women to sleep with us, you can sign up to morons who will spout shit about how "they" did it without VR as well, so I don't see how having an app to book prostitutes for you would be any different.

There are a lot of people out there telling you shit about everything. But this is something special, right? I've seen a lot of people get offended by this.

I am sure this app will NOT tell you how to "scam women to sleep with" you or anyone else.
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Am I the only one disturbed that the Age Rating for this is 17+ ???

:#

OpticKing
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:

Am I the only one disturbed that the Age Rating for this is 17+ ???

:#

Gotta learn how to scam teh womens early, there's many many years of failure ahead for people like this, so why not get a jump start?

Blyss4226
Rising Star
Just FYI to make it clear(because apparently we didn't) - Nobbs and I sort of found this together and we were posting it because THIS GUY is a scam. The type of app alone is not a problem and indeed VR could actually lend itself to this type of thing extremely well. I'm not ashamed to admit I would be the exact target audience for such an app either.

The problem is the guy, not the type of app. Because I WOULD be the target audience, that's why it upsets me. This guy goes around claiming he's this amazing dating coach.That alone is not a problem, but just google his name "Magic Leone" and there is a host more stuff about him and his very suspicious history. He claims he can seduce any woman ever, makes outrageous claims about himself, and so on and so forth. The hallmark of a scammer.

I would have much less of a problem if it was in the Gallery section with the not so very well curated warning(though I still wouldn't like it tbh.) But because a section like that exists, and because this is not in it, it's almost like Oculus saying "We approve of this." Is that the message you want to send?

Furthermore why is Steam showing it as early access and Oculus not?

Anyway that was the point we were trying to make.
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD

Anonymous
Not applicable

elboffor said:

There's been an app available for that for years - it's called Alcohol  😛

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee

Blyss4226 said:

Just FYI to make it clear(because apparently we didn't) - Nobbs and I sort of found this together and we were posting it because THIS GUY is a scam. The type of app alone is not a problem and indeed VR could actually lend itself to this type of thing extremely well. I'm not ashamed to admit I would be the exact target audience for such an app either.

The problem is the guy, not the type of app. Because I WOULD be the target audience, that's why it upsets me. This guy goes around claiming he's this amazing dating coach.That alone is not a problem, but just google his name "Magic Leone" and there is a host more stuff about him and his very suspicious history. He claims he can seduce any woman ever, makes outrageous claims about himself, and so on and so forth. The hallmark of a scammer.

I would have much less of a problem if it was in the Gallery section with the not so very well curated warning(though I still wouldn't like it tbh.) But because a section like that exists, and because this is not in it, it's almost like Oculus saying "We approve of this." Is that the message you want to send?

Furthermore why is Steam showing it as early access and Oculus not?

Anyway that was the point we were trying to make.

But what specifically makes him a "scam"?
"He claims to be an amazing dating coach." So, what? You can do that. Maybe he is. Can you proof him wrong?
"He has a suspicious history." What does that mean? Was he a drug dealer?
"He claims he can seduce any woman ever." Okay. That is called (bad) advertising. Of course he is not able to seduce any woman ever. But if you're going to sell your service, you don't say: "I cannot seduce all women. But I can seduce a lot." Did you ever watched an advertising? They lie to you all the fucking time. Not one product is as good as the advertising is telling you (not even the Rift! Look at the add for Edge of Nowhere! Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxuCr0f8tKA)

So, what you tell (and everyone does that) is: "I can seduce every woman ever!"
It is just advertising to get people hooked. And in that way every form of advertising is a bit scam, right?

So, what is the real problem here? The real problem is that nobody can proof that person wrong. But because of his very bold exaggerated advertising statements people are convinced that he must be a scam.
Is anyone here able to tell if the guy lies or if his skills aren't good?
I've read a movie criticism the other day. The author of that criticism said that the movie looks like a game from the 90's. Funny. Because he has no idea what he is talking about. And why is that?
I am not able to tell you if one car mechanic is good at his job. Why? Because I have no clue about the topic. If a car mechanic tells me, that he could repair every car in the world, I could think: "That is a bold statement. He must be a scam!" But in order to proof him wrong, I'll have to see him fail. If he is able to repair every car I give to him, that does not proof that he is right, because he still had not repaired every car in the world yet. But at least he hasn't been proven wrong so far either.
I could not tell if a musician is good at his job. You may could tell when he is really bad, because everyone who's listen to music has some minimal form of knowledge about that topic. But I can't tell the musician how to play his instrument to make better music.
To know if something is a lie, you need to know the truth. To know if something is bad, you know what's good.

Let's take a look on the store text:
Dating Lessons developed by Cerevrum Inc. is the very first VR dating
training course which will give a man the skillset to build a dating
life he wishes for. Men are expected to be always strong, confident and
charming. But it is not easy at all! How to approach a woman? What to
say to interest her? With the help of Magic Leone
(www.attractionmethods.com), every man gets a chance to overcome his
low-esteem or shyness
. 11 lessons and 7 practical interactive sessions
will give men tools to enhance their power of attraction and develop
behavior patterns to handle stress and anxiety
. Following these simple
pieces of advice you can change your dating life forever.

We realize that dating is a universal topic which concerns everyone
regardless of age, gender, orientation, and citizenship. We are starting
with a course for men testing a new format, looking for feedback to see
whether such content packaging finds its audience. As a next step, we
would like to create a course for women.
I marked the promises. I see nothing wrong here. Nothing. Everything on the list is absolutly possible. If this app is the way to go or if there are better methods to learn those skills, that is another type of question.

On a private note: I do think that some PUAs are really good at what they are doing. You can learn a lot if you have enough dedication and disciplin. Learning "dating" or "flirting" is just some type of "controversial education", because many people are thinking that we are born with that skill (funny enough). Of course we are learning those social skills over time by practise (or maybe not, if you are sitting at home playing video games). And if not you're lacking of it.
I do not know if that guy is good at what he is doing. The video does look a bit cheap. So, he doesn't seem to be good at presenting his knowledge in an VR Dating app. But that does not mean he is bad at the other things.

It is also good to recognize your own lack of knowledge or competence in the topics you aren't good at.

That all leads to the Dunning-Kruger-Effect (which is surprisingly funny and interesting at the same time):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRBmBzLusoY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y5ia2CEt5c&t=1s

P.S.: I do have some knowledge on that topic. But I am not that good in english, especially at grammar. So, it took me about 3 hours to write this text. My friend the google translater is also bad at english I guess. But he would never admit. Cheers!
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I found that one App trying to charge money to cure a persons spider phobia to be more of a scam than this. You cant even have sex with a spider...

OpticKing
Expert Trustee
I personally agree with the OP. It seems just like a shot in the dark trying to cash grab from hopeless vr nerds (I can see people assuming anyone who uses vr regularly to be the stereotypical WoW guy from south park.) 10$ for this... "you want to touch the penis, yes?" stuff. That's a scam in my book. I'm not saying oculus needs to put EVERY game/app under a magnifier, but let's at least notice when we're being walked on by someone who's attempting to take advantage of "socially awkward nerds".

Just my 2c.