cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Santa Cruz be capable of 1:1 environments?

PrimeDerektive
Explorer
I'd love to see 1:1 environments like The Void with SC, but with no knowledge of the calibration process of SC I have no idea if it'd be possible. I always assumed The Void pulled it off by just calibrating each headset in a very specific spot and then making sure the 3d environment lines up with the real life one very, very closely, but would something like this be doable with SC?
13 REPLIES 13

LZoltowski
Champion
Since SC is inside out tracking it NEED's to have 1:1 tracking, if it works like I think it does, it builds a persistent 3d image/map of the environment by tracking features and points using the arrays of cameras it has, then create a map (kind of like live photogrammetry).
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

PrimeDerektive
Explorer

Since SC is inside out tracking it NEED's to have 1:1 tracking, if it works like I think it does, it builds a persistent 3d image/map of the environment by tracking features and points using the arrays of cameras it has, then create a map (kind of like live photogrammetry).

Right, I guess the question is like, could I create a rough blocked out 3d model of the interior of my house, calibrate my SC by walking through all the rooms of my house, and then tweak the position of my 3d modeled version in my scene so it lined up 1:1?

LZoltowski
Champion

Right, I guess the question is like, could I create a rough blocked out 3d model of the interior of my house, calibrate my SC by walking through all the rooms of my house, and then tweak the position of my 3d modeled version in my scene so it lined up 1:1?

That is a good question, we can only hypothesize at the moment, depends what the API/SDK will expose. 

It would be amazing if you could export the calibration data as a point cloud out of the headset, that would give you a blueprint to build your model, and then have the model snap to the point cloud within the headset, but that is all speculation at the moment.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

I'd love to see 1:1 environments like The Void with SC, but with no knowledge of the calibration process of SC I have no idea if it'd be possible. I always assumed The Void pulled it off by just calibrating each headset in a very specific spot and then making sure the 3d environment lines up with the real life one very, very closely, but would something like this be doable with SC?

Sadly you would not create a good emulation of The VOID even if you could just do the 1:1 environment.
You would not be able to do:

- the environmental fx effects
- track and operate the Forcefeedback Gun
- track the hands
- the haptic vest
- the network play / avatar support
- ....or achieve the graphical performance!!!

It would be a poor emulation of what is a high-level LBE VR experience. As we describe it "Unachievable@home" - sorry!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

PrimeDerektive
Explorer

kevinw729 said:

Sadly you would not create a good emulation of The VOID even if you could just do the 1:1 environment.
You would not be able to do:

- the environmental fx effects
- track and operate the Forcefeedback Gun
- track the hands
- the haptic vest
- the network play / avatar support
- ....or achieve the graphical performance!!!

It would be a poor emulation of what is a high-level LBE VR experience. As we describe it "Unachievable@home" - sorry!

I mean, obviously I don't hope to match a multi-million dollar installation, but personally I thought the 1:1 environment was the most impressive component of the void. No need for a tracked gun, I'd be happy with the touch controllers. I'd definitely target a lower fidelity art style. Fx and networking, I'm not sure if you were ragging on Santa Cruz or assuming I don't have those skillsets? Haha.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

PrimeDerektive said:
 I mean, obviously I don't hope to match a multi-million dollar installation, but personally I thought the 1:1 environment was the most impressive component of the void. No need for a tracked gun, I'd be happy with the touch controllers. I'd definitely target a lower fidelity art style. Fx and networking, I'm not sure if you were ragging on Santa Cruz or assuming I don't have those skillsets? Haha.

Haha... no, no, I did not intend any slight on either party - just pointing out that The VOID was more its sum of parts than just 1:1.

To your point, I think that is a factor in the 'crossroads' that consumer VR finds itself against the boom in Out-of-Home entertainment - many of the VR enthusiast may have missed what makes "great VR" - and fixated on what could be paired down to make "cheap" or "good enough" VR!

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

PrimeDerektive
Explorer

kevinw729 said:

PrimeDerektive said:

Haha... no, no, I did not intend any slight on either party - just pointing out that The VOID was more its sum of parts than just 1:1.

To your point, I think that is a factor in the 'crossroads' that consumer VR finds itself against the boom in Out-of-Home entertainment - many of the VR enthusiast may have missed what makes "great VR" - and fixated on what could be paired down to make "cheap" or "good enough" VR!

That's fair. I mean I do think it'd be cool to do as a proof of concept for myself, but being honest I do experiential installations for an ad agency, and we've done a fair bit of VR and networked experiences, and I've been dying to do something like a pared-down Void installation, but our clients generally don't have budgets for something like OptiTrack. Lighthouse 2.0 opens the door to something similar but much cheaper but you still have to deal with the backpacks, and personally I think it'd be ideal if you could pull it off with something as low profile as Santa Cruz, hence the question.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I agree the SC is going to be a great "VR prototyping" tool - but its limitations are going to show once you try and imitate what you are use too from High-end VR. The feedback from those working on the dev-kits is that we should not get our expectations up that it is anywhere close to CV1 - and needs serious porting skilz.

How you sell this to the consumer - as being slightly better than OGO but substantially lower than CV1.... that is going to take some serious marketing skilz!

kojack
MVP
MVP
If you want a virtual environment and a real environment to be linked in this way, you need a fixed frame of reference.
With Constellation or LightHouse, you have sensors or beacons at fixed, known coordinates. The headset position is relative to that. As long as you know where in the virtual world the sensors/beacons are, the headset tracking will be consistent.

Headsets like Santa Cruz and Windows MR don't have a fixed external device to track relative to. Their tracking can be fairly consistent over smaller areas, but due to their dynamic nature, they adjust themselves as you move so over longer distances they can drift. Microsoft try to solve this using Spatial Anchors. These let the system remember points in the world. But the position of Spatial Anchors relative to each other can drift too, as the tracking corrects itself.

It really depends on what the oculus runtime on SC supports. Will they have an equivalent of Spatial Anchors?
If they provide developer access to the camera feed, we could use a library like OpenCV to spot fiducial markers in the world. But knowing Oculus, they'll keep it locked down.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2