cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Oculus be able to do anything about the many $1000 CV1s on ebay?

SerVitor
Level 5
This is basically people who preorder then instead of cancelling the order (if they change to vive) they keep their place in the queue and resale their item for a huge profit because of the high demand for this item.

And also of course people who preorder lots of the Cv1s and resell on ebay so main purpose to sell them on for huge profits.

i do think this is a bit scummy but im not sure what Oculus can do about it unfortunately.
i5-4690k 16 gig Ram Win 7 64bit 8 gig ZOTAC AMP EDITION GTX1080
48 REPLIES 48

pedrw
Level 5
Blablablabla
xw9dcjunr6ry.jpg

Marconi
Level 3
I was one of those idiots way back in the 90's who payed £700 for a PS1. At the time it was worth it as it was mind blowing. Not sure I would do it now being a bit wiser.
APPLE LOVE iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro, iMac GTX 970, 16GB, Water-cooled MONSTER.

maxpare79
Level 10

Marconi said:

I was one of those idiots way back in the 90's who payed £700 for a PS1. At the time it was worth it as it was mind blowing. Not sure I would do it now being a bit wiser.

Haha well back in 1990 I bought a Super Famicom from almost 500$, keep in mind I live in Canada, not Japan lol just couldn't wait to get my hands on it. And I can tell you I would do it all again lol ,I was the coolest kid on the block!

You can still see glimpse of that in me with VR, I love VR, but there's nothing I love more to be the first to show it to people. I think I love showing it as much as I love experiencing it
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

VizionVR
Level 8
I don't see a major problem with it as long as the buyer knows their Rift will have ZERO warranty and support. There are a few countries that Rift doesn't ship to. Enthusiasts deserve a Rift if they want one.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

Calanar
Level 2

maxpare79 said:

How soon before we see the first Chinese knockoff, like in the cellphone world?

See AntVR. Not a good knock off though.
Michael Tenery, Software, RPG and Game Developer. Imagine Role Playing: http://www.role-playing.com

TheOgure
Level 5
I'm not a supporter of scalpers but, I am surprised that there aren't even more people trying to leverage the resale market given the current all-too-common spirit of "anything Goes" in business.  Then mix some of that into politics and that's how we end up with the huge mess we have now.  The climate does lend itself to increasing the popularity of VR though; escaping reality is becoming more appealing! 😛

Syrellaris
Level 8

Mradr said:

Minitu said:

They sould do nothing.

From day one you and Oculus choose to live in a capitalistic economy, so don't be surprised if some people is trying to make easy cash. From day one we have concurred that getting easy cash from other people needs and whishes its ok and perfectly ethical.

Not that I like how things are...

What does capitalistic economy have to do with anything? You can have this with any economy, lol.

Anyways, they already have something in place - NO SUPPORT. Aka, people that buy those rift will be at the mercy of the reseller if there are any problems. Oculus has and will check on the purchaser information first and will deny help if any information is found that the item was resold.

Reselling in Europe is not forbidden though and with the proper receipt, received from the reseller, they still have the rigtht for warranty. I do agree that it is bad though and oculus should stop them before they gain there rifts.

Also..its stupid for buying these from Ebay when you can get them cheaper from the manufacturer.

Zoomie
Level 11
This is the problem with online pre-orders and limited stock.
Jan 6th in the Oculus Shop

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

Syrellaris
Level 8

Zoomie said:

This is the problem with online pre-orders and limited stock.
Jan 6th in the Oculus Shop

Got to love the "shopping" crowd during sales days like black friday? ugh..Glad I don't deal with that shit.

Percy1983
Level 9
I suppose not as many scalpers would have ordered early enough.

Many may have seen the price and stopped as they didn't know they wouldn't be charged. Also the 1 per customer would have stopped many in there tracks as we know scalpers love to get as many as possible.

What does annoy me is the fact my order is probably in April due to scalpers or at least delayed.

The simple solution is people stop buying off said scalpers or they flood the market with stock.

Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w