cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why not 4k?

Tiggertown
Honored Guest
So when people say they want oculus with 4k screens, do they mean each screen to have 4k or altogether? which would actually be 2000p each. Also people say 4k is not currently possible for oculus? Well, why not? Since the technology already exists and samsung are even bringing out 4k mobiles.
160 REPLIES 160

Frito
Explorer
"knack" wrote:
easy:

* hard got 75fps with 1080p,
* going very hard got 90fps (possible) with CV1 and his 1440p screen.
* impossible got any of this FPS with 4k screen in the next years.

lol

You can have a 4k screen and still run 1080... this has been said like 903983489489 times already
Backer "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey

raidx
Protege
"Frito" wrote:
"knack" wrote:
easy:

lol

You can have a 4k screen and still run 1080... this has been said like 903983489489 times already

yeah but what is the point right now... it would cost us More $$, more chance to get dead pixels and right now, etc

down scaling from 4k to a 1440P panel rift would be amazing if you can handle it... well I guess since I did not see a 1440P through any lens cup yet.

1080P is not bad but we can still see the tiny door effect... 1440P should be pretty nice tho

Frito
Explorer
"raidx" wrote:
"Frito" wrote:
"knack" wrote:
easy:

lol

yeah but what is the point right now... it would cost us More $$, more chance to get dead pixels and right now, etc

down scaling from 4k to a 1440P panel rift would be amazing if you can handle it... well I guess since I did not see a 1440P through any lens cup yet.

1080P is not bad but we can still see the tiny door effect... 1440P should be pretty nice tho

I guess its more of a future proof thing ? and better screen quality overall ? We all want CV to be the best it can be 😄

sc4r
Honored Guest
Wow, people are still saying graphics cards aren't powerful enough. Wake up, AAA games are made according to current flagship cards milking every last flop so that users need to buy them to run those games well, VR is not like that, you don't need complicated graphics to have great experiences. A lot of people say their best experiences in the rift are Minecraft and Half life 2. Also with 4k you won't need as much antialiasing. And if you reeeally want to play crysis or far cry 4 you can always upscale. It's like people never listen to these arguments and just keep on going how we don't have powerful enough PCs... bullshit. We were ready for 4k years ago, display prices weren't. Sadly indeed we won't see 4k for CV1, but no way is it because of render power.

Frito
Explorer
Powerful enough to run 4k SBS rendering high fps? Im not sure about that...

Also, you may not need uber graphics but they sure help... HL2 in VR is awesome, but the antique textures and low polys are still there.

Paul33993
Honored Guest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_oTvUl88hs

I think curved OLED is a much better priority and possibility. I know people in the past have questioned whether there would be any benefit or whether it would be a nightware from a distortion POV, but in Carmack's recent SMU talk, he specifically mentioned he thought curved OLEDs could be the next breakthrough in the screen roadmap.

He diagrams on the whiteboard during the Q&A section towards the end. Specifically mentioning that if you could curve the panel in the same form as the curved lenses, that you'd see a MAJOR improvement in the quality of the experience. I'm going to assume this means you wouldn't be wasting so much of the screen (like we presently do). Didn't realize how much wasn't visible till I had to try and find hidden things on the desktop while running in extended mode. Getting more from a 1440p panel is a whole lot more efficient than brute forcing it with a 4K panel.

wildone106
Honored Guest
No devs are making 4k content bcus no one has a machine/card that can run it so yea, hang tight for 5 years.

Celetaris
Honored Guest

Zer0kewl
Honored Guest
Also (don't really know much about this so sorry if I'm just totally wrong) don't we want to get away from all this anyway? Aren't the best displays going to be something to do with a bunch of tiny panels or mirrors reflecting light into your eyes? Or does that also include some sort of resolution?

Hopefully that was understandable lol.

equusvenustas
Honored Guest
"zer0kewl" wrote:
Also (don't really know much about this so sorry if I'm just totally wrong) don't we want to get away from all this anyway? Aren't the best displays going to be something to do with a bunch of tiny panels or mirrors reflecting light into your eyes? Or does that also include some sort of resolution?

Hopefully that was understandable lol.

Currently microdisplays are expensive, and the optics needed to achieve High field of view with them are really complex, heavy, bulky and expensive. One possible solution would be to use light field optics (Nvidia is already working with that )but the resolution of the display would have to be at least an order of magnitude higher than the desired resolution.There is a guy in MTBS3D that is working in something to solve this.
Edit:

Knowledge, the ever growing and most powerful tool known. Pick it up! the common fools are scared of it!