cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Oculus be able to do anything about the many $1000 CV1s on ebay?

SerVitor
Level 5
This is basically people who preorder then instead of cancelling the order (if they change to vive) they keep their place in the queue and resale their item for a huge profit because of the high demand for this item.

And also of course people who preorder lots of the Cv1s and resell on ebay so main purpose to sell them on for huge profits.

i do think this is a bit scummy but im not sure what Oculus can do about it unfortunately.
i5-4690k 16 gig Ram Win 7 64bit 8 gig ZOTAC AMP EDITION GTX1080
48 REPLIES 48

DigitylRise
Level 8
@deanogur And then that's when Oculus and Ebay ban reselling RIfts on Ebay....then you have a garage full of Rifts and have to resell on a local listing website, meeting with each person one by one.  😄

cybereality
Level 16
So, resale is prohibited according to the Terms of Sale.
 You may not purchase Products from the Oculus website for commercial resale.

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/terms/sale/

However, I doubt we have the time or resources to hunt down every ebay auction.

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Reselling does nothing for VR.

It makes me think I should have maintained my pre-order and sold it on ebay at cost... just to spite the scalpers.

Actually, if Oculus just offered a few on ebay at cost (anonymously of course) until they arrived in stores, wouldn't that mess up the scalpers?

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19042.964)

comixcroz
Level 5
How can this guy be shipping on March 28th.  He has a 32 order.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oculus-Rift-CV1-Consumer-Bundle-PRE-ORDER-Ships-to-me-on-March-28-/252326159...

ThreeDeeVision
Level 9
Maybe that 1-3 week email was just to mess with them  B).  It would be hilarious if their accounts got tagged for not being able to fulfill.  Not that all ebay sales are a completely bad thing as it lets some people get Rifts that otherwise couldn't.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

TheCenturion
Level 2
That's cute, Aussies have to pay that much just for the base pre-order. 

I've already seen them start popping up here in Australia too, although I've seen some go as high as $2,000... though admittedly the $1,500 one I saw was quite tempting considering my estimated delivery is allllll the way back in July... 😞

InuHanyou1701
Level 4

SerVitor said:

This is basically people who preorder then instead of cancelling the order (if they change to vive) they keep their place in the queue and resale their item for a huge profit because of the high demand for this item.

And also of course people who preorder lots of the Cv1s and resell on ebay so main purpose to sell them on for huge profits.

i do think this is a bit scummy but im not sure what Oculus can do about it unfortunately.

Unfortunately, moral implications of scalping aside, there's not much Oculus can do.It's not really illegal. 

DigitylRise
Level 8
It's entirely possible, maybe not this time with Rift; Though, when PS4/Xbone launched, Ebay limited everyone to only selling 4 consoles a week. Don't know if this was forced on Ebay from the big corporations, or if it was something Ebay felt was necessary for whatever reasons. Sure, 4 is more than enough you might think, but at that time, there were an insane amount of scalpers that had a large inventory of pre-orders to resell.   

jim1174
Level 4
The only idiots are the ones who buy from the scalpers. I remember when people use to do this with consoles back in the 90's  

roadczar
Level 4
WTF? 😕 Free market -embrace it!